997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Trade my 6speed for tiptronic?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 03:00 PM
MarkusB1 is infamous around these parts
Trade my 6speed for tiptronic?

Guys the clutch in my 997.1 cab has my knees aching... decided i must lose the clutch.

the other day i went looking at new BMWs, (i thought a bmw would be more of an automatic driving car) great cars but not head turners for me like 911s. and the local dealer also only give me 44k on a trade in when i paid 54k in November... AND there's also a 3 year warranty i bought for 3k.

i'd prefer not to lose so much money,
i'd prefer to stay with a 911, BUT would i be happy with tiptronic in this car?

Shoot me straight... what do you think my best options are? any creative ideas?? maybe i shouldn't tell these dealers my knee situation... i doubt if anyone would trade me their Tip for my 6speed, am i wrong?

Old 02-13-2011, 03:21 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
You might be able to fidn a 2009 with PDK coming off a 2 year lease. I've owned both Tip and PDK and PDK is a world of difference for the better.

PDK is a ultra reliable dual clutch sequential that has an auto mode....it's not your typical slush box auto.

Old 02-13-2011, 03:29 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
The tip is not a bad tranny. But with the PDK out it is badly outshined.

With a health issues and if money is a concern i see no reason not to own a tip. Still a a porsche and still and exciting ride.

Last edited by buck986; 02-13-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:04 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
the tip is a much different and better drive when using the manual buttons to shift. yes, the shifts are slow (e.g., if you're in full throttle, you shift at 6K to get your shift done at 7.5K) but not to the point where it ruins the drive. if you can afford a PDK, of course that's better, but I think you'd be happy with a tip.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:41 PM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
You have to drive it and see if it's for you. I wouldn't buy a tip but would get a pdk.

Old 02-13-2011, 04:56 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I've owned a PDK and driven a Tip. I'd invest my money in percocet or get a PDK.

Old 02-13-2011, 05:51 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
pdk all the way .

Old 02-13-2011, 06:20 PM
Spyderwheels is infamous around these parts
Pdk.

Old 02-13-2011, 06:23 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
I had the same dilemma....however, I waited for PDK to be available...its an amazing transmission...How much are willing to pay...can you get a 2009+?

Old 02-14-2011, 03:39 AM
997BLIS is infamous around these parts
I own a TIP. It is more or less an automatic tranny with manual override. If you get a TIP make sure you also get the Sport Chrono Plus option. In Sport mode the shift mapping is more aggressive and noticeably better for performance driving. The only downside in the TIP that I notice is that it always wants to be in the “most” efficient gear. This means it will likely be in a higher gear than you may normally want. For instance, I would never willingly want to be in 5th gear while cursing at 35-45 mph. But in this case the TIP makes the logical choice to be in 5th gear because you are not accelerating and don’t need a lower gear to maintain that speed. I sometimes find myself downshifting to get a little extra power exiting turns or on inclines. But this is easy to do and just takes a little getting used to. A cool feature about the TIP is it is a learning transmission. It will eventually learn your driving characteristics and adapt itself accordingly.

The PDK is far more advanced and is worth the extra coin. If it is in your budget, I high recommend the PDK if you are considering an automatic tranny. PDK has been used in racing for many years, Porsche just made it commercially available starting in ’09.

Old 02-19-2011, 04:44 PM
thxbuff2001 is infamous around these parts
I recently bought a 2008 C2S Tip CPO. Among my stable is a e60 M5 SMG. After experiencing my SMG I would think twice about buying a stick shift. But, when the time came for me to get into a porsche, I only wanted another car which my wife can drive too. At the same time, I am too lazy to drive 2 manual tranny. Sure for a purist a manual tranny is the way to go, but I am too lazy sometimes. I have driven a stick shift since i started driving.

Everytime I get into my M5 I enjoy every bit of it. I am driving my beast. But again, sometimes I do not want to think which gear is needed next. For you who are not familiar with a SMG trans, it is a pedal less clutch system. That is why I still go back to my 3 series. Actually, I have driven my 3 series faster than my M5 just because of an opportunity I had and it has been with me longer.

So I decided, the next car I would buy, I would like my wife TOO can drive and it would be an automatic.

I am enjoying every bit of it. I enjoy the tip especially when i need to downshift in overtaking, it is instantaneous. Its not thesame as my 3 series with regards to the Auto transmission. Even if I can afford a PDK, I want an Automatic. Those who praise the PDK, whatever!

Old 02-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
As stated the PDK is an automatic, a far superior and more versatile automatic. If you haven't driven one please do before you make your decision.

Old 02-19-2011, 09:59 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Everyone has already stated that the tip is not a PDK so that's established, and if you want to trade your car through a dealer you know you'll take a bath. So, if you want a tip reasonably you'll need to sell your car yourself. Other option would be to try, perhaps through a car club, to find a 2006-08 tip owner who for some reason would be interested in a swap. Further, an enterprising P-car dealer ( if there is such a thing ) ouight to be able to broker a deal for you. You can place an ad in the vendor classified here, you know.

Regardless of some of the sentiments expressed so often on this forum the tip was a pretty good transmission, commands a higher resale value according to Edmunds and others, and was actually slightly quicker 0-60 than the manual. Regretably I know several people in the Orlando area who have the same wants as yours; they're older and sick and tired of all the stop and go traffic but don't want to spend an additional 15-25k, so you are not alone.

Good luck

Last edited by tejoe; 02-19-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:32 PM
stockid is infamous around these partsstockid is infamous around these parts
PDK accept no substitution!

Last edited by stockid; 02-19-2011 at 10:35 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:50 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
PDK
tip value will be much lower in years to come..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trade my 6speed for tiptronic?