997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

A question for the masses

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Mojo31 is infamous around these parts
A question for the masses

I'm looking at '09-'10 C2s and C2Ss. I looked at an '09 C2S today that has <5k on the clock and is optioned perfectly for my desires. The ask is low $70s and is being sold by a dealer of other makes. The remaining factory warranty is 2.5 years of the 4yr/50k.

Here's the issue - the roof has a couple of shallow dents and the sunroof has between 5 and 10 shallow dents. It almost looks like a small kid crawled on the roof and dented it wherever his knees hit. They start at the rear window on each side of the sat antenae and continue forward to the sunroof. The dents look like the kind of stuff that a good PDR guy could remove - they are relatively shallow and not creased. Otherwise the thing looks perfect although I'd get a PPI. I'm not sure if this enough to stay away from the car and would like to know the opinion of those here.

Second question is if the dents can be removed to the point that no visible trace is left, what type of discount should be sought due to impact to market value? If the dents can be removed and for the right discount this may be a very attractive car. The car's been suntanning for a while on that dealer's lot.

Finally, what residual problems are associated with PDR? I've had small dents from hail and the like removd before, but have never kept the cars long enough to see any long term problems.

Thanks for any comments.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:17 PM
Scoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura aboutScoper has a spectacular aura about
Sounds like someone really took out their frustrations on that car, either that or some kid really jumped all over the thing. Look at it from the dealer's side: they presented that car in the BEST LIGHT they could, and THAT is what it looks like. I'm pretty sure it looked a lot worse prior to that. Without the whole option list, it's hard to say how good the price is, but low 70s is not bad for a 09 C2S with low miles. I bet you that the "discount" for the dents is already put into that price.

I, for one, would not ever feel comfortable with knowing that kind of damage was on the bodywork if I was spending $70k. I'd look for another car - no "deal" is good enough to make up for this - you'll be thinking about it the entire time you own the car.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 PM
MSCHWA3439 is infamous around these parts
walk away

Old 03-01-2011, 09:01 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by MSCHWA3439
walk away
Agree. There are lots of cars out there without having to contend with those issues.

Old 03-01-2011, 09:45 PM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
i'd run, not walk.

then again, if you're paying a lot less, have the dealer get a PDR to remove them and see how it turns out.

not knowing the options, an 09 could have run from $85 - $120k new so it's hard to say anything about pricing

Old 03-01-2011, 11:04 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
#1 If it was easy to get those dents out....why didn't the dealer alrady do that. Much easier to sell.
#2 Its a sign of abuse...why get a car with obvious signs.
#3 What kind of dealer would sell a car looking like that. Makes me wonder about the dealer.

I would walk.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:33 AM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Ouch, tough crowd.

Assuming they are not foot prints, s**t happens. It could be an opportunity for the right price.

I understand the situation. Shortly after acquiring my car I was putting my back rack on my car and the person assisting me "slipped". I too have 4 small dings.

I've looked into repairing at a body shop which quoted around $1500 but then it gets the "body panel painted branding". It's possible just to replace the entire roof section. A dent doctor can do it, but access is tricky through a partially opened sunroof.

We are all a bit of a prima-donna when it comes to our cars and our advice however I only walk away on mechanically abused cars.

Make an offer and tell them to fix it, or knock off a bit. Keep in mind trade-in for an 09 is in the mid-50's. Could be a great deal.

Sounds like a great opportunity to upgrade to a carbon fiber roof.

Last edited by KK Moto; 03-02-2011 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:00 AM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Finally, what residual problems are associated with PDR? I've had small dents from hail and the like removd before, but have never kept the cars long enough to see any long term problems..
The PDR appears better than the dreaded full body panel repaint. If there are really a bunch, I'd replace the entire panel. (see above).

Old 03-02-2011, 07:44 AM
My first inclination was to walk away and not even drive the thing when it was pointed out to me. Then I got to thinking that it could be an opportunity for a good price, assuming it can be fixed to my liking. The question is what is the right price.

The options from the dealer's (not a Porsche dealer) listing are:

Floor mats
Bose
Heated seats
Dynamic Corniering Lights
PCM Nav module
19" Carrera Classic wheels
Power seat package
XM
Sport Chrono Plus
Auto dimming mirrors
Seat ventilation
Univ Audio Interface
6 disc changer
Bluetooth

Locally, well equipped, low mileage, CPO 997.2 Ss are listing at $72 - 75K. This one is not CPO but has 2.5 years left on original warranty.

The damage would not bother me if repaired with no visible evidence of repair and no future problems such as paint peel, bubble, crack, etc. I do believe though that it will imact the value down the road when it's time to sell/trade. Any thoughts on how much?

Any further thoughts?

Old 03-02-2011, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by KK Moto
Ouch, tough crowd.

Sounds like a great opportunity to upgrade to a carbon fiber roof.
Links? Any idea what is involved?

Are the original roofs bolted on, welded, or one piece formed with the rear quarters, etc.? Does it have to be cut off?

I guess you lose the sunroof.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:56 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
I'm looking at '09-'10 C2s and C2Ss. I looked at an '09 C2S today that has <5k on the clock and is optioned perfectly for my desires. The ask is low $70s and is being sold by a dealer of other makes. The remaining factory warranty is 2.5 years of the 4yr/50k.

Here's the issue - the roof has a couple of shallow dents and the sunroof has between 5 and 10 shallow dents. It almost looks like a small kid crawled on the roof and dented it wherever his knees hit.
Thanks for any comments.

highlighted does not match. low $70Ks must be as good as a brand new car.

small dents on a roof is usually a hail damage. bad for paint.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:10 AM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Any further thoughts?
Sounds like a nice car, however, my problem is more with the dealer than the car. Its strange to me that he wouldn't fix it before trying to sell it if it were easy to do. Without seeing the damage, My view is that perhaps there is some reason PDR would not work and there was some risk with trying to doing it. He just figured he will let someone else deal with it. Something is not kosher....I have yet to meet a dealer who would not PDR his vehicle if it is douable, particularily for at $70+ vehicle. If you are really set on the vehicle make him PDR and offer the same price you were going to if he didn't PDR. He is an idiot for not doing it in the first place.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by lowpue
Sounds like a nice car, however, my problem is more with the dealer than the car. Its strange to me that he wouldn't fix it before trying to sell it if it were easy to do. Without seeing the damage, My view is that perhaps there is some reason PDR would not work and there was some risk with trying to doing it. He just figured he will let someone else deal with it. Something is not kosher....I have yet to meet a dealer who would not PDR his vehicle if it is douable, particularily for at $70+ vehicle. If you are really set on the vehicle make him PDR and offer the same price you were going to if he didn't PDR. He is an idiot for not doing it in the first place.

Agreed something is not right about this. I was real surprised the dealer would present it this way. And, even more surprised that they did not try to repair through PDR, especially considering some of the magic a good PDR guy can do.

If I decide to see if this one can work, my thoughts were to make an offer of $_________________ contingent on PDR removal of dents to my satisfaction and PPI. It only works for me if (i) the dents can be removed to my satisfaction without repainting or damage, (ii) everything else checks out, and (iii) I can save a butt load of cash compared to a car that is near perfect. My big question is what number goes in the blank.

By the way, there are not a lot of 997.2s for sale in my area that meet my wishes.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:37 PM
997C2SM - Seems I'm not mature enough to send a PM. Would you email me at Mojoben31@gmail.com?

Old 03-02-2011, 03:01 PM
Links? Any idea what is involved?

Are the original roofs bolted on, welded, or one piece formed with the rear quarters, etc.? Does it have to be cut off?

I guess you lose the sunroof.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/10811171...ng/lowphotos#0

GMG apparently. I know I've seen this on 6S before, this looks familiar. I'd like to do this to mine but have temporarily wrapped my roof with the 3M carbon fiber film, essentially hiding my couple of small dings. I still need to get it repaired and this roof would be an option.

I do not know price, how its placed etc.

When I officially make my 911 a track only vehicle I plan to do this and yes, lose the sunroof in the process.

Looks like a reasonably simple process. There are installation photos floating around here somewhere.

I definitely would not walk away. Some of the best deals out there are the unloved ones. We are a very picky group. Look past the cover. Have you seen how fast RSR's go to second owners? These vehicles certainly not been coddled.

Last edited by KK Moto; 03-02-2011 at 03:05 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: A question for the masses