997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My Dilemma: Porsche or Fisker

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 04:59 AM
mthaynes is a jewel in the roughmthaynes is a jewel in the roughmthaynes is a jewel in the rough
fisk option comes once. You can get a 911 any time. All cars appreciate over time it (long time) but you could see this happened within 10 years.

Side note why can't a panamera Look like this........

Old 02-26-2011, 05:38 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
I agree...fisker 4 wife

Old 02-26-2011, 08:17 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
And then there was the DeLorean!

Old 12-22-2011, 07:29 AM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Update: I thought I would update you all on my continuing saga. I did order a the Fisker last week after I finally did a test drive. But, after spending the past year with events like the PSDS, DS and DE, I finally decided I can't go on with out having a 911. So I couldn't believe it when my wife said I can keep both. However,there is a catch...her wagon stays in the garage and one of my cars has to stay outside....tried reasoning the 10 year old wagon is not worth much so it should go outside but then I realized I should quit while I was ahead. So my options.
1) Put my 09 C4s with 7200 miles outside...quick way to devalue the car in the NW
2) Try to stack the cars with a lift, but I have friggin' 18" beam in the middle of my 10 ft garage that would make that difficult
3) Trade in my 09 with PDK that still has 3 year warrantee for an 05 stick that will have significantly lower value and I wont mind it being outside as much. I think I want stick anyway since now the car will be primarily be used for DEs. Plus I can freely modify it since I would no longer have to worry about warrantee issues.
4) Just get rid of the C4S. The Fisker dealer said that they would give me 78K for it which I thought was pretty good especially when I look at the tax benefits it gives me with the Fisker...about $7500. Then I just buy a 2005 when the time is right.

Love to hear all of your thoughts.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:33 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Adias summed it up I think.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 AM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by FlaHeel
Adias summed it up I think.
Exactly...which is why I have to have a 911 in my stable

Old 12-22-2011, 07:45 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lowpue
Update: I thought I would update you all on my continuing saga. I did order a the Fisker last week after I finally did a test drive. But, after spending the past year with events like the PSDS, DS and DE, I finally decided I can't go on with out having a 911. So I couldn't believe it when my wife said I can keep both. However,there is a catch...her wagon stays in the garage and one of my cars has to stay outside....tried reasoning the 10 year old wagon is not worth much so it should go outside but then I realized I should quit while I was ahead. So my options.
1) Put my 09 C4s with 7200 miles outside...quick way to devalue the car in the NW
2) Try to stack the cars with a lift, but I have friggin' 18" beam in the middle of my 10 ft garage that would make that difficult
3) Trade in my 09 with PDK that still has 3 year warrantee for an 05 stick that will have significantly lower value and I wont mind it being outside as much. I think I want stick anyway since now the car will be primarily be used for DEs. Plus I can freely modify it since I would no longer have to worry about warrantee issues.
4) Just get rid of the C4S. The Fisker dealer said that they would give me 78K for it which I thought was pretty good especially when I look at the tax benefits it gives me with the Fisker...about $7500. Then I just buy a 2005 when the time is right.

Love to hear all of your thoughts.
Option 4, since you are getting a good deal on trade in and for the tax benefits. The Fisker is a unique vehicle, I saw one on the showroom floor at a cadillac dealer. It is definitely a looker compared to the 911. You can always go back to the 911 when the time is right. I would avoid 2005 for IMS issues. I would not have the heart to park even a 2001 Porsche outside. Unfortunately I too have a 2-car garage and my wife's almost brand new MDX goes outside whilst my CPO 2006 Porsche parks in her spot.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:49 AM
cavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to beholdcavsct94 is a splendid one to behold
Get the Fisker. Given what I assume is its scarcity, you can have a bit of fun with it and always sell it and return to Porsche if you get tired of it. It isn't hard to get back into a Porsche.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:50 AM
ELUSIVE is infamous around these partsELUSIVE is infamous around these parts
Pick up a storage unit somewhere.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by Ynot
I would avoid 2005 for IMS issues.
But isn't IMS an issue until 2009 with the new engine? Have you replaced the bearing in your car....and if so what did that cost?

Old 12-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lowpue
But isn't IMS an issue until 2009 with the new engine? Have you replaced the bearing in your car....and if so what did that cost?
Yes it is a possibility as the 2005-2008 cars have IMS but the 2006 and up has an upgraded IMS and less prone to engine failures. My findings isn't scientific, from what I've read on the forums, majority of owners who suffers an IMS failure are 2005 models. No I have not replaced my IMS, I've only had a RMS leak that was replaced under warranty. My speculation for my issues was, it sat in the dealers parking lot for more than 4 months before I purchased it. I knew it was an issue and I knew I had warranty. From what I have read on the forums, RMS issues are usually from parking the car for long periods of time, something that will not happen with my ownership.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:11 PM
last911 has a spectacular aura aboutlast911 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Dharn55
You have to ask yourself two questions.

Do you want a high performance car with a proven track record, high reliability, readily available parts and service backed up by one of the largest car makers in the world. Then the Porsche is the answer.

Do you want a trophy car without a proven track record, unknown reliability, limited or non-existent parts and service availability, first year of production with a high likelihood of significant design and engineering problems backed by a shell company with virtually no real assets, and real questions as to whether it will actually ever be made, and one that if it is you will probably never really be able to drive much. Then Fisker is the answer.
+1

Can you say Delorean? The product support side of this thing has got to be friggin' nightmare unless you leave near and never travel far from a dealer. How long do you think the wait will be for the simple parts? The unique parts? The unobtanium parts? Having owned a Ferrari, this can be a giant PITA.

Just my opinion.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:09 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
If there's no way to extend or expand the garage to allow a third bay, then going up sounds like your only option.

Get a structural builder to come by the house and see if the beam running down the middle of your garage can be modified/moved/etc to allow a lift to be installed (if you have sufficient room between the floor and ceiling). Keep in mind the space needed for your garage door to go up as well.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
Pick up a storage unit somewhere.
I'd definitely do this. Store whichever car you'll drive less in a storage unit near home. When you feel the need to swap cars, just cruise over and swap them out.

-Matt

Old 12-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by last911
+1

Can you say Delorean? The product support side of this thing has got to be friggin' nightmare unless you leave near and never travel far from a dealer. How long do you think the wait will be for the simple parts? The unique parts? The unobtanium parts? Having owned a Ferrari, this can be a giant PITA.

Just my opinion.
I agree, but like my kids, the only way I learn this is by my own mistakes

btw...I have always like the deloreans...and they still are worth today more than they cost in 81-82. Quite different from any Mercedes I have ever owned. But to your point....there is a huge risk they will not survive and then I am stuck...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Dilemma: Porsche or Fisker