997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 GT3RS on a budget

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:00 AM
WTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant future
Well said Paul!!! Sounds like we are in the same boat!

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i also consider doing that at the end of this seaon perhaps. it is pretty reasonably priced... but as I understand TBD only works during acceleration, it does not really help much to improve stability during hard braking?

as of comparing m97 engine to gt3 - well, looking how many people drive way faster than most of us in old air-cooled 3.2L cars - there is plenty of room for iprovement. if one outgrows what stripped C2 or C2S car can do he should go right ahead and buy a 997 cup with sequential.

as for myself, i seriously doubt if I will really want to go and track brand new GT3 car despite of how much fun it could be, I just cannot sustain financially to wreck a brand new $120K car. I can sustain to fix this car I have now if God forbid anything minor happens or engine blows but there is a limit to everything. Obviously there are plenty of people for whom to shell out $50K for a new motor every 2-3 seasons is not a big expense but I am not one of those people unfortunately... Even if I buy a new p-car for street I will most likely continue to track this 06 997 tub I have now, may be stripped, but definitely with cheap m96 engine. and if it cannot pull as hard as gt3 does - who cares. I hope in 2-3 years they will make a 997 spec class anyway just as they made 996 spec so it will all even up.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:04 AM
WTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant future
Correct TBD is more for acceleration. LSD works on both ends but since it has clutch plates etc it is considered a maintence item. Bill has a GT3 RS LSD in his shop you can talk to him about since i am going a different direction. I decided on the Quaife since i am getting agreat deal on a new unit and will be able to avoid future service on the LSD.

Originally Posted by WTFitsCarter
Well said Paul!!! Sounds like we are in the same boat!

Old 02-22-2011, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Alan C.
"So modifying my car and being patient when doing it.. i think i can get one hell of vehicle for a reasonable price by the time im done."

And that is all that counts!
Thanks Alan! the Journey is almost as fun as the end result

Old 02-22-2011, 11:09 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Correct TBD is more for acceleration. LSD works on both ends but since it has clutch plates etc it is considered a maintence item. Bill has a GT3 RS LSD in his shop you can talk to him about since i am going a different direction. I decided on the Quaife since i am getting agreat deal on a new unit and will be able to avoid future service on the LSD.
i do not think it will fit. we have japanese gearboxes and gt3 rs has german one, they are very different.

i was actually thinking to put not a quaife but gt gears one.
http://www.guardtransmission.com/diff_TBD.html
they do very good stuff. pricey, but good. still it is not clear if they have a version for 997 C2 gearbox.

but more likely i will invest this money into skip barber school this year, it will be a better investment probably.

Last edited by utkinpol; 02-22-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:13 AM
I plan to wait a while before the SC goes in.. The only reason i bought it so early on was because of the price i didn't know they were going to offer it again or i would have waited but I knew i would never spend 12k on the kit but after seeing the sale price i couldn't resist.

Those seats are pretty nice.. i am a fan of the newer sport seats though. I don't really care for the big round head rest though its a little too much for my taste. I'll probably wait till i see something a little more my style come up at a good price and hop on that.

IMHO - keep supercharger in your sleeve for a bit... I would really wait with adding more power, nothing is wrong with having more, just imho it is not a #1 priority.

that would be a very good initial mod if you do not need rear seats.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-shipping.html

if you do need rear seats like I do - well, it is all compromise.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Bill was going to check with Guard about the GT3 RS fitment when we were talking about doing it to my car but when the Quiafe hit the table at the right price i chose that route. Bill also said he prefered the Guard TBD over the Quiafe so if your looking at equal money i would go with the Guard as well.

i do not think it will fit. we have japanese gearboxes and gt3 rs has german one, they are very different.

i was actually thinking to put not a quaife but gt gears one.
http://www.guardtransmission.com/diff_TBD.html
they do very good stuff. pricey, but good. still it is not clear if they have a version for 997 C2 gearbox.

but more likely i will invest this money into skip barber school this year, it will be a better investment probably.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:32 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, here's my thought:

1- No matter what you do to your regular 997 it is no GT breed. The heart (engine) is not the same.
2- A driver with a good equipped car can beat a 997 GTx with an average Joe behind the wheel
3- In order to keep up with a GTx (with a similar skilled driver), you need to spend a lot of money on a regular 997
4- You can not get the satisfaction of a high revving engine on a regular 997
5- There is no way in hell you can do all that for $24k!

My advice to you guys is to keep your money in your wallet and just go get a 997.1 GT3 as their prices are really reasonable. Ask me how I know...

I was in the same boat as you guys, I started with wheels and suspension, then exhaust, and before I realized the car I initially bought was not the car that was standing in front of me.

Old 02-22-2011, 01:52 PM
i'll bite.. how do you know? lol
Originally Posted by sin911
Ok, here's my thought:

My advice to you guys is to keep your money in your wallet and just go get a 997.1 GT3 as their prices are really reasonable. Ask me how I know...

Old 02-22-2011, 02:42 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
i'll bite.. how do you know? lol
I'll send you a list of my mods when I get home, so I can share my experience with you

Old 02-22-2011, 02:43 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Ok, here's my thought:

I was in the same boat as you guys, I started with wheels and suspension, then exhaust, and before I realized the car I initially bought was not the car that was standing in front of me.
in 3 years if I feel like it I wil get a gt3 with pdk. but for me 'keep up' is not an issue as I compete against myself mostly, if folks in gt3 are faster - i will give them a point by and end of story.

again, gt3 is all fun but i do not feel that level of expences it requires will warrant more fun per buck return for me. plus right now i do not care how i get to a track, if I decide to get gt3 it will have to be gt3 rs whoch will require a trailer, which will require a tow vehicle, which will require space to park all that crap, it has no end and consumes crazy amount of $$$.

meanwhile folks in spec miata cars get to same track and get plenty of fun for a fraction of $ we waste here on our cars. all that porsche business is more to pleasure yourself thn to compete and it will be always somebody with bigger $$$ in a better prepped car and there in no end of this.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:47 PM
I'll send you a list of my mods when I get home, so I can share my experience with you
better send list of mobonic`s mods.

seriously - it is all irrelevant. if one wants to compete it is all about the size of a field. 997 non-gt cars are in adequate numbers right now, they get older, more people are taking them to a track, so, if one wants to club race them I bet it will be plenty of competitors in same class.

as of just of DEs - who cares what who drives, it is not a race anyway.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:54 PM
again, gt3 is all fun but i do not feel that level of expences it requires will warrant more fun per buck return for me. plus right now i do not care how i get to a track, if I decide to get gt3 it will have to be gt3 rs whoch will require a trailer, which will require a tow vehicle, which will require space to park all that crap, it has no end and consumes crazy amount of $$$
I have to disagree. The fact that most GT3/RS owners do trail their car does not mean they can't be driven to and from the track at all. When you go down to detail pretty much all the consumables are the same price:

-oil change costs the same
-flushing the brakes cost the same
-tires cost the same
-brake pads cost the same
-rotors are a little more expensive on GT breeds compared to regular Carreras

So instead of spending 20k on suspension, exhaust, intake, SC or turbo etc. you can put it on top of a 997 and buy a 997.1 GT3 without the hassle of putting all these parts afterward.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:59 PM
better send list of mobonic`s mods.

seriously - it is all irrelevant. if one wants to compete it is all about the size of a field. 997 non-gt cars are in adequate numbers right now, they get older, more people are taking them to a track, so, if one wants to club race them I bet it will be plenty of competitors in same class.

as of just of DEs - who cares what who drives, it is not a race anyway.
Mo's list would take the whole day to make

What I was trying to say was: if you try to make a regular 997 into a 997 GT3 (or almost as good as), it will take more money than just simply adding the money for mods on top of the price of a 997

Old 02-22-2011, 03:01 PM
So instead of spending 20k on suspension, exhaust, intake, SC or turbo etc. you can put it on top of a 997 and buy a 997.1 GT3 without the hassle of putting all these parts afterward.
BS, BS man! after getting GT3 RS you will feel you GOT TO put in 4-way adjustable Ohlins, $10K data logging system, it never ends anyway and only gets more expensive. Then you will decide to give up your gearbox to GT gears, rework your engine... I can easily count up $50K+ in mods for RS car.

Plus after all that same guy in same old spec miata will be sitting on your tail.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Mo's list would take the whole day to make

What I was trying to say was: if you try to make a regular 997 into a 997 GT3 (or almost as good as), it will take more money than just simply adding the money for mods on top of the price of a 997
'making into gt3' is a wrong concept. 'making street car into trackable sport car' is a right concept and it really does not need $24K list, more like $12K list or even less. great sample of required mods is listed on spec 996 car page - I bet it is way less than $10K and it makes this street car perfectly trackable.

plus, gt3 just cames a bit more track ready in its stock form but it is still not a cup car. right?

i mean just that - as you on your Cx car get passed by a GT3 - in same way GT3 gets passed by a stock cup, which gets passed by a custom tuned GMG/TPC/etc rig. And you get into $500K cars range, if you got some dough. This **** never ends.

Last edited by utkinpol; 02-22-2011 at 03:06 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3RS on a budget