997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 GT3RS on a budget

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:15 AM
WTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by utkinpol
try to get 9" wide 18" rims in front - it will help.

did you get your VF-E SC installed already? how did they offer to handle ECU flash step if it was from that deal from vivid?
Hey Paul,

I didn't install the kit yet.. i put a deposit on it and making payments on it till June or so. Kind of a SC layaway program! haha. As part of the package price you just send off your ECU to VF and they flash it for me. Bill said he has installed many of these kits and the reliablity he has seen has been outstanding.

I wanted to run the Khumo's when I am ready to move to R compounds.. what are my options for front/rear rim size to run these tires. Hoosiers wear out too fast for my wallet from what I am hearing.

Old 02-21-2011, 08:18 AM
gray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud of
I'll probably copy their performance upgrades but keep the styling stock as I don't want my car to attract attention.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:32 AM
WTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by WTFitsCarter
Mid 70's is too much cake for me.. I'm not a 6 figure earner so i do what i can with what i got

I got my 05 C2S for $38k (thank you CEO of Bentley NA) My goal for the car is to get it to be a street/track/autocross fun bucket with out breaking the 60K Barrier for a total overall cost.

So far I picked up..

-VF Engineering SC for about $8,000 NEW that should cover the HP gap between my C2S and a GT3 RS nicely. saved about $4,500

-HR Sway's front and Rear $200 saved about $400 Almost new

-Bilstein Damptronics $1,600 (thanks JEllis) almost new saved $1,400

$6,300 saved so far!

Going in next week.
-Sachs Sport clutch disc
-Sachs sport pressure plate
-new OEM flywheel if needed (i was going to do a LWFW but with a SC kit i am playing it safe)
-LN Engineering IMS upgrade (so i can sleep)..
All $4K installed-
My mechanic has an almost new GT3 RS LSD he is trying to sell me for $700 plus install.. he is verifying what it will take to put it in my C2S but I am not sure if it is the best option for me based on the issues i have heard. I might spend the money and go with a Guard TBD

I am doing the car in sections.. so its going to be tranny, then supercharger, then suspension, then undecided.

So far im up to $52,000 (plus the LSD,TBD costs) and I will have a 500hp beast with a trackable upgraded suspension. (still need to buy droplinks, camber plates, and gt3 control arms)

Thoughts??
Vivid Racing just gave me a hard time about saying i paid "About 8K new" They are great over there so i am not complaining.. to be clear i paid $8,500 plus shipping their group price was $7,800 but they didn't have enough buyers. I figured the "about" would take care of it but they asked me to clarify. Again no complaints about Vivid they are awesome.. not too many companies out there will do what they did for me! They will see more business from me in the future for sure!!

Old 02-21-2011, 10:48 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Vivid Racing just gave me a hard time about saying i paid "About 8K new" They are great over there so i am not complaining.. to be clear i paid $8,500 plus shipping their group price was $7,800 but they didn't have enough buyers. I figured the "about" would take care of it but they asked me to clarify. Again no complaints about Vivid they are awesome.. not too many companies out there will do what they did for me! They will see more business from me in the future for sure!!
A lot of people here aware they initially advertised at $7800 and later it became $8500. as of 'not enough buyers' - they did sell all kits they had, didn`t they?

i prefer not to deal with them at all anymore after they sold me a set of JIC Cross COs claiming them to be a great track quality setup and refusing to take it back after I could not find anybody in whole MA who would agree to install this POS with any guarantee, so, they will see no more of my money. not if would make much of a difference for them.

honestly i think it is better to deal with local resources who do care to keep you as a customer, even if it costs in the end about of 3-4 hundreds more - I prefer Bill to order stuff for me now as he is a vendor for pretty much everything anyway. it makes life simpler in a long run than to hunt over whole internet for deals with questionable results.

Old 02-21-2011, 02:56 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Every time I think about doing upgrades on my 997.2S I remind myself that I will be closing in rather rapidly on the 07 GT3 that I had considered. Suspension, exhaust and set of wheels would eat the $10k delta in a heart beat. In the end the 997.2 would still be slower and depreciating faster. Sadly, I rarely follow my gut instinct.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by Alan C.
Every time I think about doing upgrades on my 997.2S I remind myself that I will be closing in rather rapidly on the 07 GT3 that I had considered. Suspension, exhaust and set of wheels would eat the $10k delta in a heart beat. In the end the 997.2 would still be slower and depreciating faster. Sadly, I rarely follow my gut instinct.
replacing the GT3's PCCB's when they wore out would cost you another 10K.. I think a lot of the cost comparison to buying a GT3 needs to be looked at for each persons goals and really what they paid for there car to start with and how far you want to go with the mods. Proper planning before buying the vehicle is key.. I knew i couldn't afford a GT3 let alone the GT3 RS so i looked for the cheapest 997 i could find (with everything in proper order of course). I got lucky and found an S model for what i thought was an insane deal. So modifying my car and being patient when doing it.. i think i can get one hell of vehicle for a reasonable price by the time im done.

Just my $.02

Old 02-21-2011, 04:25 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Mid 70's is too much cake for me.. I'm not a 6 figure earner so i do what i can with what i got

I got my 05 C2S for $38k (thank you CEO of Bentley NA) My goal for the car is to get it to be a street/track/autocross fun bucket with out breaking the 60K Barrier for a total overall cost.

So far I picked up..

-VF Engineering SC for about $8,000 NEW that should cover the HP gap between my C2S and a GT3 RS nicely. saved about $4,500

$6,300 saved so far!

Going in next week.
-Sachs Sport clutch disc
-new OEM flywheel if needed (i was going to do a LWFW but with a SC kit i am playing it safe)
All $4K installed-
My mechanic has an almost new GT3 RS LSD he is trying to sell me for $700 plus install.. he is verifying what it will take to put it in my C2S but I am not sure if it is the best option for me based on the issues i have heard. I might spend the money and go with a Guard TBD

I am doing the car in sections.. so its going to be tranny, then supercharger, then suspension, then undecided.

So far im up to $52,000 (plus the LSD,TBD costs) and I will have a 500hp beast with a trackable upgraded suspension. (still need to buy droplinks, camber plates, and gt3 control arms)

Thoughts??
Impressive list of mods, I am similarly set up, you may want to save the money on the clutch and send it on some good seats, flying around the track is a lot tougher when you are readjusting your body position after every corner. I have a Quaife TBD, and I love how it changed my car, I wouldn't hesitate to have one installed again, although I would probably go with Guards.

In the end, I agree that the C2S is an awesome car, but it isn't a GT3, and never will be. I have driven enough of them to know, that I started with the wrong car....but that of course is my opinion. Saying that, I love my C2S, and it looks stock, and it has been underestimated by a number of people on the track trying to stay in front, or keep up.

Old 02-21-2011, 04:49 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
"So modifying my car and being patient when doing it.. i think i can get one hell of vehicle for a reasonable price by the time im done."

And that is all that counts!

Old 02-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
I hate to sound like a 'nattering nabob of negativism' but what does, 'performance is 80% of the 997 GT3 RS' mean?

Old 02-21-2011, 05:37 PM
With the supercharger I'm gonna stick with the upgraded clutch for now. I have the adaptive sport seats and they hold me pretty well. But i def see some race seats in the future .

So far I picked up..

$6,300 saved so far!

Going in next week.
-Sachs Sport clutch disc
All $4K installed-

Thoughts??
Impressive list of mods, I am similarly set up, you may want to save the money on the clutch and send it on some good seats, flying around the track is a lot tougher when you are readjusting your body position after every corner. I have a Quaife TBD, and I love how it changed my car, I wouldn't hesitate to have one installed again, although I would probably go with Guards.

In the end, I agree that the C2S is an awesome car, but it isn't a GT3, and never will be. I have driven enough of them to know, that I started with the wrong car....but that of course is my opinion. Saying that, I love my C2S, and it looks stock, and it has been underestimated by a number of people on the track trying to stay in front, or keep up.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:01 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
With the supercharger I'm gonna stick with the upgraded clutch for now. I have the adaptive sport seats and they hold me pretty well. But i def see some race seats in the future .
IMHO - keep supercharger in your sleeve for a bit... I would really wait with adding more power, nothing is wrong with having more, just imho it is not a #1 priority.

that would be a very good initial mod if you do not need rear seats.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-shipping.html

if you do need rear seats like I do - well, it is all compromise.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan

i also consider doing that at the end of this seaon perhaps. it is pretty reasonably priced... but as I understand TBD only works during acceleration, it does not really help much to improve stability during hard braking?

as of comparing m97 engine to gt3 - well, looking how many people drive way faster than most of us in old air-cooled 3.2L cars - there is plenty of room for iprovement. if one outgrows what stripped C2 or C2S car can do he should go right ahead and buy a 997 cup with sequential.

as for myself, i seriously doubt if I will really want to go and track brand new GT3 car despite of how much fun it could be, I just cannot sustain financially to wreck a brand new $120K car. I can sustain to fix this car I have now if God forbid anything minor happens or engine blows but there is a limit to everything. Obviously there are plenty of people for whom to shell out $50K for a new motor every 2-3 seasons is not a big expense but I am not one of those people unfortunately... Even if I buy a new p-car for street I will most likely continue to track this 06 997 tub I have now, may be stripped, but definitely with cheap m96 engine. and if it cannot pull as hard as gt3 does - who cares. I hope in 2-3 years they will make a 997 spec class anyway just as they made 996 spec so it will all even up.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:18 AM
Sweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really nice
THis all sounds so fun too me. I wish I would loosen up the wallet and do some of his mods. I can't wait to here how the SC works out.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:24 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
IMHO - keep supercharger in your sleeve for a bit... I would really wait with adding more power, nothing is wrong with having more, just imho it is not a #1 priority.

that would be a very good initial mod if you do not need rear seats.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-shipping.html

if you do need rear seats like I do - well, it is all compromise.
I have those seats, and they are excellent. They work well on the track, and they are also very comfortable as a daily driver. One thing that I really notice with these, is that you feel the car communicating a lot more to you through the seat then it does with my Adaptive Sport Seats (which BTW don't do enough to hold you in place, and weigh a lot).

Old 02-22-2011, 08:26 AM
I don't have any high HP mods, and I have no problem passing guys with 500+ HP Turbo's. It is all about corner speed for my car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3RS on a budget