997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

need a tire with more then 140 UTQG for road race

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:24 PM
nugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud of
need a tire with more then 140 UTQG for road race

Im going to be running with real time attack this season and they require me to run tires with greater tread wear rating of 140. Im currently running toyo r888's and they have a tread wear of 100... any suggestions?

Old 02-22-2011, 05:59 AM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
Yoko AD08 is a leader in this group (treadwares 160-180) follow closely by Bridgestone RE11

Last edited by exponential; 02-22-2011 at 06:05 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:10 AM
zoomzoommo is infamous around these parts
Great recommendations by exponential. You can't go wrong with either tire. I run 2 degrees of negative camber & the RE-11's wear evenly.

Old 02-22-2011, 06:23 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nugent_crai
Im going to be running with real time attack this season and they require me to run tires with greater tread wear rating of 140. Im currently running toyo r888's and they have a tread wear of 100... any suggestions?
I've been told that the tread wear ratings are meaningless since there are no standards and therefore no good comparisons between manufacturers. Maybe one of the tire experts here could chime in.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:35 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by nugent_crai
hankook r-s3 has exact 140 but they do not have good sizes, same problem with dunlop star specs.
good tire is probably nitto nt05. yoko ad07/ad08 are probably next best.

Last edited by utkinpol; 02-22-2011 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:33 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I've been told that the tread wear ratings are meaningless since there are no standards and therefore no good comparisons between manufacturers. Maybe one of the tire experts here could chime in.
That is correct, it is only a measuring stick within a manufactures line. There is no set industry standard.

Read the info in this link

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=48

Craig, why do you need 140 or above?

Old 02-22-2011, 10:48 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Craig, why do you need 140 or above?
stock street class time attack rules imho. 140+ tires on stock rims.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:24 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
stock street class time attack rules imho. 140+ tires on stock rims.
That is stupid, the number doesn't mean anything from one brand to another. I wonder what Hoosier R6's are rated.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
That is stupid, the number doesn't mean anything from one brand to another. I wonder what Hoosier R6's are rated.
as stupid as any rules are... both A6 and R6 are rated 40 I think. got to be a same tire, apparently.

140+ rule is just intended to cut off any r-comps so folks would be restrited to regular street compounds so it would make more sense to speak about compounds than about rating, but, go figure.

Old 02-23-2011, 03:43 PM
viperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud ofviperbob has much to be proud of
It ain't racin' if your rubber's not sticky!!!!

Old 02-23-2011, 03:58 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Bridgestone RE11 maybe????

Old 02-23-2011, 08:08 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Depends on what you want the tires to do? First question: Are you planning to drive the tires to track? If so, The RE-11 and AD08 are great picks. I prefer the AD08 a bit more because the wet traction is better and the dry grip is about the same as the same as the RE-11. It's true there is no industry standard on tread rating, but there is also a big difference between a DOT rated track tire and an extreme performance summer tire. The AD08 wears just a bit better than the RE-11, and both of them FAR better than a Hoosier. You don't drive a Hoosier on the street if you can help it. If not for mileage, for the fact they will throw rocks and everything else up the side of the car. You can't beat them for track grip, but they are not street tires.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 02-23-2011, 08:42 PM
exponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to beholdexponential is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Depends on what you want the tires to do? First question: Are you planning to drive the tires to track? If so, The RE-11 and AD08 are great picks. I prefer the AD08 a bit more because the wet traction is better and the dry grip is about the same as the same as the RE-11. It's true there is no industry standard on tread rating, but there is also a big difference between a DOT rated track tire and an extreme performance summer tire. The AD08 wears just a bit better than the RE-11, and both of them FAR better than a Hoosier. You don't drive a Hoosier on the street if you can help it. If not for mileage, for the fact they will throw rocks and everything else up the side of the car. You can't beat them for track grip, but they are not street tires.
+1 fully agreed

Old 06-13-2011, 10:05 PM
Mikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to behold
How would the RE-11 or like tires compare with Pilot Sport Cups or pZero corsa? I know Hoosier are very grippy track tires but are the RE-11 or AD08 comparable? Would they be or perform more like RE050 or PS2 then Hoosiers?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:19 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I ran a set of RE-11s on the Cayman S and was more than happy with the results. 16000 miles plus 3 DE weekends and they still have tread left.

However, I'm waiting to see what happens with the new Pilot Sport before ordering another set.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: need a tire with more then 140 UTQG for road race