997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

are cabs unpopular?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 07:52 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
to the OP's orig question...

i dont think theyre "unpopular" per se, but considering how relatively rare a carrera is (vs. more ubiquitous beetles, 3-series beemers etc), a cab is going to be even rarer. therefore, one might think theyre unpopular given the rarity of a sighting. it would be interesting to see the ratio of cab to coupe and how that compares to, say, a mercedes model cab/coupe ratio or other more prolific makes and models.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Plp39503 has a spectacular aura aboutPlp39503 has a spectacular aura about
I tend to fly a lot for business. The Houston airport has a "reserved" floor at the close-in parking structure (SurePark) with guaranteed parking spots for members. It includes security/surveillance. Tons of nice and expensive cars always in there, including 911's...the non-statistically significant sample is about 50-50 Cabs-to-Coupes.

Funny, there are times when the 1st 911 on the parking floor will go out to a strip of 6-7 empty spots, and the rest of the 911's will park next to each other. Should take a picture and post sometime.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
I have a hard-top convertible and would never considered a rag-top. I have many friends who has the S2000 and after a few years, their rag-top looks horrible. I understand Porsche wants to keep the weight down by putting in a rag-top but in my opinion. Most cab owners buy cabs so they can cruise with top down on a nice sunny day, track days isn't a priority, with that said, I would think a hard-top is a better choice.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:02 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Ynot
I have a hard-top convertible and would never considered a rag-top. I have many friends who has the S2000 and after a few years, their rag-top looks horrible. I understand Porsche wants to keep the weight down by putting in a rag-top but in my opinion. Most cab owners buy cabs so they can cruise with top down on a nice sunny day, track days isn't a priority, with that said, I would think a hard-top is a better choice.
The rag tops take up less room when folded into the car. I agree that aging can be an issue for convertibles but as many cars are leased these days, perhaps it doesn't matter to the person ordering the new car.

By the way, my experience in sitting in hard top convertibles is that they can creak quite a bit.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 AM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
The soft tops on Porsche cabs are beautifully made. Any older 996 cabs I see appear to be in great shape. I've never seen any posts here from cab owners with any complaints or issues with their tops. Mine is 5 years old and still looks great.
I personally think the retractable hard tops are over-blown. They use up virtually the whole trunk, and are heavy. Note that the new MBZ E class convertibles have soft tops. I doubt that Porsche would ever have a retractable hard top, both for weight issues as well as the physical limitations of the rear-engine design.
To the OP, if you want a cab, don't hesitate to get one. You won't regret it IMO.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fahrer
The rag tops take up less room when folded into the car. I agree that aging can be an issue for convertibles but as many cars are leased these days, perhaps it doesn't matter to the person ordering the new car.

By the way, my experience in sitting in hard top convertibles is that they can creak quite a bit.
I've had mine for nearly six years, no creaks of any kind. There are lot of moving parts that goes, if it creaks, then it probably just needs to be lubed.

Old 02-28-2011, 12:49 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
I believe a pertinent question related to this issue is, "what is the intended use of the car?" If it's to be used only as a second car, with no track use intended, a large percentage of buyers probably choose cabs. If track use is intended, no doubt a coupe is better and there is probably little cab penetration into the segment. Similarly, if the car is to be used for a DD, a convertible is less practical due to increased wind noise and road noise, occasional leaks, and decreased insulating properties.
My cab is a pure toy but is so nice and so comfortable that sometimes I choose to use it for daily use. But when it's cruddy outside or I have to take the dog to daycare, no doubt the 5 series gets the nod.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
I had 8 years on my Boxster top, with the plastic rear window no less, and it looked like new. It was always garaged and had 36 K miles on it when I traded it in. As the plastic window was the weakest link on the early tops I suspect my current 997 Cab top will last twice as long or longer.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:30 PM
nine11 is infamous around these parts
No regrets about cab, just the opposite, everyday it confirms my decision. One of the greatest experiences you can have is top down and stretching that 3.8 X51 out. The resonance from the CF intake and PSE is intoxicating. It's a keeper.
I'm 6' 2" and no headroom problems. No creaks, no annoying whistles. The car is quiet with the top up. Roof closes effortlessly. Our climate is 34oC and 90% humidity everyday, so it's down with the top for 30 minutes and then too hot, but the experience s worth it. Porsche A/Cs are excellent, the car is often so cold that I get told to turn the A/C down.
These cars are tough. I treat mine quite harsh in terms of performance and cornering, not tracked though.
This car is not a real carefree daily driver though. I would not park unattended for a long periods at a shopping centre carpark ,for example, as some idiot could take a knife to the roof just to steal your sunglasses or loose change. It's definitely a drive and put away toy.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:51 PM
LeNoah is infamous around these parts
No brainer for me here in SoCal. Ideal top down temp is between 65 and 75 which is daytime temp here on the coast 90% of the time.

Had a '02 996 cab before the '08 S. Never had a single problem with the top. Never leaked a drop and I don't think it is any louder than my friends coupes -- except when the top is down -- then I just can't keep my foot out of it --sounds so pretty when you get up over 4 grand.

Had 2 Targas in the past (a '72 and '74 I think) and both had more squeeks and rattles than my cabs.