997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The Red Beast- Phase 0 through 4...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 04:24 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Wow!!!!!! Great thread j............ I assume u sold all the stock parts, correct?

Jim

Old 02-28-2011, 07:16 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
Wow!!!!!! Great thread j............ I assume u sold all the stock parts, correct?

Jim
The aftermarket parts? They are pretty much all sold. A few bits left to go but all the big stuff is gone. I actually received about 60-70% of the original value of the mods. Pretty good and it made the "un-build" worth it.

Jason

Old 03-01-2011, 01:31 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JEllis
The aftermarket parts? They are pretty much all sold. A few bits left to go but all the big stuff is gone. I actually received about 60-70% of the original value of the mods. Pretty good and it made the "un-build" worth it.

Jason

no...i meant stock parts.......u had to buy all new stock parts for the un build??? if u did.....holy $hit buddy....thats some serious change

Old 03-01-2011, 02:49 AM
Banned
twints4 is infamous around these parts
beautiful car

Old 03-01-2011, 07:42 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jjc4scab
no...i meant stock parts.......u had to buy all new stock parts for the un build??? if u did.....holy $hit buddy....thats some serious change
Ahhh, I had my stock suspension but the exhaust and wheels I had to track down. I did some shopping around and found some great prices.

Jason

Old 03-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Nice tread, great trip down memory lane. Sad to see it go back to stock, don't wished that on any Porsche but if it helps you get a GT3, all is good. Still one gorgeous looking guards red 997S

Old 03-04-2011, 11:28 PM
While I waited for a few more new OE parts to come in to finish the suspension install, I started on the stock exhaust.

I can not state this enough.... exhaust mods/additions/maintenance on a Porsche is super super easy!!!!!

My car came with PSE... a fantastic OE option, however, a little tinny sounding stock. I sold my PSE not long after GMG installed my center exit. But, Sin911 was kind enough to sell me his. His PSE also came with Ceramic coated exhaust tips. Perfect for my new vision for Phase-4.

Pics:

The ceramic coating on the tips was a little "used" for my liking so I touched it up with some VHT spray. This stuff goes on like a powder almost and then can be buffed back to a shine. Blends in perfectly with the ceramic coating. I used it all the time with my GMG exhuast.

Anyone else notice who makes the stock PSE? Good Stuff!

PSE going back on! Gives you a good look at all the brand new OE bits that have gone in the suspension.

Routing the piping for the valves (huge PITA)... still needs the routing clip at this point which attaches to the exhaust flang just below the valve.

The next few pics show the process of getting the exhaust back in. Some brand new OE parts that I required. Proof that everything is genuine OEM Porsche.

Like most things on this car, you have to do multiple things at the same time in order to get the pieces together. When it comes to the exhaust, you have to mount both cats at the same time. They both need to be loose prior to tightening the bolts on either. After you get them in position you can start working the OE clamps etc....

More to come!

Jason

Last edited by JEllis; 03-04-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:09 AM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
Great write up, Jason.

I too gutted my mods (though not as extensive as yours) and returned the car to stock before I sold it.

After removing all the "good" parts (mods) the car felt an sounded so plain and boring... it was easier to part with it that way.

What's next?

Old 03-05-2011, 12:14 AM
Well a GT3 hopefully but I still toy with the idea of a Phase-5 for the red beast. There has been an amazing amount of interest in the car lately....

Jason

Old 03-06-2011, 07:10 AM
adymcd is infamous around these parts
Jason

Can I ask, what was you original end goal when you first bought the car?

I have a red C2s with aerokit and PSE and prior to collecting the car had a very similar plan to yours of a change to the Bilstein, new wheels and a slightly better exhaust. I didn't want to go much further than this as my goal is a gt3 within the next two years.

I have spoken with a couple of the UK tuning companies and all are suggesting mods far more in depth than I would have liked in order that I can use the car on a track, they are basically suggesting a car very similar to what you ended up with from GMG plus a couple of engine mods to stop oil starvation.

I suppose my question to you is did you spoil the car going as far as you did and did you go this far in order to track the car?

Adrian

Old 03-06-2011, 12:19 PM
Good questions!

Originally the plan was to keep the PSE, add in some AWE cats and X51 headers. Damptronics and E88's were alway part of the plan and they were probably my favorite mod. After that I was planning on set of GT2 seats and roll bar. I also considered a VF SC at some point or staying NA and adding some of the X51 engine mods later on.

I tracked the car in Phase-2 (one DE weekend) and the car was more capable than my skills. Even in stock form the 997S is one fast car... street or track. You do not need a lot of modifications to be successful in club racing.

With the mods I had, the car was riding a line between being a full track car and a tuned street car. Simply put, the car was a little too extreme to be enjoyed on the street and a little too soft to be a straight up race car. And, the funny part is that I never wanted a full up track car to begin with so I am not sure why I ever started down this path.

Jason

Old 03-06-2011, 03:00 PM
mattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the roughmattgarrett is a jewel in the rough
Can you post a couple of pictures with the "new" black lobster claws? i am wanting some different wheels and i haven't seen these in black.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:20 PM
I would love to. Once the suspension is done I will get the new wheels on and the car off of the stands.

The exhaust is finally on and done and so is the rear bumper. Front suspension is done and just waiting on a couple pieces of hardware for the rear. I will post up the progress pics shortly.

Jason

Old 03-15-2011, 07:39 PM
Okay back to the exhaust and the rear bumper.

Exhaust installed. Time for a good cleaning!

Last edited by JEllis; 03-15-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:49 PM
Brand new heat shield. Found it on Ebay at a very reasonable price!

Now the bumper goes on. Also brand new and also found on Ebay for less than 1/4 of the new price! Gotta love Ebay!

Jason

Last edited by JEllis; 03-15-2011 at 07:52 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Red Beast- Phase 0 through 4...