997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Tire pressure question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 04:50 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Tire pressure question...

Hi all,

Since I have to get out the air compressor and gauge (since the TPMS came on and said 1 tire is -4), I was just wondering what the best pressure I should have for all 4 tires.

99% of my time I drive on the city streets of Los Angeles, hardly ever on the freeway or canyons. It is my daily driver. It has 19" rims and the tires are OEM Conti's. The vehicle has about 22K miles and its on its 2nd set of tires.

This set was put on at 16K when I bought the car CPO.

So, since it is not really used at all for performance (too bad, huh) what tire pressure should I have for front and rear tires. I guess you could say it would be based on comfort and the crappy roads of Los Angeles.

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

PS: I certainly wish I could drive the car more "sporting" and the way it was intended. I just dont have the time nor does my commute allow for it. But, it still puts a huge smile on my face every time I sit in it and drive the sucker!

Old 02-09-2011, 05:13 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
I would just use the Porsche recommended settings, 33F 39R for my 2009. If I recall, yours is probably 34F 40F.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:06 PM
gadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to beholdgadgetman is a splendid one to behold
I also use the recommended tire pressure which is listed on the driver's door jam. On my 2008 C4S, I use 37 fronts and 44 rears.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:11 PM
EJ-997 is infamous around these parts
34f 40r for everyday driving.
36F 42R for 2 people plus luggage.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:42 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Door jam pressures are for 100mph+ and max load (at least on my car they are). You can check your owner''s manual for alternative pressures that may provide a more comfortable ride for normal daily driving - unless you don't want that.

Old 02-09-2011, 06:53 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Originally Posted by TooSixy
I would just use the Porsche recommended settings, 33F 39R for my 2009. If I recall, yours is probably 34F 40F.
I went with the 33f 39r and the TPMS automatically zeroed itself out after starting the car with these figures. Guess it likes these numbers...

Oh, didnt even have to drive the car. It automatically sensed the new pressures and updated the car...Very nice!

Now I get to drive it again tomorrow to work...Yipppeeee!

Thanks all for your help!

Old 02-09-2011, 09:45 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
2 people normal load is 33f/39r...READ YOUR OWNERS MANUAL...it;s all explained there.

Door jamb sticker show 4 people and luggage load that is higher.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:12 PM
simrohor is infamous around these parts
I live in LA also and it is my daily driver too. Mine is a 997.2 and I use 34/40 as stated in manual for cold (68 F?) and light load. I am alone for 95% of the time.

When my wife and I drive to to SF or LV, then I raise the pressures a bit to 32/42 since we have little luggage.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:52 AM
stacheman is just really nicestacheman is just really nicestacheman is just really nicestacheman is just really nicestacheman is just really nice
I always run 29f/33r, 09C4SCab-very comfortable in town and on the highways-I increase the pressures by 4 lb at the track.

Last edited by stacheman; 02-10-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: brain fart
Old 02-10-2011, 10:58 AM
goncookoo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by stacheman
I always run 33/29, 09C4SCab-very comfortable in town and on the highways-I increase the pressures by 4 lb at the track.
hehe, 29 in the rear .
I assume you meant 39.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:23 PM
stacheman is just really nicestacheman is just really nicestacheman is just really nicestacheman is just really nicestacheman is just really nice
Actually I meant 29 front and 33 rear-thanks for pointing that out!

Old 02-10-2011, 02:12 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Actually I meant 29 front and 33 rear-thanks for pointing that out!

Dangerously low pressures. You seem to value cushiness over safety. Be careful as you may end up with a blown tire at speed.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:16 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I always run 29f/33r, 09C4SCab-very comfortable in town and on the highways-I increase the pressures by 4 lb at the track.
seems really low - what car is this?

my manual specs:
----partial load / full load
18s 34/38 -------37/44
19s 34/40 -------37/44

door says: 37/44 (with a note that owner's manual lower pressures can be used for comfort if partial loaded and under 100mph).

Old 02-10-2011, 02:52 PM
I realize all of this, however the dealer set the pressures for me and so far so good. If I am not mistaken I just read in Excellence Magazine something about a GT3 recommended pressures being the same as I am running. I could be wrong as I don't have the magazine with me right now. I rarely exceed 160kms./hr. on the highways.
Mine is a 094SCab.

Old 02-10-2011, 03:19 PM
I realize all of this, however the dealer set the pressures for me and so far so good. If I am not mistaken I just read in Excellence Magazine something about a GT3 recommended pressures being the same as I am running. I could be wrong as I don't have the magazine with me right now. I rarely exceed 160kms./hr. on the highways.
Mine is a 094SCab.

If you are reading that off the TPMS screen, in Winter, then I don't doubt those number since at current temps, the pressure is much lower than at 68F. Mine were low like that even though TPMS liked it, I added some because the car just felt "off". I'll ease it back down if needed when things warm up in the Spring.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tire pressure question...