997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Questions regarding a new purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 10:07 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Sounds like you were misled about the CPO and warranty. And it sounds like that warranty was where they were looking to get their profit. I hate deals that muddle a bunch of things together - "that's how they get ya..."

If you have something indicating the car was advertised as CPO, that would seem to be a strong position to be coming from.

yrralis1 makes good points though. Think about the outcome you are shooting for - keep the car, don't keep the car, restore CPO status, etc and focus only on what it takes to get that outcome. Worrying about who said what or why or trust, etc is not going to help you with that outcome.

Show them where they advertised the car as CPO and ask them to make it right.

Old 03-04-2011, 10:13 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
what did you pay for the car ? I have a 2008 Carrera as well, with about 30k miles.
I am in the minority here, but I will say that my factory Nav, while not as pretty as current, has bailed me out of quite a few lost situations. Also, the Nav on the order sheet was $2140 option. So, keep that in mind. Enjoy the car!!

Old 03-04-2011, 12:22 PM
treasureshell is infamous around these parts
Hi guys! thanks for your feedback/comments/advice. We will decide what to do after the indy inspection tomorrow. And you are absolutely correct that this whole event has trigger "doubts and trust concerns with the dealership". We left the room of the Sales Mgr with an agreed upon Price with CPO coverage and expected that we walk out of the Finance Mgr's room with the same agreed upon "product".

Originally Posted by chance6
what did you pay for the car ? I have a 2008 Carrera as well, with about 30k miles.
Chance, we had an agreed upon price of $54K with CPO at the sale's manager office. After we went to the Finance manager's office and purchased the EasyCare warranty..the sale price on contract dropped to $52K and are now finding out that we lost the CPO.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:08 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
Here's my recommendation:

1) go for a long drive in your Porsche together
2) arrive home and enjoy your favorite wine and movie
3) forget about the "what could happen"

If something happens, you are covered. Maybe you were misled, maybe you even paid a little more for what you got. At this point seems the time you should be enjoying your car the most is being sabotaged by stress.

Old 03-04-2011, 02:14 PM
henrysko is infamous around these partshenrysko is infamous around these parts
^+1.

Sound advice!

Old 03-05-2011, 01:42 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
$52k is not a bad price for non-CPO. AND your brakes got replaced, right ? What options are on it ? I paid $58k for mine in July 2009, so the price sounds about right.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:04 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by treasureshell
... we had an agreed upon price of $54K with CPO at the sale's manager office. After we went to the Finance manager's office and purchased the EasyCare warranty..the sale price on contract dropped to $52K and are now finding out that we lost the CPO.
Right and it sounds like CPO is a no money maker for them and the other deal saved them money (CPO costs them something) with added profit - or perhaps the Sales Manager was incorrect and your car could not be CPO'd.

All the dealer add-ons are money makers for them : extended warranties, tire/wheel warranty, lojack, clear-bra, etc. And some may be worth it to a given buyer, but you should be given the facts up front with no bait and switch.

The real question is, is the Warranty you got better than CPO? If so, be happy, if not...I'd be a bit bent about it and don't think I'd just let it go.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Smile

Hi guys!

So we took the car for post-pi and dme scan this morning at an indy shop recommended by someone here on the forum. Inspection passed with flying colors. The technician had worked at an Audi/Porsche dealer for 20+ years so is very knowledgeable with the car. He confirmed for us that the brakes and tires were brand new (all genuine Porsche parts). Car had no signs of ever being in an accident. He lift the car up to show us the base and there were no scratch whatsoever!! He also took the car out for a quick ride with hubby and said the car ran perfectly fine.

The only 2 minor issues he found was that 1) computer not registering the tire pressure correctly (off by 4pts), which he said can be easily reset by the dealer and 2) through reading the DME scan..he noticed that the gas cap was once not tightened completely.

I mentioned to him that the rear spoiler made squeaky noise when lifting manually and he lube it with some silicone spray.....noise went away after a few lifts We were there for about 2 hours and the technician was great and answered all of our questions and even told hubby how to take care of the car maintenance wise.

We did mention about the warranty issues with the dealership and he said that most likely it was done to max their profits. He recommended us to call around other Porsche dealer and get a quote for EasyCare with same coverage to see if the $6K we paid was excessive.

All in all we are very relieved at this point and will work with the dealer to see if we can re-instate the cpo warrant (ideally), if not, get a discount on the warranty they sold us.

Thanks everyone for all of your help..it has been a nerve wracking week for us!!! now I am ready to enjoy that vrooooom vrooooom sound from the car.

p.s. we received a follow-up e-mail from the f-manager and he said that the car was indeed a CPO and will show us the checklist when we go in for the clear bra and is willing to work with us to make us "comfy" with the purchase.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:36 PM
taylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond reputetaylorcoleman has a reputation beyond repute
$6k - OMG.

Nevermind prior post.

Glad the car checked out though.

Old 03-05-2011, 05:41 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
Yea 6 k ..ouch

I would return it and live with just CPO...even if they add back in the 2k discount

Old 03-05-2011, 09:45 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
It sounds like this all worked out for you . I'm glad that you took the time to get the answers you needed to make an informed decision. You can try and get the CPO or discounting the aftermarket but at this point you are mostly done with sales and can focus on bulding a happier relationship with service .

If the sales dept brushes you off you might suggest that you hope to not only enjoy the car but buy another someday from them as well as recommend them for doing the right thing of making an effort to correct the emotional uneasyness you felt with the warranty/CPO snags .
(If they reject you .. in my opinion --the issue is not worth pursuing . Just buy your next car somewhere else unless they earn your customer satisfaction. As for the 6K --education can sometimes be expensive . Besides they did knock 2K off the car before adding the 6 .) All in all .. its not a bad deal.

Just like I thought the car might be OK ... maybe the saleman thought he was making more profit but also selling you a good warranty . In fact it is decent .
After all the coverage differences between CPO and Easy Care are mostly sorted out in the service department and some sales guys simply may not know.

Most important -- you got the questions answered and you have a great car . Enjoy it !!!! Congtrats !!!

Old 03-05-2011, 10:26 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
can contact them and ask for a quote see how inline the dealer was
http://www.easycare.com/GetCoverage/GetEasyCare.aspx

Old 03-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Originally Posted by chance6
$52k is not a bad price for non-CPO. AND your brakes got replaced, right ? What options are on it ? I paid $58k for mine in July 2009, so the price sounds about right.
Yes, new brakes and tires.

Options on the car:

19" Carrera S Wheel with color crest
Comfort Package - power seats with heat and self-dimming mirrors
Bose Sound system

Btw, I must say that the seat is uber comfy. I suffer from chronic lower back pain and never felt 100% comfy sitting in hubby's old 3-series bimmer. The lumbar support placement in the 911 hits the perfect spot for me for lower back support and I am surprised how well the seat cradles my petite build

Last edited by treasureshell; 03-05-2011 at 11:50 PM.