997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Debate: stepping out of an 08 M3 Coupe for a 06 997S; right thing to do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by drspeed
Ahhhh... could ponder this all day.

so machine gun style reply

Tech. Nobody mentioned it. HUGE step down from BMW. I needed bluetooth, ipod nav etc.. and only the 09- 997.2 has these avail. factory (or retrofit)

The 911 has a punishing ride at times - simple, all sports cars do. The M3 does not - its a GT. The M3 is great on a long highway trip. 911 not so much. PDK cars are better, but the revs, wind noise and tire noise at 85-90 are very obvious coming from a BMW. Again, unavoidable with nearly all sports cars. The M3 weights 700 lbs. more for a reason...

If you want a sporty car, stay with the M. If you want to buy a tool and study the art of driving - go 911. I love mine.

Prior poster hit the nail. BMWs are all becoming larger, more powerful and heavier. In other words less pure, less sports car.

If you go 05-07 997S check out the rear main seal. A known issue, but easy to completely address when replacing a clutch.

The porsche is no bull ****. It's good old boys racing car stuff. No candy coating. The M3 is a very fast comfortable GT car, with great balance, fender flares and a snarling V8. It's just not a pure sports car. BMW will never make one. It's not their way.

To each his own. If you have another vehicle, I'd definitely get the 911. I drive mine daily in the north east. If you need more comfort the M3 can't be beat.

Good luck
DRP
The M3 is no 700lbs heavier than the 997S, in fact its more like 300lbs. The E92 M3 has been weighed at 3555lbs, my 07 9997S came in at 3275lbs. This was with the non power sport seats.

Dave

Old 02-15-2011, 05:52 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Nobody loved BMWs like I did, even my family calls me a traitor! After we got my wife the 135i (6psd) I realized just how much I missed going through the gears and dumped the M5 (smg). It was painful but fact was that in city driving the SMG/V10 needed to much room to be fun and the SMG was shameful to be BMW.

When the itch came back I tested them all M6 and M3 both in 6speed only. I can't tell you how badly I wanted to love an ///M car again but nothing pulled me in. I can honestly say that the 135i is such a good package - nothing made me want to spend my money. The minute I test drove the Porsches (997C4S and GT3) I couldn't sleep for days - tossing and turning in excitement. 1 month later I walked back into the dealership with my friend to return his lease and there she was my Targa4S staring at me - deal signed. My heart pumps and the experience has been sublime and revetting every since. I could drive all day in slow traffic, fast traffic, everywhere. I think its the best car ever made in 6pseed. Its so sharp, refined, and focussed - I still get goose bumps hearing the 3.8L growl.

Good luck on your decision. A good friend of my mine just picked up a new M3 sedan, fantastic car and DD.. but it just doesn't compare to a Porsche and for me I have short commutes so I need as much compressed fun as possible.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:27 PM
bavarian06 is infamous around these parts
I wasnt sure what the default setting was but all I remember it made for a very punishing ride; it didnt help either the seats werent supportive (reminded me of s2000 seats). But not all sports cars suspension have to be stiff. If it has active electronic dampening, it should be able to soak up the bumps and yet turn stiff when going hot into a corner. When the suspension is too stiff, it would make the tires skip over uneven surfaces and cause the car to become squirrely. Personally I think the M3 EDC does this better, but not saying it handles better.

More I thought about this, I understand now why the M3 weighs so much. First the car has usable rear seats that non-midgets can sit in. The front seats has air bladders that can be adjusted to the user liking to provide further bolstering. It has a decent sized glove box, center console storage space and arm rest. It has a boot.

I know the 911 isnt a GT car but I understand why its so light now. I was always so tough on the M3 for being so heavy.

As in my situation, I'm fortunate enough to have a DD, a GT car, and a classic in my stable. So needing a car that does it all isnt an issue, although its appreciated. I fear if I'm out in town with the Porsche and need to haul anything more than four bags of grocery I would have to go home and fetch the other car (very inconvenient).

Last edited by bavarian06; 02-15-2011 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by T07S997
would u consider trade with my 2007 , 997s ?? 6 sp. 14k miles . Chrono plus..
Can you msg me the details?

Old 02-15-2011, 12:34 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by uhn2000
Nobody loved BMWs like I did, even my family calls me a traitor! After we got my wife the 135i (6psd) I realized just how much I missed going through the gears and dumped the M5 (smg). It was painful but fact was that in city driving the SMG/V10 needed to much room to be fun and the SMG was shameful to be BMW.

When the itch came back I tested them all M6 and M3 both in 6speed only. I can't tell you how badly I wanted to love an ///M car again but nothing pulled me in. I can honestly say that the 135i is such a good package - nothing made me want to spend my money. The minute I test drove the Porsches (997C4S and GT3) I couldn't sleep for days - tossing and turning in excitement. 1 month later I walked back into the dealership with my friend to return his lease and there she was my Targa4S staring at me - deal signed. My heart pumps and the experience has been sublime and revetting every since. I could drive all day in slow traffic, fast traffic, everywhere. I think its the best car ever made in 6pseed. Its so sharp, refined, and focussed - I still get goose bumps hearing the 3.8L growl.

Good luck on your decision. A good friend of my mine just picked up a new M3 sedan, fantastic car and DD.. but it just doesn't compare to a Porsche and for me I have short commutes so I need as much compressed fun as possible.
My thoughts precisely. I cross-shopped the M6 with the 997S. Hitting the M button at 70 mph was exhilarating and the extensive CF treatment of the roof and interior and other goodies like the HUD were cool but using the SMG slushbox in city driving was frustrating. I did not have the luxury of test driving a manual as none were in stock.

Old 02-15-2011, 12:45 PM
zeplow is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by bavarian06
I wasnt sure what the default setting was but all I remember it was its a very punishing ride; it didnt help either the seats werent supportive (reminded me of s2000 seats). But not all sports cars suspension have to stiff. If it has active electronic dampening, it should be able to soak up the bumps and yet turn stiff when going hot into a corner. But when the suspension is too stiff it would skip over uneven surfaces and cause the car to become squirrely. Personally I think the M3 EDC does this better, but not saying it handles better.

As in my situation, I'm fortunate enough to have a DD, a GT car, and a classic in my stable. So needing a car that does it all isnt an issue, although its appreciated. Although I fear if I'm out in town with the Porsche and need to haul anything more than four bags of grocery I would have to go home and fetch the other car (very inconvenient).
I had a 2005 S2000 when my wife bought her Boxster and I couldn't believe the comfort level and seating position that I could achieve in her seats. This is what made me first want to get a 997. I have the standard seats in my 997 and granted I don't track the car, but I am able to achieve the most comfortable, yet supportive seating position that I have ever experienced in my 997 once seated, so I'm surprised to hear you say that about the seats.

My 2008 M3 had EDC also and I didn't upgrade to the 19" wheels, you're right, it soaked up bumps great, but when in that setting, it would roll a bit in tight corners, so I would always wind up leaving it on the middle setting (I don't remember what the three were called anymore). That bugged me too, I had to drive it harder than I wanted to all the time, and I was constantly pushing buttons in anticipation of the next corner. The thigh bolsters on the seat actually used to dig into my thigh and it would become very uncomfortable for me, i think i sit with a wide legged stance, but the seats in general were comfortable.

As for the lack of storage space in the 911, I think it's really a blessing in disguise. When I take it to the office and we have to drop off a hot order at the UPS terminal, because our customer ordered late, I can never fit the box in my car, so I get off easy. More seat time for me

Old 02-15-2011, 09:57 PM
the standard seats on the 911 left you yearning for more. its a $100K and most of the car's seats werent powered, had no lumbar/ leg extensions, and did not provide adequate thigh and shoulder support.

the m3 rolled cause it sits higher relative to the 997. the 977 floorboard is literally inches from the ground; plus the driver sits very low, nice low center of gravity.

sum it up, cant go wrong with both cars. i had this predisposed thought that the 997.1S would school the M3 (since its usually matched up with the std Carrera) but i was wrong.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:00 PM
cbzzoom is infamous around these parts
the standard seats on the 911 left you yearning for more. its a $100K and most of the car's seats werent powered, had no lumbar/ leg extensions, and did not provide adequate thigh and shoulder support.
Not everyone wants a heavy seat full of motors and bladders in their car. Porsche offers *tons* of choices for seats, most of which are very good. In fact the seats are one of the big plusses, because you can pick the OEM seats that fit your body and driving style.

the m3 rolled cause it sits higher relative to the 997. the 977 floorboard is literally inches from the ground; plus the driver sits very low, nice low center of gravity.
It's a lot more complicated than that. Suspension is an inherent compromise between comfort and performance. Many of us who drive the car seriously would hate to see fancy computer-controlled adaptive dampers in the car (PASM is a very simple system that simply sets the dampers to one pressure or another, it doesn't try to guess if you're driving hard or not, which is IMO horrible).

Old 02-16-2011, 06:46 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
There are plenty of choices with a 911 - manual seats are the economical choice and save weight. They may not LOOK supportive, but in reality are very nice. I have the Sport Adaptives, which are fully electrically adjustable including lumbar bladder and adjustable thigh bolsters AND side bolsters. And they aren't small easy chairs like you'll find in a Corvette. Plenty of compromises on a 997, but seats are not one of them.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:49 PM
996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold996PCarGo is a splendid one to behold
Arrow Imho...

...in the best of worlds one would have both...

New Green performance air filter 996:
Green perfomance air filter for 996

New Schnell inhaler kit 996/997:
NIB Schnell Cold Air Inhaler w/caps

Mint “used” (600 mi.) Schnell inhaler kit 996/997:
Schnell Cold Air Inhaler w/caps & instructions

Sweet Callaway Tungsten Titanium clubs set:
Callaway GBB Tungsten/Ti golf clubs set...

Old 02-17-2011, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by cbzzoom
Not everyone wants a heavy seat full of motors and bladders in their car. Porsche offers *tons* of choices for seats, most of which are very good. In fact the seats are one of the big plusses, because you can pick the OEM seats that fit your body and driving style.

It's a lot more complicated than that. Suspension is an inherent compromise between comfort and performance. Many of us who drive the car seriously would hate to see fancy computer-controlled adaptive dampers in the car (PASM is a very simple system that simply sets the dampers to one pressure or another, it doesn't try to guess if you're driving hard or not, which is IMO horrible).
I would have to disagree. A competent suspension on a road going car should be able to handle uneven surfaces, provide a supple ride, and yet be able to take corners at high speeds.

This is a sports car, not a track car. The later would have a fixed suspension. Do not confuse and equate stiffness to mean superior handling. An overly stiff suspension would cause the tires to loose contact on bumpy surfaces.

But once again I want to remind everyone that I wasn't sure what the setting was on the car I test drove. On the M3, you can to set it to Comfort (this is my default setting), Normal (unassisted), and Sport (what my "M" button is set on, along with Sport Plus for throttle mapping). I'm a purist like the next enthusiast (prefer cars without all the electronic gadgetry asides from ABS), however it is nice to have an EDC or PASM that can absorb the bumps on the road when called for. Its safe to say 90% of the owners of these sports car will never take their cars to a single track day event. What's the point of an overly stiff suspension (if this was the normal default setting)?

As for the seats, I know there is the option for the much fancier adaptive sports seats but thats an additional $3K. At least make the sport seats with greater shoulder and thigh bolstering standard, not just the "Standard Seats." That's what I'm griping about, $100K sports car and they cant give you sport seats as standard equipment? Just my $0.02.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:44 AM
i take it back, the s2000 seats are better. i just remember the seat cushions on my s2k were very thin (but very light seats).

i would not want to take a 997 with standard seats to a track day. after three hot laps your body will be sore trying to stay seated.

m3 seats (and yes, they are heavy):

the s2000 seats looks similar to the 911 sport seat option: