997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Trade my 6speed for tiptronic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 07:00 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
Even if I can afford a PDK, I want an Automatic. Those who praise the PDK, whatever!

PDK has an automatic mode! HELLO

Also the big plus is PDK rev matches on downshifts and Tip does not thus upsetting the balance of the car under hard braking and downshifting at the track.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:04 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
...C2S Tip...e60 M5 SMG...

But again, sometimes I do not want to think which gear is needed next.
quote]
For you who are not familiar with a SMG trans, it is a pedal less clutch system. That is why I still go back to my 3 series.
- 'cause the SMG auto is no good?

Even if I can afford a PDK, I want an Automatic. Those who praise the PDK, whatever!
Affordability notwithstanding, Have you driven one? It is hardly "whatever".

FWIW, for those used to BMW SMG, PDK (Doppelkupplung=double clutch) is similar in behavior to SMG when in manual mode in that it is sequential and does not require a clutch pedal and shifts with buttons or the stick.

PDK-Auto actually works better than any TC-Auto I have driven and leagues better than SMG-Auto. I have not driven BMW's DCT (dual clutch) to compare to PDK. And I have never driven a Porsche Tip to compare to any of it.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:57 AM
T33
T33 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MarkusB1
Guys the clutch in my 997.1 cab has my knees aching... decided i must lose the clutch.

the other day i went looking at new BMWs, (i thought a bmw would be more of an automatic driving car) great cars but not head turners for me like 911s. and the local dealer also only give me 44k on a trade in when i paid 54k in November... AND there's also a 3 year warranty i bought for 3k.

i'd prefer not to lose so much money,
i'd prefer to stay with a 911, BUT would i be happy with tiptronic in this car?

Shoot me straight... what do you think my best options are? any creative ideas?? maybe i shouldn't tell these dealers my knee situation... i doubt if anyone would trade me their Tip for my 6speed, am i wrong?
Stay away from the Tip. Been there. You will not be happy. Get a PDK. You will be happy. No question.