997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Window tinting and ice scrapers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 12:19 PM
goncookoo is infamous around these parts
Window tinting and ice scrapers

Hi all,

Im considering 35% tints on the sides and back.
I looked up how tinting was done on youtube and saw that on the rear window they apply the tint to the outside? Is this correct?

If so, how does tinting on the outside hold up to ice scrapers during winter? Should I be concerned/not use them on outside tinted windows? I didnt see any posts about this in search.

Also, any other suggestions besides Tint King or Solar Solutions in MA?

Thanks

Old 02-24-2011, 12:32 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
^^^ No. Tint is applied to the inside of the windows. Would love to see the vid of someone applying to the outside of the window. They do use the outside to contour the film with heat so it will lay correctly when the install on the inside of the window. Perhaps you saw that part of the install? If an installer wants to apply to the outside you should run away.....

Last edited by LRDog; 02-24-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:41 PM
ok thats good to know!

I have only ever tinted my front driver/passenger windows on old Lexus SUV and they were applied to the inside. I was surprised to see the youtube video of tinters doing it on the outside.

This guy applied it to both the inside and outside of the rear (@1:55)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCNIXuFikZU

Old 02-24-2011, 01:00 PM
LRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond reputeLRDog has a reputation beyond repute
As it turns out, that is the shop (well, a different installer at this shop....) I use and have used for the last 10 years. That might have even been my CLK63 BS at the begining of the vid.....

The point in the vid you're talking about is where Mike cleaned the back window then went outside the car to shrink the film to the contour of the back window b/f he installed it on the inside. They do that on all the windows.

Old 02-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Lol thats pretty funny that I happened to pick a video containing an installer you use!

I just cleared up my confusion with a phone call with the owner of Tint King in Boston.
He explained what you said about getting the "contour" of the back window by doing it on the outside first.

I think Im going with Tint King to do a 35% tint in the coming weeks (as soon as I can free up some time to get it done).