997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 GT3RS on a budget

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:04 PM
gray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud ofgray911 has much to be proud of
Thumbs up 997 GT3RS on a budget

They transformed a regular Carrera S into the Eurocup GT. It cost them about $23,000 US plus cost of car which they got used.This article appeared in Total 911 magazine. Anybody dare to upgrade their Carrera? I would probably copy their suspension, engine, and exhaust but keep my car looking stock. They say the performance is 80% of the 997 GT3 RS. I downloaded the PDF article but took a while. This is a very good guide.

http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/bcatalog/porscheshop_porsche_picture_galleries_porsche_proj ect_customers_cars_porscheshop_porsche_911_carrera _s.php

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 02-19-2011 at 09:35 PM. Reason: active link to a commercial site
Old 02-19-2011, 11:17 PM
WTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by gray911
They transformed a regular Carrera S into the Eurocup GT. It cost them about $23,000 US plus cost of car which they got used.This article appeared in Total 911 magazine. Anybody dare to upgrade their Carrera? I would probably copy their suspension, engine, and exhaust but keep my car looking stock. They say the performance is 80% of the 997 GT3 RS. I downloaded the PDF article but took a while. This is a very good guide.

http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/bcatalo..._carrera_s.php
Awesome!! thanks for sharing! I am working on a similar project but just one step at a time. I am going for a lot of "like new" used parts to help cut back on the costs.

Old 02-20-2011, 05:59 AM
M-Rufus is infamous around these parts
I already did that but to a 2007 GT3RS replica.
Only mods they have that are missing in my car is the carbon roof and a original GT3RS steeering wheel ( they used an aftermarket bull**** wheel) and the rear plexiglass window.

One thing i don´t like is their exhaust setup, it is just a bypass to center exhaust. I used a center exaust from supersprint with 200cell catalitic converter and no side boxes. Now this is the right setup to be able to compare noise with a modified GT3 exhaust system.

And i didn´t spent that much money, but my replica is for a 07 and lamps are the same.

Car looks stunning now.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:04 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Why not just sell your Carrera, and buy a 997.1GT3?

Old 02-20-2011, 10:21 AM
WTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant future
How much do you think a clean 997.1 GT3 would go for these days?

Old 02-20-2011, 10:52 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
mid 70's

Old 02-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-20-2011, 11:47 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Someone on here already did the Porsche Shop upgrade...

Total 911 called it on of this years best drives...

Jason

Old 02-20-2011, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
mid 70's
Mid 70's is too much cake for me.. I'm not a 6 figure earner so i do what i can with what i got

I got my 05 C2S for $38k (thank you CEO of Bentley NA) My goal for the car is to get it to be a street/track/autocross fun bucket with out breaking the 60K Barrier for a total overall cost.

So far I picked up..

-VF Engineering SC for about $8,000 NEW that should cover the HP gap between my C2S and a GT3 RS nicely. saved about $4,500

-HR Sway's front and Rear $200 saved about $400 Almost new

-Bilstein Damptronics $1,600 (thanks JEllis) almost new saved $1,400

$6,300 saved so far!

Going in next week.
-Sachs Sport clutch disc
-Sachs sport pressure plate
-new OEM flywheel if needed (i was going to do a LWFW but with a SC kit i am playing it safe)
-LN Engineering IMS upgrade (so i can sleep)..
All $4K installed-
My mechanic has an almost new GT3 RS LSD he is trying to sell me for $700 plus install.. he is verifying what it will take to put it in my C2S but I am not sure if it is the best option for me based on the issues i have heard. I might spend the money and go with a Guard TBD

I am doing the car in sections.. so its going to be tranny, then supercharger, then suspension, then undecided.

So far im up to $52,000 (plus the LSD,TBD costs) and I will have a 500hp beast with a trackable upgraded suspension. (still need to buy droplinks, camber plates, and gt3 control arms)

Thoughts??

Old 02-20-2011, 04:26 PM
[QUOTE=gray911;3128467]They transformed a regular Carrera S into the Eurocup GT. It cost them about $23,000 US plus cost of car which they got used.This article appeared in Total 911 magazine. Anybody dare to upgrade their Carrera? I would probably copy their suspension, engine, and exhaust but keep my car looking stock. They say the performance is 80% of the 997 GT3 RS. I downloaded the PDF article but took a while. This is a very good guide.

http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/bcatalo..._carrera_s.php[/QUOTI

I have a feeling they spent more the 23K on the upgrades for that car as well even though thats what they said they spent. Not hating at all.. I LOVE IT

Old 02-20-2011, 06:31 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Wow soo stoked my coilovers are going on such a cool build! Awesome awesome

Old 02-20-2011, 06:35 PM
PS... I would go with an after market LSD or a rebuilt OE unit.

Come up with a plan for the rest of the mods and stick to it. BBS, HRE, Tech-1,or OZ for the wheels!

Jason

Old 02-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the compliment! If I get bored with the bilsteins I'll send em out to get revalved and new manly springs for a stiffer ride.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/gt3-gt2-gt/192286-lsd-buster.html

I shared this thread with my mechanic on using the gt3 rs almost new unit and this is what he said

"The only thing I gather from this thread is that before you have me install your new to you diff, is that you want me to open it up and renew the friction plates and reset the preload to something more manly..... and maybe the ramp set if your wallet allows.

I will touch base w/ my buddy matt on monday re: fitment and piece parts for improvement"

This guy knows his stuff so I'm going to look at the cost of an aftermarket unit vs getting the oem one he has up to par.

The wheels I am still up in the air about. I'm thinking of 18" OZ allegeritas for the track/autocross. I have 2 sets of oem wheels now one beat up set for the track and a nice set for the street. Both have pilotsports on them. Future Street wheels still not sure.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:15 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by WTFitsCarter
Thanks for the compliment! If I get bored with the bilsteins I'll send em out to get revalved and new manly springs for a stiffer ride.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...sd-buster.html

I shared this thread with my mechanic on using the gt3 rs almost new unit and this is what he said

"The only thing I gather from this thread is that before you have me install your new to you diff, is that you want me to open it up and renew the friction plates and reset the preload to something more manly..... and maybe the ramp set if your wallet allows.

I will touch base w/ my buddy matt on monday re: fitment and piece parts for improvement"

This guy knows his stuff so I'm going to look at the cost of an aftermarket unit vs getting the oem one he has up to par.

The wheels I am still up in the air about. I'm thinking of 18" OZ allegeritas for the track/autocross. I have 2 sets of oem wheels now one beat up set for the track and a nice set for the street. Both have pilotsports on them. Future Street wheels still not sure.
try to get 9" wide 18" rims in front - it will help.

did you get your VF-E SC installed already? how did they offer to handle ECU flash step if it was from that deal from vivid?

Old 02-21-2011, 06:26 AM
Sweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really niceSweeper is just really nice
Originally Posted by WTFitsCarter

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...sd-buster.html

PM'd u

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3RS on a budget