997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2011 4S vs Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:18 PM
thefr7 has a spectacular aura aboutthefr7 has a spectacular aura about
2011 4S vs Turbo

Hello, I am new here (and new to Porsches!) and am just curious what people who have driven both cars mentioned in the title think.
I test drove a 4S this weekend and fell in LOVE! It seems to have all the power I need, but I do love to drive fast and my partner thinks I need to drive a Turbo before I go buy this one.
The dealer doesn't have a Turbo and no dealer close by does, either.
I do live in a fairly large town, so most of my driving is in light to moderate traffic, not on some crazy stretch of unused (but well-maintained) highway where I could drive like a madman, lol... and the 4S looks just as hot, from what I can tell in pictures.
Anyway, not sure the Turbo is worth the extra money and effort, especially since the one my dealer has is perfect, in my eyes: excellent options and beautiful paint color.
Advice??

Last edited by GT3 Chuck; 02-21-2011 at 12:09 AM. Reason: not enough posts or time on the board
Old 02-20-2011, 11:38 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Cars these days have crazy horse power. Any Carrera has more than enough power for any roads, so it is about how over the top you want to be. Don't try to make it too rational - you'll just drive yourself nuts. Get the car you want. However you should shop around and know your options - changing your mind after the fact can be expensive - for some people that doesn't even matter.

Last edited by stevepow; 02-21-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:04 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
You can't go wrong with either car but I can't help but pick the Turbo .

The PDK mates with the boost to get the most efficiency out of the Hp and between the two cars it is more car. Plus the 991 will arrive next year and the turbo will hold value as it won't change until 2014 . If you really wanted to save money and have ample Hp why not just get a C2S ? It's lighter than both cars and quite nimble.

I just feel taht the Turbo S is greatness .It is the ultimate street cruizing machine giving luxury , power , handling, and that's what makes it Porsches flagship.

Do you need this ?
Nope. In fact all it might take is the first ding at a supermarket in any of these cars to question why you bought the top tier .

The answer is simple though --
the reason I buy it is because on the rare day when the sun is shining and the conditions are ideal for driving .. i feel like a kid again and the car is the cherished toy.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:28 AM
Mini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to allMini George is a name known to all
Once you feel the boost, you can't go back.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:49 AM
DocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud ofDocMartin9 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mini George
Once you feel the boost, you can't go back.
Yeah, don't even drive it. You will want to buy it.

Don't even look at it!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I drove an 07 turbo and an 07 GT3. I was not impressed by the tubo with tip but I was very impressed by the GT3. I then drove an 09 C2S and decided on it as a daily driver.

However, I still think about that GT3.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:06 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
the newer turbo with pdk is a huge improvement over PDK, so i've heard. =)

i would test drive a turbo before deciding..

btw, Porsche now has about 22 variations of 911..

u might also like the new GTS !

BOL

Last edited by crazycarlitos; 02-21-2011 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Brian GTS is infamous around these parts
Much of it depends on preference as well. Like yourself, I was considering a Turbo but ultimately went with the GTS because it was NA and had plenty of power to meet my expectations. However, if you want sick power and straight line thrills, get the Turbo!!!

Old 02-21-2011, 11:36 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
the newer turbo with pdk is a huge improvement over PDK, so i've heard. =)

i would test drive a turbo before deciding..

btw, Porsche now has about 22 variations of 911..

u might also like the new GTS !

BOL
Good point - if I had it to do over again, I'd go for a Black Edition GTS Speedster Classic Coupe in GT Silver. Rare, exclusive, fast, luxurious.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:23 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Go drive the Turbo and then you will not want the 4S.

I actually prefer the Carrera S (rear wheel drive) over the heavier Carrera 4 S (all wheel drive).

Old 02-21-2011, 03:29 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mdrums
Go drive the Turbo and then you will not want the 4S.

I actually prefer the Carrera S (rear wheel drive) over the heavier Carrera 4 S (all wheel drive).
but we all love the widebody look of the 4s..

Old 02-21-2011, 10:25 PM
thefr7 has a spectacular aura aboutthefr7 has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for all of the replies, guys!

I definitely want the widebody look and all-wheel-drive, that much I know! I think the wider body is just so hot and the weather here is unpredictable/crappy, so AWD would help with peace of mind if we got stuck in a sudden storm.

I have a feeling if I drive the turbo it will be all over and I will think I "need" the turbo, lol. BUT, the 4S has plenty of power and I have very little self-control when it comes to driving fast, so... yeah.

When Jag's XF first came out, I drove one, then drove the supercharged and HAD to have it, so I bought it... and got 6 tickets in it that following year (luckily, our state goes on points before revoking your license and I never accumulated enough!)

Anyway, maybe I'll dip my feet in to the Porsche pool with a 4S and consider trading up to a Turbo or Turbo S in a couple years when I'm ready to move on - we tend to change cars a lot, so it's not like I'm going to stick with whatever I buy for a decade.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:46 PM
David4315 is infamous around these parts
I have a C4S. Great car but you will get used to the power quickly and guess what - you will want more. Get the turbo! Just don't waste time with an automatic transmission. Don't care how advanced they are - just not a real sports car without 3 pedals.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:00 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by David4315
I have a C4S. Great car but you will get used to the power quickly and guess what - you will want more. Get the turbo! Just don't waste time with an automatic transmission. Don't care how advanced they are - just not a real sports car without 3 pedals.
I dont know about that,,That PDK is amazing.

if you dont want all wheel drive the GTS uses the C4S body.and has a few extra HP..but flip side if your going to spend 120+ go turbo with PDK
much better resale value down the road.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:23 PM
ChrisKaze is infamous around these parts
I hope you guys dont mind if a newbie like me chimes in, but I think a Turbo cant really be compared to a 4S. One thing that made me like Porsche's (from my experience) is the reliability and usability and surprisingly the guys at my local dealer. Because of my age I have been shunned at many many car dealers. I went to Porsche, dressed like in a T-shirt and jeans and they handed me the keys to a 2010 Turbo with PDK. My cousin owns a 911 4s (I know you hear this one a lot 'my so so and so owns a' but he really does) and its a amazing car in its own right but once you floor the turbo you will see why its MSRP is almost double that of a 997 4S.

My dad drives a Corvette Z06 it has oomph, so I am use to being in cars that haul ***, but this turbo really made me feel like my guts where about to come out of my mouth. When you floor that car you get this roller coaster feel, the torque is amazing, more than a Benz AMG. I came home from that dealer all hyped up, promissing im going to save the money on the down payment and screw the monthly payments. But alas...then reality set in...

If you have the finances get the Turbo, actually better yet go test drive one. The guys at my dealer didnt even ask for my insurance or credit card. I think its because their advertising that "Porsche Experience" thing on their commercials so go in and drive it. You will then feel how diminished a 997 4S feels to the turbo.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2011 4S vs Turbo