997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 GT3RS on a budget

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:52 PM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by WTFitsCarter
Sweet ride I thought it was a gt3! Lol
Yeah, after all those mods and chasing GT3s, RSs, Turbos, Z06s, R8s she finally has some identity crisis and thinks she is a GT3

Old 02-23-2011, 05:40 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sin911
How much risk you're willing to take is one thing. I was referring to same skilled driver.

I love the GT3, in the future I would like to get a 997.1 or .2 GT3.

The thing after a while is that you reach a plateau and want a faster car so you could lower your lap times.

I think you guys understood me wrong. I was trying to say: "Don't loose yourself modding, without realizing you're going to reach used .1 GT3 territory"

Stop being so hostile please, I mean no harm
Nah, I am not hostile at all, we`re all friends here.
I love GT3 and it is very likely I will be tempted to buy one even if it makes no financial sense at all. But I am yet to reach that moment when my current car will be 'not enough', I give it at least 3 more years.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:44 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JEllis
So does it really matter if someone buys a 40K C2 and spends 20K on it vice dropping 70-80K on a GT3...
a guy on rennlist sells his tip-top shape caged rs america for $34K. Probably will give it away much cheaper.

If I only had space and tow vehicle I would get it. Those cars are great on a track. Engine is probably a bit more expensive to maintain than M96 but rest of consumables is quite cheap.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:04 AM
sin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond reputesin911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Nah, I am not hostile at all, we`re all friends here.
I love GT3 and it is very likely I will be tempted to buy one even if it makes no financial sense at all. But I am yet to reach that moment when my current car will be 'not enough', I give it at least 3 more years.
I know I will make the move someday, but I'm waiting for the prices to drop a little further when it'll make sense to purchase a 997.2 GT3. 3.8L engine and no sunroof! What a blast it'll be

I'm thinking it will take me between 2-3 months to really master the car. I should drive on other tracks to really master the car further

Old 02-24-2011, 06:54 PM
WTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant future
Picked up my brand new quaife today and at an amazing price! thanks Ron! (sweeper)

Old 02-25-2011, 06:00 AM
Sweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really nice
Quaife

Hi Chris,
It was very nice meeting you yesterday. You sound like you're having a blast playing with your toy. Remember it's a TOY, play with it as you want. I'm proud to have passed this Diffy on to someone that will appreciate the end result.

As Paul has said, if you want to go fast, you don't need a gt3, or a modded C2. I can sell you a Nationally competitive Formula Ford, with spares, trailer, tools for 19K. Only the very best driver, in a tin top will be able to keep up. The ALMS/GA cup cars are around the same lap time as me at Limerock and NH. 56's LRP, 1:07's NHMS (track Record in the Oval config and so.chicane config. 1:11's)

My Budget/race weekend, $1500 with tires ($1000), travel and entry fee's. Try to do that in a competitive Cup/GT3/C2s.

IMO-club racing=fun+10, De's= Fun+1, Solo= fun, Mods=fun-1 (For me anyway)

I wrestled with this argument for years. What you really need to decide is how far do you want to go in motorsports. If it's a weekend time trail (COM), a DE or an Autox, then have fun the way you want too, but be real, if you see the end result is racing then forgo the mods., save a bunch of time (very valuble) and buy an already proven track car. Spec Miata's have one of the biggest race groups in the SCCA. To me they're slow, but when you have 30 of them fighting in every corner, it's truly the way to go tin top racing. 15-20K for a winning car..

Some of you guys need to rent SRF from Motion Dynamics in North Conway, NH and try Wheel to wheel racing at NHMS. This is a really easy/cheap way to get your feet wet. It's an "arrive and drive" thingy. Put your helmet on, race for a while and hop in the P-car and drive home..
http://www.mdracing.com/

Sorry for BS post

Good luck to all,

Rob