997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How to value a low (<5K) mile car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 06:59 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
How to value a low (<5K) mile car?

I located a 2008 C2S with 4500 miles (yes 4500). Seller was asking 69.9 and lowered to 68.6. Car is at a non-Porsche dealer so not CPO. Car had Sport Chrono, NAV, Crests, heated seats, but NO Bose. In service was 10/31/08 (manu date 03/08) and is perfect in every way..... clean car as you would expect with only 4500 miles.

However, now that I have inceased my price range (want to get a car I am happy with), I am only 3-5K away from my first desire which was/is a C4S. For another couple grand I can get a C4S, certififed from Porsche. However, any car I locate (so far) does not have as low mileage as the C2S above. Most of the C4S' have 15-17K miles which is not a lot at all.

So, please provide your thoughts on the following:

1) C2S v. C4S. I have a SUV for the winter/rain and don't NEED the 4 but love the look. Most seem to buy 2. Why? Also for the track junkies, which I used to be with a modified M3, is the 2 or 4 more desireable for the track?
2) How do you (we) value an extremely low mileage car? It was owned by a wealthy person who put the car on a lift in the winter to avoid flat spots. Not a scratch on the car.
3) Warranty issue. 1 above has about 20 months left of original warranty and the C4S' locally are all CPO.
4) Or the same non-dealer has a 2006, Grey over black 21K miles, nice oprtions asking 54K, can probably get for 52.5. No warranty, clean car and functionally the same as the 2008 and have 15K for repairs (assuming I don't purchase aftermarket warranty).
5) Last thought..... chill out and wait for a TT. (waaasy more than I want to spend)

Important to note that non-Porsche dealer gave me a pretty good trade on my 2007 M5 which functionally values the M5 over 40K when I factor in tax.

So...... HELP! What would you do and why? The bug has bitten and I NEED a Porsche.

TIA!

Old 02-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Newman......anyone out there?

Old 02-13-2011, 02:45 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Find the car you want...otherwise you'll be second guessing your decision forever. If you want a C4S, find the right one. Low mileage may be a plus but plenty of good cars available with miles in the 15,000 - 25,000 range which is OK

Old 02-13-2011, 02:59 PM
Mikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to behold
An very low mile car is worth around 4-6k more in the books. But IMO finding an ultra low miles 997 is not as important as finding a model with right options and color combo that you love. It should be a love at first sight. If you want a C4S then you should look for it or you maybe trading up very soon and spend more money.

I just find my love last week. I'll post some photos later. The right preown is hard to find I know there is a 07 C4S with 10000km, sport seat, chrono,navi, more in guards red for 62. If imterested Pm me for the link.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:25 PM
solrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to all
why don't you look for a 2nd generation for that amount of money, I don't like the option of an older car and saving the money for repairs lol.. but a car with 10-15k miles is a low milage car so you can be looking at good options..

Old 02-13-2011, 04:29 PM
solrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to all
Old 02-13-2011, 04:42 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
5k miles in three years is probably too low. I cannot remember what the Porsche min mileage per year is. I would be concerned about seals (especially the RMS). I would like to see a car that is driven a little more than that.

Jason

Old 02-13-2011, 04:49 PM
0luke1 is infamous around these parts
+1 JEllis. Unless the car has cpo, I would be concerned about something driven so little.

On another note, my c2 was more exciting to drive in some regards compared to my tt. I felt that it demanded more from me. That said, the tt is far more safe when I really push it.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:49 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[QUOTEI located a 2008 C2S with 4500 miles (yes 4500). Seller was asking 69.9 and lowered to 68.6.][/QUOTE]

There are a few guys on this forum who paid less than 68K for a 2008 997S in 2008 when the car was new . In my opinion .. the seller can keep the car as he has priced himself out of the market.

I can address your other points but i felt that yoir first sentence was an automatic dealbreaker.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the replies. Tough for me to go too far for a car as I have trade. I have been all over autotrader, ebay and cars.com and all the cars I am interested in are all in the same price range. I respect everything you guys say and will keep at it. There was a 2008 C4S with 17K in GT Silver at a MB dealer in Natick MA for 49,995 but I missed it. Obviously no CPO.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:47 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
FWIW, '08 is the dead year IMHO. You pay the most for a car that is not second gen. Better off getting the "same" car as a '06 or '07 for less money or paying a bit more for the benefits of an '09. Most feel that the 2S has a more precise steering feel than the 4, but others would rather have the wider hips of the 4. Personal preference.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:53 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Michael_s
Thanks for the replies. Tough for me to go too far for a car as I have trade. I have been all over autotrader, ebay and cars.com and all the cars I am interested in are all in the same price range. I respect everything you guys say and will keep at it. There was a 2008 C4S with 17K in GT Silver at a MB dealer in Natick MA for 49,995 but I missed it. Obviously no CPO.
I get hesitant about cars at non authrorized dealerships. Now it's true that one guy here bought a 997 from a Mercury dealeership and found success but typically that's not the norm. More often than not the car was bought at auction as the used market can turn a dealership profit greater than many otrher used cars. Some of the auction cars are good.. others not so good. If i had to buy a used car at a non Porsche dealership Or NOT from a private owner then before I would look at a Lexus, Mercury,BMW, Mercedes , etc used lots .. I'd opt for a reputable independent lot. There are a few who have been in business for many years..

Lastly --I would not worry about 4500 miles being a negative thing on a three year old car . If nothing leaks.. then the car is basically new .

One more thing regarding a low mile cars .. I saw this recent news story which I feel is very informative. They do include three videos worth looking at. (if reading and pressed for time-- part 2 explains a lot) http://www.justnews.com/automotive/26612369/detail.html

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-13-2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:01 AM
Thanks guys. I was originally looking for a 2006-2007 but came across the low mileage 2008 and thught it derserved a 6speed expert review. I agree with the comments so far.

Old 02-14-2011, 04:31 AM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of

1) C2S v. C4S. I have a SUV for the winter/rain and don't NEED the 4 but love the look. Most seem to buy 2. Why? Also for the track junkies, which I used to be with a modified M3, is the 2 or 4 more desireable for the track?.......
Especially in your circumstance with an alternate inclement weather vehicle, I cannot see justifying the C4S over a C2S. For the track, for the road, for feel/ feedback, tactility absolutely yes the C2S over C4S. Don't discount it.

I agree that you should get what you want so that you're not second-guessing yourself, however you are smart to be asking questions so that you can refine what you really want.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:18 AM

1) C2S v. C4S. I have a SUV for the winter/rain and don't NEED the 4 but love the look. Most seem to buy 2. Why? Also for the track junkies, which I used to be with a modified M3, is the 2 or 4 more desireable for the track?
2) How do you (we) value an extremely low mileage car? It was owned by a wealthy person who put the car on a lift in the winter to avoid flat spots. Not a scratch on the car.
3) Warranty issue. 1 above has about 20 months left of original warranty and the C4S' locally are all CPO.
4) Or the same non-dealer has a 2006, Grey over black 21K miles, nice oprtions asking 54K, can probably get for 52.5. No warranty, clean car and functionally the same as the 2008 and have 15K for repairs (assuming I don't purchase aftermarket warranty).
5) Last thought..... chill out and wait for a TT. (waaasy more than I want to spend)

Important to note that non-Porsche dealer gave me a pretty good trade on my 2007 M5 which functionally values the M5 over 40K when I factor in tax.

So...... HELP! What would you do and why? The bug has bitten and I NEED a Porsche.

TIA!
1) C2S drives with more agility on warn dry roads. The AWD is heavier and great for rain or snow.

2) I like low mileage .. but would want to verify how those miles were driven by through inspection.

3) Warranty and CPO are great features but most important is whether the car is in good shape to begin with. All the warranty in the world won't diminish the headache and inconvenience of frequent repairs .. even if it's free .

4) Don't kniow . Need more info like Dme, service history.

5) A used stock 2007 Turbo will cost less than a new 997S . The problem (in my opinion) is that the car requires modifications to bring it to its full potential. That is expensive and you would be entering the car late to the Turbo party which began 4+ years ago when the car was launched.
The newest 997.2 PDK Turbo does not require mods . It also isn't as fast as a modded 997.1 but it is very fast and extremely efficient . PDK maintains boost on upshifts with such precision that it maximizes every drop of Hp whereas a stage 3 clutch in an older car is awkward .
The new car makes driving easy . The new Turbo can almost drive by itself (PDK, Torque Vectoring . every gadget ).
And yes .. a Turbo can get expensive to buy but in my opinion the car creates a long lasting impresion of enjoyment .

Last edited by yrralis1; 02-14-2011 at 05:22 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How to value a low (<5K) mile car?