997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

911 vs. Panamera - first post

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 11:19 AM
bhu
bhu is infamous around these parts
911 vs. Panamera - first post

Question for 911 + Panamera owners: I have a 2006 911 C4 cab. Bought new, now with 27,000 miles on it with almost 10k in the first year I owned it. When I took my car in for service, dealer gave me a 2011 Panamera 4 loaner. Really liked it. It has 4k miles used as demo/loaner. Fully loaded. Dealer is taking $15k of list. Thinking about Panamera vs. 911.

A real dilemma. Got rid of my daily driver Lexus LS a couple of months ago. Not sure whether new car appeal of Panamera will wear off in a few months and I'll be back spending $100k on new 911 or not. If so, I'd be better of keeping my current 911. Have kids, need a semi-practical daily driver, but can't decide whether to keep 911 or switch to Panamera. Opinions?

Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I would not pay big cash for the V6 Panamera. I think you may end up envying the V8.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:34 AM
bhu
I thought that too. It did feel underpowered, but the interior is ridiculous. 4S is on different level, but it is $18k more. I just can't justify it. I can justify keeping '06 911 and getting Panamera 4 before spending extra $18k for it. Porsche should have priced it $10k apart.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:52 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by chance6
I would not pay big cash for the V6 Panamera. I think you may end up envying the V8.
I disagree. The V6 is an excellent car. Enhanced driving dynamics due to lower front weight. It's not all about power, and the V6 moves rather well too.

Last edited by adias; 02-09-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:55 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Wait until Summer, your C4 value will be worth a lot more when the sun is shinning.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:00 PM
bhu
NorthVan - there's no doubt about that. I love convertibles...that's the dilemma. driving to NYC from the burbs in Connecticut in the winter, though, makes one forget about summer.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:32 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bhu
NorthVan - there's no doubt about that. I love convertibles...that's the dilemma. driving to NYC from the burbs in Connecticut in the winter, though, makes one forget about summer.
It is just around the corner, I say sit back and enjoy the 997C4, buy a $20,000 - $30,000 family mobile (perhaps a used Cayenne) and have the best of both worlds.

Old 02-09-2011, 03:22 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Don't do it, you will deeply miss the handling of a 911.

Agree with Ed. Get a Cayenne on the side.

Panameras are good, but nothing like a 911.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
The Panamera is a fantastic 4 passenger vehicle, probably the best out there. But you'd miss the unique dynamics of a 911. They're not interchangeable, they serve different masters.
CATTMAN

Old 02-09-2011, 09:57 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Very tough question and replies will vary in opinion . For instance there was a forum member whose 997S was very problematic and he traded fior a Panamera S he he posts in that section and loves the car !!!! There's also a few Panamera S and 4S guys who want to buy a Panmera Turbo on the next round .

I began writing this post unsure of what I would do if in your shoes but as i began to write it I arrived at an answer .

Keep your car and buy an "S" (or 4S if needed) .
If you opted to trade the current car (you don't sound ready yet) .. i would insist on buying the Turbo .
In my opinion the Panamera Turbo is the best sedan in the world .

Old 02-10-2011, 10:50 AM
bhu
Final Verdict: Thank you, everyone. (This is like a support group for capitalists.) I had the dealer start on all of the paperwork on the Panamera 4; I called and told him I was all set and have the car prepped for delivery. Kids and wife were excited to get a new car. This morning, when it was 22 degrees out, I dropped the top on the 911 in the garage for one last time just to see - then started driving to dealership. Then it was a no brainer. 997 is probably the best looking 911 ever. The shape is so clean, so iconic, so nuanced. NorthVan's logic is irrefutable: Summer is right around the corner. It is a champion even on the snow/ice. After owning a car for 5 years, if I am still as enthusiastic about it, it makes no sense to trade it in. I would have regretted it. It is a downer not to get that new car buzz when one is looking forward to it, but it is better than convertible-envy a few months later when the sun comes out (convertible is a big stress-reliever, I find.) Thanks to everyone for your help - this board influenced my decision the most.

Maybe European delivery on a Panamera later (based on US economy

Last edited by bhu; 02-10-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:20 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bhu
Final Verdict: Thank you, everyone. (This is like a support group for capitalists.) I had the dealer start on all of the paperwork on the Panamera 4; I called and told him I was all set and have the car prepped for delivery. Kids and wife were excited to get a new car. This morning, when it was 22 degrees out, I dropped the top on the 911 in the garage for one last time just to see - then started driving to dealership. Then it was a no brainer. 997 is probably the best looking 911 ever. The shape is so clean, so iconic, so nuanced. NorthVan's logic is irrefutable: Summer is right around the corner. It is a champion even on the snow/ice. After owning a car for 5 years, if I am still as enthusiastic about it, it makes no sense to trade it in. I would have regretted it. It is a downer not to get that new car buzz when one is looking forward to it, but it is better than convertible-envy a few months later when the sun comes out (convertible is a big stress-reliever, I find.) Thanks to everyone for your help - this board influenced my decision the most.

I hope your car has winter tires to drive it in 22F weather. Your best decision is keep your cab and get a Panamera 4 for the family. Win-win!

Old 02-10-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by adias
I hope your car has winter tires to drive it in 22F weather. Your best decision is keep your cab and get a Panamera 4 for the family. Win-win!
It was freezing here today and dry roads, I drove my car with PS2's on it. Not much traffic when I was coming to work, and it will be about 50 when I go home. Tires aren't the best, but it is OK IMO.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by bhu

Glad I could help out, I am not a fan of convertibles, but my brother is and I know how he gets with out the soft top.

Enjoy the C4, it is a great car, and if you can afford to keep it, I say do so and enjoy it.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
It was freezing here today and dry roads, I drove my car with PS2's on it. Not much traffic when I was coming to work, and it will be about 50 when I go home. Tires aren't the best, but it is OK IMO.
I'm told that summer tires should not be driven below 40F.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 911 vs. Panamera - first post