997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

are cabs unpopular?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 06:36 PM
crackberry005 is infamous around these parts
are cabs unpopular?

so i was just looking at the inventory of local p dealers, and i realized that there are a lot of 2010 cabs sitting on the lot. since im still new to shopping for p cars, i was wondering are cabs generally not popular?

Old 02-26-2011, 06:55 PM
tskeen is infamous around these parts
I had a 01 996 cab...it was not an S so it was a bit soft imho...i bet the 997s are better

Old 02-26-2011, 07:23 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
They're popular enough for Porsche to continue to make them year after year. Soft-tops usually appeal to a smaller number of buyers irregardless of make.

Old 02-26-2011, 07:27 PM
David4315 is infamous around these parts
I have a C4S cab which I love (wish I had bought a turbo). I'm not sure how to explain the dealer inventory, but unless you are a serious track guy I can imagine not owning a cab. Nothing like the top down on a pretty day in a fast car.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:02 PM
I have a C4S cab which I love (wish I had bought a turbo). I'm not sure how to explain the dealer inventory, but unless you are a serious track guy I can imagine not owning a cab. Nothing like the top down on a pretty day in a fast car.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:13 PM
fjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to all
Run across any exceptional cab deals?

Old 02-26-2011, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by fjpgt3
Run across any exceptional cab deals?
im sure there are good cab deals. theres like 15 at least sitting on lots in socal. i just havent started negotiating on price since im waiting for a 991

Old 02-26-2011, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by David4315
see, thats what im thinking. its socal here, and its sunny most of the time. that drop top would get a lot of use here by any owner. but for some reason, there are a lot just collecting dust. iono.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:04 PM
I think you just said it "socal." You see so many exactly because they are popular there. Best weather in the world - wish I lived there instead of the crappy east coast.

Old 02-26-2011, 09:14 PM
Originally Posted by David4315
I think you just said it "socal." You see so many exactly because they are popular there. Best weather in the world - wish I lived there instead of the crappy east coast.
but there are so many '10 left over on dealer lots. i have no idea why tho.

when i was first car shopping, i lot of dealers tried to pawn off their old my vert m3s. and i mean they have been sitting there for over 12+ calendar months! they had a lot, esp in silverstone (which i FREAKING love). but, imo, i think those vert m3s were still there because no many ppl like that color, and because the vert maybe a bit financially of out of reach for potential m3 customers. dont shot me. just my opinion, given the comments and surprised reactions ive gotten from dealers.

but thats prolly a different situation all together and doesnt affect most p car buyers since budget isnt excatly the most pressing issue.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:41 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
it's the weather. it's even cold in LA this year.

when we hit summer weather, inventory goes down.

there is no better convertible than porsche. those folding hardtops are heavy. good thing porsche hasn't fallen for those.

Old 02-27-2011, 05:46 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
Originally Posted by crackberry005
see, thats what im thinking. its socal here, and its sunny most of the time. that drop top would get a lot of use here by any owner. but for some reason, there are a lot just collecting dust. iono.
nothing worst than boiling in traffic..
let me tell you!
I had a 335 cab before my P-car, and I swore off convertibles as a DD

*wake up
* "ooh nice weather"
* drop top
* drive to work, "I'm so glad I can fully enjoy this weather!"
* get stuck in traffic
* start sweating, "I hope traffic stays in one place long enough so I can put my top back on!!"
* traffic clears, top still down, drive fast
* get to work sweaty with messed up hair

The only time I'd drop top 100% was at night
I'd get a weekend car convertible, but never a DD

Old 02-27-2011, 06:11 AM
MI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to beholdMI55LE is a splendid one to behold
agree with the above post..

had a convertible in Hawaii - put top down, drive 2 blocks and it starts to shower, put top up, drive 2 blocks and it's clear, put top down.....stop for lunch, put top up, finish lunch, put top down, drive 2 blocks and it starts to shower...........

had a convertible in Texas - put top down, drive 2 blocks and holy moly it's HOT, put top up (and leave it up for the summer).. get into the rainy season and see that the top is out of adjustment and I get soaked with rain leaking over the top of the windshield

never again

Old 02-27-2011, 07:09 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Convertibles can be quite nice to drive with the right conditions for many folks. On the downside convertibles are generally shaky or heavy ( or both). The Porsche is good in this respect but the coupes still handle better. Also, if it is a keeper, one will eventually have to deal with issues with the top.
I actually rarely use the sunroof in my BMW, Mercedes or Porsche.... alergies.... If I could order one without a sunroof, I would do that.

Old 02-27-2011, 07:16 AM
I had an M3 cab when I lived in LA a few years back and went a full 9 months and never had an occasion to put the roof UP. I think it finally rained and I had to. Part of this is having a garage at both ends of my commute and living on the West Side. Back East Winter is horrible - Summer is truly nasty and there is enough to pollen to turn your black car yellow in Spring.

I probably just miss SOCAL and don't much care if my hair gets windblown.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: are cabs unpopular?