997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Brake rotor thickness

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 08:35 PM
vrnkc is infamous around these parts
Brake rotor thickness

Does anyone know the minimum thickness for the front brake
rotor on a 2005 base 997? I plan on replacing the pads but not sure if the rotors need replacement. Thanks

Old 02-17-2011, 07:02 AM
WTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by vrnkc
Does anyone know the minimum thickness for the front brake
rotor on a 2005 base 997? I plan on replacing the pads but not sure if the rotors need replacement. Thanks
I believe the minimum thickness for the rotors is stamped somewhere on the caliper.. hope this helps.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:52 AM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
I think it is stamped somewhere on the rotor, not the caliper.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:40 PM
Steamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond reputeSteamboat has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think you have to worry about the absolute thickness of the rotors. It's very unlikely they would wear down to a point where they would need to be replaced without exhibiting a variety of other undesirable symptoms much earlier. Rotors need to be replaced when they are cracked, heat scored, have spiders running between holes or slots or when they have worn unevenly and pull, shimmy, or exhibit other funky characteristics. So, if yours don't fall into one of those categories and/or you're not replacing them for peace of mind on the track, they are probably fine. That said, your car is 5+ years old and we don't know it's mileage. Depending on that, you may want to consider replacement as part of a reasonable PM program.

One final thing when they do need attention, do not waste your money to have them turned, spun or otherwise re-manufactured. It doesn't work for a Porsche or on other high end German cars. They will only last a short time and and the problems will reappear. Just bite the bullet and get some new ones. Hope this helps,

Last edited by Steamboat; 02-17-2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: second thoughts
Old 02-17-2011, 04:52 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Steamboat
I don't think you have to worry about the absolute thickness of the rotors. It's very unlikely they would wear down to a point where they would need to be replaced without exhibiting a variety of other undesirable symptoms much earlier. Rotors need to be replaced when they are cracked, heat scored, have spiders running between holes or slots or when they have worn unevenly and pull, shimmy, or exhibit other funky characteristics. So, if yours don't fall into one of those categories and/or you're not replacing them for peace of mind on the track, they are probably fine. That said, your car is 5+ years old and we don't know it's mileage. Depending on that, you may want to consider replacement as part of a reasonable PM program.

One final thing when they do need attention, do not waste your money to have them turned, spun or otherwise re-manufactured. It doesn't work for a Porsche or on other high end German cars. They will only last a short time and and the problems will reappear. Just bite the bullet and get some new ones. Hope this helps,
True, however there is still a minimum rotor thickness that has to be maintained. The tolerable wear is not that much, and may be reached long before any physical signs of failure are evident. I would not use age as a determining factor if the rotors are not showing any abuse and the wear is within tolerance.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:04 PM
vrnkc is infamous around these parts
rotor comments

Thank you all for your input.

Old 06-18-2011, 07:41 AM
Musclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud ofMusclehedz101 has much to be proud of
I looked all over my rotors & calibers but couldn't see anything. Can someone, please advise more specifically where the information is stamped?

BTW, I have an 07' 997 C4S