997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My Dilemma: Porsche or Fisker

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 07:55 AM
denversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond reputedenversteve has a reputation beyond repute
It seems like a great car but, since there's no comparison between a 4-door electric car and a Porsche, the question is like asking if you should buy an apple or an orange. Buy the one YOU prefer. Personally, I'm waiting for a GT-3 R Hybrid or the 911 Hybrid that emerges from the GT-3 hybrid racing technology. But if I did buy a grand-touring car, it would have to have 500 +/- range. I don't know why you're waiting exactly, it seems that there should be about 200 ready for purchase somewhere.

Last edited by denversteve; 01-04-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:36 PM
NGSmith is infamous around these parts
I ordered one about four years ago. The dealer called today to say that it is in New Jersey and due to arrive in San Diego next week. I have bought two cars since while waiting and now I doubt that I will take it when it arrives next week.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:41 AM
socalbd has a spectacular aura aboutsocalbd has a spectacular aura about
Friskier laying off dozens. That can't be good...

http://economy.ocregister.com/2012/0...off-26/103568/

Old 02-07-2012, 07:29 AM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by socalbd

Thanks for catching this...I am watching carefully. As an update, my current plan is to keep my 997 and take delivery of the Fisker. THe car has been built and in Finland right now.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:46 AM
trunkmonkey is a jewel in the roughtrunkmonkey is a jewel in the roughtrunkmonkey is a jewel in the rough
I would take the Fisker and barely drive it. They are going to fail as a car company and that car will go up in valuation based on its rarity...

Old 02-07-2012, 10:35 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by trunkmonkey
I would take the Fisker and barely drive it. They are going to fail as a car company and that car will go up in valuation based on its rarity...
Or burn up.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:53 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
Saw a Fisker yesterday while dropping off my kid at school, looks like a schoolmate's dad works there (had distributor plate). It looks very unique, definitely an attention grabber. Everybody was pointing at it and talking about it.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:00 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !

Old 02-07-2012, 11:30 AM
hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !hroussard Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by steph280
Saw a Fisker yesterday while dropping off my kid at school, looks like a schoolmate's dad works there (had distributor plate). It looks very unique, definitely an attention grabber. Everybody was pointing at it and talking about it.
. So was the Titanic!!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:36 AM
MBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud ofMBENZF1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by lowpue
Thanks for catching this...I am watching carefully. As an update, my current plan is to keep my 997 and take delivery of the Fisker. THe car has been built and in Finland right now.
lowpue, are you located in Michigan? I live in MI and saw one driving around last night, figured it wasn't you per your post, but figured I'd ask if you're from the Mitten state too.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:05 PM
trunkmonkey is a jewel in the roughtrunkmonkey is a jewel in the roughtrunkmonkey is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by steph280
Having a exotic will get you lots of looks and tons of people asking you about the car. Its a pain in the *** when your in a hurry or feeling unsociable...

Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 PM
TorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud ofTorqueChap has much to be proud of
fisker's just an upscale prius. it looks cool today but will have a dated style soon enough. personally, I'd go 911 all the way. GL with whatever you do

Old 02-07-2012, 12:23 PM
slick911 has a spectacular aura aboutslick911 has a spectacular aura about

+1^^^
Fisher is have DOE loan issues. See below. I would be worried IMHO.

Slick

Fisker Lays Off Workers While Renegotiating DOE Loans.
The AP (2/7, Chase) reports, "Fisker Automotive, an electric car maker that received a" $528 million "loan from the federal government, said Monday that it has laid off workers in Delaware and California" even as it seeks to renegotiate the loan agreement with the Department of Energy. The DOE's loan availability for Fisker's Nina project was "contingent on Fisker meeting development and sales milestones for" Karma luxury car, which the company missed. The two are not negotiating "to modify the loan agreement so funds for that project can be released." Drian Selander, a spokesman for Delaware Gov. Jack Markell, said, "We are frustrated that Fisker and the DOE have been unable to come to terms on revisions to their loan agreement in time to avoid this."
The Detroit News (2/7, Sheardson) reports Energy Department spokesman Damien LaVera said, "Fisker has experienced some delays in its sales and production schedule - which is common for start-ups," adding, "As Fisker works through those issues and incorporates lessons learned from the production of the Karma, the department is working with Fisker to review a revised business plan and determine the best path forward." Fisker "may choose to raise private financing to complete the retooling of a former General Motors Co. factory in Delaware to build EVs."
The Wilmington (DE) News Journal (2/7, Ruth) reports Fisker spokesman Roger Ormisher said in a statement, "To date we have received $193 million of the $529 million Department of Energy loan, mostly for the Karma program, and received our last reimbursement in May 2011." Alan Levin, Delaware's director of economic development, said that Delaware's "congressional delegation and Gov. Jack Markell have been in contact with Department of Energy Secretary Steven Chu in an effort to resolve the loan issue." Meanwhile, "the layoffs and word of cash-flow issues are certain to draw more attention to the Fisker loan from critics, including Republicans in Congress and GOP presidential candidates, who already have suggested Fisker's problems are evidence that the DOE loan program is not turning out well."
Politico (2/7, Tau) characterizes the news as "another setback for President Obama's clean energy loan programs." Bloomberg News (2/7, Keane, Feeley), CNNMoney (2/7, Pagliery), Reuters (2/7, Groom), the Orange County (CA) Register (2/7, Norman), and the "Money & Co." blog of the Los Angeles Times (2/7, Hirsch) also cover the story.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:43 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
It would be nice if our government did not have to fund this... (or you and me)

I'm trying my best to remain optimistic about this situation (and car maker), but situations like these make it difficult.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:37 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MBENZF1
lowpue, are you located in Michigan? I live in MI and saw one driving around last night, figured it wasn't you per your post, but figured I'd ask if you're from the Mitten state too.
MI = Mercer Island

And as I stated, I think I have decided to keep both....depending on my mood. Frankly, I think my 997.2 may be the last sports care based on what I have been reading about the 991 test drives. So I want to keep it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Dilemma: Porsche or Fisker