997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Questions regarding a new purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:39 PM
treasureshell is infamous around these parts
Questions regarding a new purchase(Update: shady business practice,need suggestions)

hi guys,

So hubby went out and bought his first Porsche (a 2008 Carrera) this past weekend. It's a CPO with 27K miles on it, she is beautiful! So beautiful that we forgot to ask for the CPO check list and a DME report that I've been reading on the forum . We have sent a follow-up request to get these two things from the dealer and is planning to take her to get an independent PPI/DME this weekend for peace of mind.

So I have couple questions hoping that you guys can help me out here.

1) any potential issue requesting CPO/DME checklist after the purchase? Will the dealer deny our request because we already bought the car?

2) we did not receive a CPO Warranty binder at the time of purchase, is this suppose to be provided at the time of purchase? or will it be sent to us via mail directly from PCNA? The only warranty related document we received was the Buyer's Guide with the boxes of Warranty and Full checked and it says that the "Manufacturer's warranty still applies, and has not expired on this vehicle".

3) Hubby wants a NAVI installed but dealer quoted $5K which is excessive i think. If we were to get the genuine DVD player/antenna/etc and have a reputable independent Porsche shop to do the installation for us, will it void the factory Warranty?

Thanks in advance for your inputs/advice!

Last edited by treasureshell; 03-03-2011 at 07:16 PM. Reason: updating title
Old 03-02-2011, 12:52 PM
Max77 has a spectacular aura aboutMax77 has a spectacular aura about
Porsche NAV prior to 2009 is pure crap and expensive. You're either better off spending $150 on a portable GPS or getting an indie shop to install a 3rd party setup as you've mentioned. If you have the Bose package, it will require more work since a new amp needs to be installed.

I don't understand the point of having an independent PPI/DME done after the fact. You've already bought the car, if it comes back negative you have absolutely no recourse. Waste of money IMO.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:35 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by treasureshell
1) any potential issue requesting CPO/DME checklist after the purchase? Will the dealer deny our request because we already bought the car?

2) we did not receive a CPO Warranty binder at the time of purchase, is this suppose to be provided at the time of purchase? or will it be sent to us via mail directly from PCNA?
1) no issue getting the CPO checklist after the fact. but, the only items on it that aren't "yes" or "no" are the tire wear and brake wear (which is 1-10 scale, and you need at least a 6 to pass), so just expect a lot of check marks.

2) the dealer should give you the warranty binder with the checklist, but don't sweat it for now. You don't need to bring in paperwork with you for service. I would just call the dealer and ask them to check in your computerized service file when your warranty expires. If it's the right date, you should be set until you pick up the paperwork.

i agree that the 2008 NAV stinks and $5000 for install is crazy! i'd go handheld if you don't use it that often. to answer your question though, yes, an aftermarket NAV will probably void your warranty for anything connected to that interface. if you have a friendly dealer he may be more lax but if it were me, i'd proceed with this assumption.

enjoy the carrera, it really is wonderful!

Old 03-02-2011, 05:47 PM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
If you want the factory look then there are plenty of OEM Nav units on Ebay....they start at $850, but you will need to purchase extra parts. You should still be able to save thousands doing it this way.

If you're buying the OEM Navi for anything else other than maintaining the factory look (e.g. functionality), you might want to consider alternatives. The OEM Navi has the same functionality as most $99 units.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:34 PM
So if we get the OEM Nav unit on Ebay + OEM parts but have it installed by someone other than Porsche dealer...it won't void the warranty?

And thanks everyone for your advice!! I understand that doing a PPI/DME after the fact is a moot point...but we are hoping that there won't be problems that we need to take care of and just so that he can sleep better at night.

Carfax report came back clean, it had one owner and the vehicle was a lease turn-in, had clear bra applied while leased + possibly lo-jack so I think the previous owner took good care of it.....but we shall see after the ppi/dme this weekend

Old 03-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Sven has a spectacular aura aboutSven has a spectacular aura about
Maxx77: I think it is worth getting the DME from the dealer to establish WHEN any over revs occurred. That's particularly true since some test drivers and sales people see a used car on the lot as an opportunity to drive hard and abuse the car. One would want to establish that any over revs in the territories that void warranties did not occur on the OP's watch, but rather pre sale as CPO.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:28 PM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
So if we get the OEM Nav unit on Ebay + OEM parts but have it installed by someone other than Porsche dealer...it won't void the warranty?

And thanks everyone for your advice!! I understand that doing a PPI/DME after the fact is a moot point...but we are hoping that there won't be problems that we need to take care of and just so that he can sleep better at night.

Carfax report came back clean, it had one owner and the vehicle was a lease turn-in, had clear bra applied while leased + possibly lo-jack so I think the previous owner took good care of it.....but we shall see after the ppi/dme this weekend
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but with an OEM unit installed, the dealer would probably never even know to cancel your warranty.

Also, if you had supplied the dealer with the parts and had them do the install, then your warranty should still be valid. If you go this route, be prepared to spend about $150/hr for service (probably about 3 hours is what they will charge).

Old 03-03-2011, 06:10 PM
BoxsterG is infamous around these parts
I personally would nt buy the OEM Nav for your model as it is truly expensive. I had it on a previous model and rarely used it. I suggest you recommend that he use that money to take you on a vaction this summer and enjoy the life experience. I assure you that you will remember the vacation compared to the NAV in the 997. I have the new Nav system currently offered in Porsche now and it a 100% improvement over the older model.
If he really wants NAV ask him to look at the options on the market that are available for so MUCH cheaper such as Kenwood and others.
You can find some OEM NAV systems on Fleabay but be sure you do your research before buying to ensure it is compatible with your model.

Enjoy!

Old 03-03-2011, 07:14 PM
Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys, need your help again...we may have a serious situation and please shed some lights… and apology in advance for long post.

So we sent an e-mail to sale's manager for the CPO & DME report and hubby was contacted by a technician via phone. Technician was reluctant to send over the report and told hubby that he can bring the car back for a 110 pt inspection when he goes back there this weekend for the clear bra.

Hubby was alarmed and called the sales girl and then got on the phone with the Finance manager as well. He was told that the car was a CPO before we bought it, but because we had purchased EasyCare extended warranty (5 yrs/75K) miles, it is not longer covered under CPO!!!! (which explains why we never got the CPO binder!)

The F-manager went on and said that because we had chose to purchase the extended warranty, he had given us a discount on the sale price, which is true, but we thought it was more of a courtesy discount since we are shelling out so much money on the warranty.

I sat in there with Hubby while signing paper and we even drew a timeline for various cut-off points for original factory warranty, cpo warranty and extended warranty during the discussion. And at no point during this process did the finance manager explicitly said to us "...by purchasing the extended warranty, you are waiving the CPO coverage". We even asked if we could wait until the CPO warranty runs out in 2014 to purchase the extended warranty and was told not to do so coz it will cost us more later on since the car will have more mileage on it. So we bite the bullet and bought the Total Care coverage for $6K and were given a discount of $2K on the car price.

So a few hours goes by after the call which hubby demanded to see a copy of the CPO report, they sent us a document that looks more like an inspection/work order of when the car was turned in from the lease, they put in new brakes, oil change, etc….but there is a note on there that says “Mutli point inspection not necessary this visit” ….WTF!!! Excuse my language, so we wrote an e-mail back to them an attached a sample CPO report we found here on the forum and asked for the report again. (btw, the car did showed up on PCNA’s website as CPO when we were searching for the car)

Needless to say, hubby and I are UBER pissed right now….and would like to know:

1)Can a car be CPO without going through the CPO checklist? Wouldn’t it be fraud for them to list the vehicle as CPO but they can’t produce the checklist and we inadvertly loss the CPO coverage due to buying the extended warranty?

What’s our options now?

2) Can we go back and demand them to CPO the car and cancel Easy Care?

3)
If the above works, how much would the EasyCare (with total care) costs when the car hits 55K miles and is no longer covered by CPO?

4)) Any material differences on the coverage between CPO & EasyCare? Other than the deductible?

p.s. Car has 27K miles and original warranty ends in 2012.

any suggestion is much much appreciated!!

Last edited by treasureshell; 03-03-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:09 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I sat in there with Hubby while signing paper
You need to look at what you signed. That's the most important thing (your signature on their document) .

As for CPO -
If a car was CPO BEFORE it was traded in to a dealership it loses thet CPO status .
A CPO status can only be transferred via a private sale .. not from a dealership.

CPO is (in my opinion) the best offering post factory warranty. It is not identical to the original but it is very good.

You can not CPO a car that has lost its CPO status .

a DME scan is a factual data log of the car .

As for this --
" Mutli point inspection not necessary this visit”
This actually sounds somewhat encouraging . Was the car leased and serviced there ?

Opinion -
Even if your complaint is accurate and valid --
You did buy it You signed it. You drove it off the lot .
So -
Before dwelling on all the doubts , mistrust , time, and expense -- you do have a 27K mile car with remaining warranty and it may not be exactly what you expected but it might not be as bad as imagined .
Find out .. get it inspected . look over the documents. Then at least you have all the info to make clear decisions of whether to enjoy the car or not.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:09 AM
Yrralis1, thanks for the response

Yes, we purchased the car from a Porsche dealership and the car was probably leased there (Carfax shows the original vehicle registration at a DMV very close to the dealership in 08').

We found this car through searching of CPOs on the PCNA website so I don't think the CPO is non-transferable from Lease-->Porsche Dealer-->us.

My only consolation right now is that we still have 1 yr manufacture warranty if anything should happen. (pending results of our now post-pi and dme scan this weekend).

What's disturbing to me is that the car was advertised as CPO and yet they seem to be having trouble to produce the CPO report! and sent us service records instead.

Are you saying the " Mutli point inspection not necessary this visit” might be encouraging because it may imply that the car did not have any issues during the lease which would trigger the need of having an inspection?

Old 03-04-2011, 01:16 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
To the OP: You thought in good faith that the car was a CPO car, thus the dealer must make that true. In CA you have a few days to return a car back, and you are well justified to do so. CPO is a Porsche warranty. It is more valuable than any other warranty. The dealer is obligated to check the car following a checklist and only if it passes (or the dealer says so under his liability) it is CPOed.

Old 03-04-2011, 01:37 AM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
I would just go back and say you changed your mind on that 6k after market warranty
and would like your money back on that.

I don't think CA has a "Cooling off period" once you sign the paper work your the owner.
Unless that changed recently ..I was at the local dealer few weeks ago,and all over that show room where signs warning about it.
but that after market warranty should be refundable.

and i bet soon as you want to return the warranty they will offer to sell it to you for half off.

DMV info on CA laws on used/new cars
http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr35.htm

Last edited by tonka858; 03-04-2011 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:00 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adias
To the OP: You thought in good faith that the car was a CPO car, thus the dealer must make that true. In CA you have a few days to return a car back, and you are well justified to do so. CPO is a Porsche warranty. It is more valuable than any other warranty. The dealer is obligated to check the car following a checklist and only if it passes (or the dealer says so under his liability) it is CPOed.
I agree with you .
I just think it's a lot easier to have all the facts that she originally asked for (DME , CPO history /status ,.etc) rather than returning the car (without knowing them ) based on emotion and doubts.

I feel it's best knowing facts before buying a used car .
As long as they didn't ...
Why not at least have them --if they choose to return it ?

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-04-2011 at 03:28 AM.
Old 03-04-2011, 02:33 AM
Yrralis1, thanks for the response

Yes, we purchased the car from a Porsche dealership and the car was probably leased there (Carfax shows the original vehicle registration at a DMV very close to the dealership in 08').

We found this car through searching of CPOs on the PCNA website so I don't think the CPO is non-transferable from Lease-->Porsche Dealer-->us.

My only consolation right now is that we still have 1 yr manufacture warranty if anything should happen. (pending results of our now post-pi and dme scan this weekend).

What's disturbing to me is that the car was advertised as CPO and yet they seem to be having trouble to produce the CPO report! and sent us service records instead.

Are you saying the " Mutli point inspection not necessary this visit” might be encouraging because it may imply that the car did not have any issues during the lease which would trigger the need of having an inspection?
If the car was leased , returned , then CPO'd and sold to you .. you are correct.
But it makes no sense that a dealership would up its own cost to CPO a car and face selling at a higher ask price only to sell an overlap/cancellation warranty.

In my opinion reading your posts --the root of the issue are the doubts and trust concerns with the dealership .

BUT --
You also say that the car is running great .
So far not everything is negative .

You might have a valid claim to a refund, partial refund ,exchange ---
(unless you signed a contract of being aware ) .
Read that contract .Have all the concrete facts on the car (inspection/DME, lease /owner (CPO) status -- etc).

Hopefully the facts will help make clear decisions .

Good luck.

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-04-2011 at 03:09 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Questions regarding a new purchase