997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My Dilemma: Porsche or Fisker

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:07 AM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
My Dilemma: Porsche or Fisker

Three years ago a put a Deposit on the Fisker Karma (pic attached). I am number 526 on the waitlist. For those of you not familiar, it a PHEV-50 start up run by the famous Henrik Fisker and manufactured by Valmet in Finland (I think Porsche uses them too). Well yesterday I got the call that I can test drive at the end of march and will need to put my order in.

So my Dilemma. My wife will not let me have both....I know the first suggestion is get rid of the wife....but then I would have neither with the divorce. So do I stay with the 911, the car I have wanted as a child, the raw power, the exhilaration, the legacy, and the people like you guys....or do I go with the Fisker....designed by a legend with the legacy of Aston Martin and BMW, a technology paradigm shift, and in my view really a piece of art and frankly, exclusivity since really no one else will have one for quite awhile. Clearly two different cars.

What do I do? I kinda know what you guys will say being this is P-forum and I am leaning towards keeping my P-car but I do want opinions.

Pics of the two cars below. The Fisker is from a private showing I was invited almost 1.5 years ago to see the prototype. The C4S is mine.

Attached Images   

Last edited by lowpue; 02-25-2011 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:25 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
Originally Posted by lowpue
Three years ago a put a Deposit on the Fisker Karma (pic attached). I am number 526 on the waitlist. For those of you not familiar, it a PHEV-50 start up run by the famous Henrik Fisker and manufactured by Valmet in Finland (I think Porsche uses them too). Well yesterday I got the call that I can test drive at the end of march and will need to put my order in.

So my Dilemma. My wife will not let me have both....I know the first suggestion is get rid of the wife....but then I would have neither with the divorce. So do I stay with the 911, the car I have wanted as a child, the raw power, the exhilaration, the legacy, and the people like you guys....or do I go with the Fisker....designed by a legend with the legacy of Aston Martin and BMW, a technology paradigm shift, and in my view really a piece of art and frankly, exclusivity since really no one else will have one for quite awhile. Clearly two different cars.

What do I do? I kinda know what you guys will say being this is P-forum and I am leaning towards keeping my P-car but I do want opinions.

Pics of the two cars below. The Fisker is from a private showing I was invited almost 1.5 years ago to see the prototype. The C4S is mine.
get it and keep it a secret?
I don't see what the big deal is... obviously it isn't a money problem considering that you can choose to purchase the Fisker. Is she eco-conscious or whatever?
I'd buy it and keep it in a storage garage
she won't be the wiser!

you obviously seem to be leaning towards the Fisker from your post. It will be unique, and as a result, if you don't like it, you can sell it for possibly a profit? one thing is for sure, you won't lose on it, and you can buy another Porsche (991!!!!) if that is the case!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:29 AM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Comet
and you can buy another Porsche (991!!!!) if that is the case!
I like the way you think!!!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:31 AM
Richie18 is infamous around these parts
If you drive the car daily then i think the Fisker Karma would be the choice. If the Porsche is a weekend car then I would keep it. The Fisker Karma will be, like you said, like nothing else on the road. An awesome combination of innovation and style, the Karma looks exotic when compared to the 911.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:42 AM
tsammann has a spectacular aura abouttsammann has a spectacular aura about
Take the hall pass from Stuttgart, drive the Fisker for as long as it excites you, move back to the 997/991 if & when you feel the pull. Just be sure to send us pics and give us the full download!

Old 02-25-2011, 08:56 AM
ExactlyCake is infamous around these parts
Only one way to settle this.

Grab a coin and start flippin.

Old 02-25-2011, 08:56 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Can you get the Fisker with the intent to sell the pcar or do you need to get rid of the pcar first? The reason I ask is that maybe you just won't be able to sell it :-)

Old 02-25-2011, 09:08 AM
richard181 is infamous around these parts
How ling till you actuallg get the Fisker.. You could have the Porsche for a year before the Fisker is ready.
My friend is on the wait list and all he got was a model.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:16 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
I would get the Fisker......

A very unique looking car.......and you can always come back to a Porsche one day!

GL with your choice!

Stacy

Old 02-25-2011, 09:32 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Unfortunately I would stay away. The car was first announced back in September 2007, then shown at the North American International Auto Show in January 2008. They planned to have them for sale in Q4 of 2009 (which clearly didn’t happen). Then it was September 2010 for the launch (which also didn’t happen) and now building for production models is supposed to start this month but who knows if it happened or not.

I do agree it could be a very cool car to have but that would be about it. They are only supposed to be building 15,000. They have only presold 3,000. I am sure the car is going to have its issues and unless it comes with a very sweet factory warranty you could be looking at a large hassle if things go wrong. If Fisker is serious about making cars they will produce a second model that I am sure will be a much more solid car. Kind of like the old “I don’t buy first generation, I buy second so they have time to work all the bugs out.” Nothing tells me that this car is going to be a true collector’s item either so I’m not even sure that comes into play here.

Also if I am reading it correctly the car only does 50 miles on battery, so it isn’t very advanced at all. Had it been all electric I may be judging it a bit easier.

Although I am sure you could buy it, hate it, sell it for a profit and get back into a new 991…that is a lot of back and forth. It is you call though. GL with the decision.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:05 AM
steph280 has a spectacular aura aboutsteph280 has a spectacular aura about
I would suggest you buy the Fisker for your wife and you buy the Porsche. This way she can't complain about you having both.

Fisker's HQ is down the street from me and they seem to have a lot of activities. But I agree with gloves, I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Hawkeye1 is infamous around these parts
Porsche all the way. The Karma is not just a first-gen car, it's the first production car Fisker has made. Too many reliability questions for me. Plus, they are planning on a Karma coupe so maybe wait for that. If you are set on being an early adopter, go for it. If you want to really reduce your carbon footprint, maybe the Tesla model S which is all electric and half the price of Fisker...

Old 02-25-2011, 10:42 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
With a few exceptions, I 'm surprised that so many replies suggest replacing a 911 with a FK sight unseen and unproven. For some of us, the 911 is so unique in its driving characteristics that it would take an equally unique driving-dynamics-car to switch, but I guess for many here it does not matter.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
You have to ask yourself two questions.

Do you want a high performance car with a proven track record, high reliability, readily available parts and service backed up by one of the largest car makers in the world. Then the Porsche is the answer.

Do you want a trophy car without a proven track record, unknown reliability, limited or non-existent parts and service availability, first year of production with a high likelihood of significant design and engineering problems backed by a shell company with virtually no real assets, and real questions as to whether it will actually ever be made, and one that if it is you will probably never really be able to drive much. Then Fisker is the answer.

Old 02-25-2011, 10:56 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dharn55
You have to ask yourself two questions.

Do you want a high performance car with a proven track record, high reliability, readily available parts and service backed up by one of the largest car makers in the world. Then the Porsche is the answer.

Do you want a trophy car without a proven track record, unknown reliability, limited or non-existent parts and service availability, first year of production with a high likelihood of significant design and engineering problems backed by a shell company with virtually no real assets, and real questions as to whether it will actually ever be made, and one that if it is you will probably never really be able to drive much. Then Fisker is the answer.
Very well stated!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Dilemma: Porsche or Fisker