997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Replacing exhaust tips

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Jpg0511 is infamous around these parts
Replacing exhaust tips

I just got my CS2 and I would like to change the tips out to the S style. But I have looked around and they sell for $500 plus for tips. That is the most over priced car part that I have ever seen. That is half the price of some full exhaut systems with tips. Anyone have any stock take off S tips? I do not want to change my exhaust just the tips.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:15 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
FYI - S tips will not work on base cars w/o at least a shim, IIRC... or you could have them welded on.

Keep an eye on the classifieds here. I sold my chrome OEM S tips here not long ago. Crazy Carlitos, the buyer, can tell what he paid me if he likes but suffice to say, I was at mkt price which was more than reasonably lower than the $900 Suncoast sells chromed version for and the $500 you're finding for stock SS versions. A lot of people do exhaust overhauls so you shouldn't have to wait too long and there may be some out there now.

That being said, if you are willing to shell out the 5 clams (I see they went up some since I did mine), Fabspeed (which I have) among others sell really nice aftermkt chrome tips. I think they offer them for non-S (so no shim or welding needed) too.

Good luck

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 02-19-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:20 PM
PHOENIX RISING is infamous around these parts
The best after market tips are the TechArt tips which I have on my Tubi exhaust. WHAT A PHENOMENAL COMBINATION!!!

I still have my stock tips (with about 5K miles on them) and am willing to sell. PM me.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:18 PM
FYI - S tips will not work on base cars w/o at least a shim, IIRC... or you could have them welded on.

Can you explain this a little better please?

Old 02-20-2011, 07:54 AM
johnstoy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Jpg0511

Can you explain this a little better please?
The pipe end that the tips clamp on to is 5/16" bigger in diameter on the S muffler versus the non-S. The S tips will not clamp down far enough to stay on a non-S muffler without a shim or some welding.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:32 AM
Taxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really niceTaxi! is just really nice
Originally Posted by Jpg0511
I just got my CS2 and I would like to change the tips out to the S style. But I have looked around and they sell for $500 plus for tips. That is the most over priced car part that I have ever seen. That is half the price of some full exhaut systems with tips. Anyone have any stock take off S tips? I do not want to change my exhaust just the tips.
I'm confused by your post because you say you have a "CS2," but want to change out your exhaust tips for the "S" style. Do you mean you have a C2 and you want to have exhaust tips like the C2S (quad style)? If so, look at the quad exhaust tips offered by Vertex Auto. They're half the price of factory and will fit on the C2 exhaust pipes without welding.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Good catch. Sorry I do have the C2 and I want to put on the CS2 tips.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:07 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Jpg, I wish the Carrera and Carrera S tips were interchangable because I'd trade you my S tips....I hate the fakey look of the S dual tips...way to pouser fake chit for me.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:12 PM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
AWE makes some awesome black chrome tips! A perfect fit for my C2.

Old 02-20-2011, 02:30 PM
drifter12 is infamous around these parts
Phoenix: do you by chance have pics of the Techart tips you can post? I have the OEM quad tips on my C2S and dont like them.. I'd like to go with tips slightly (a few mm) larger than OEM, with a simple polished finish. For reference, when I had an E46 M3 the Supersprint race tips are exactly the look I'm looking for.

Originally Posted by PHOENIX RISING
The best after market tips are the TechArt tips which I have on my Tubi exhaust. WHAT A PHENOMENAL COMBINATION!!!

I still have my stock tips (with about 5K miles on them) and am willing to sell. PM me.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:59 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
I seriously considered buying a pair of Fabspeed's black chrome tips for my base Carrera - but I couldn't seen paying $500 for a pair of exhaust tips.

I had my stock tips powdercoated in 'black smoke' which is a translucent black. They've been on the car for many months and a couple thousand miles now, and they still look as good as they day I installed them.

These would look great on your black car.

Name:  Lefttip.jpg
Views: 1357
Size:  46.1 KB

Old 02-20-2011, 08:36 PM
PHOENIX RISING is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by drifter12
Phoenix: do you by chance have pics of the Techart tips you can post? I have the OEM quad tips on my C2S and dont like them.. I'd like to go with tips slightly (a few mm) larger than OEM, with a simple polished finish. For reference, when I had an E46 M3 the Supersprint race tips are exactly the look I'm looking for.
Sorry, just saw this post. I will take pics of my tips tomorrow and post! Can you wait until then?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:31 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
Anyone on here put the C2S quad tips on a base Carrera with a shim? Just curious if you had to get the shim custom fabricated or it's a hardware store item? Any vendors sell adapter kits? I'm selling my C2S tips and get these questions all the time...

Old 02-21-2011, 07:42 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster

Keep an eye on the classifieds here. I sold my chrome OEM S tips here not long ago. Crazy Carlitos, the buyer, can tell what he paid me if he likes but suffice to say, I was at mkt price which was more than reasonably lower than the $900 Suncoast sells chromed version for and the $500 you're finding for stock SS versions. A lot of people do exhaust overhauls so you shouldn't have to wait too long and there may be some out there now.

That being said, if you are willing to shell out the 5 clams (I see they went up some since I did mine), Fabspeed (which I have) among others sell really nice aftermkt chrome tips. I think they offer them for non-S (so no shim or welding needed) too.

Good luck
i honestly forgot how much i paid u.. but it prob was around $150.. btw it looks great on my car ! just gotta clean the carbon build-up more often to show off the chrome

Originally Posted by mdrums
Jpg, I wish the Carrera and Carrera S tips were interchangable because I'd trade you my S tips....I hate the fakey look of the S dual tips...way to pouser fake chit for me.
true, its not actually a 4 separate exhaust.. but i still think it looks real nice
only times i've seen the rectangular exhaust look good is when its surrounded by the TT rear bumper... sorry carrera owners

Old 02-21-2011, 08:15 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
I think I answered my own question with a search. Apparently FVD sells adapter kits:

http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/-/...282pc.%29.html

Fabspeed also has them (price unknown) and possibly dealerships. It also sounds like some people have luck with having the right size tubing cut to length at a hardware store to use as an adapter sleeve. Just FYI for anyone looking...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replacing exhaust tips