997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Hre c90 - weighed and installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 06:22 AM
Jay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to beholdJay Jones is a splendid one to behold
Hey Carlitos, you made a great choice going with this set of HRE's! The charcoal face over polished lip works perfectly with your exterior/top color. The 590R's you were considering were installed on a red 997 convertable a few days ago, so they also went to a good home.

Congrats again man, your car looks awesome!

Jay

Old 03-08-2011, 11:04 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Jay Jones
Hey Carlitos, you made a great choice going with this set of HRE's! The charcoal face over polished lip works perfectly with your exterior/top color. The 590R's you were considering were installed on a red 997 convertable a few days ago, so they also went to a good home.

Congrats again man, your car looks awesome!

Jay
thx ! and i am glad things worked out for ur HREs as well.
black and red is a great combo !

Originally Posted by NorthVan
Nothing like a new set of wheels to make the car look better. Congrats, they look good. The weight savings is a huge performance upgrade, better acceleration, braking and cornering.
yeah, it was a win/win situation for me.. making the car look better, imo, and leaner.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:38 PM
Banned
porka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant futureporka has a brilliant future
those wheels suit your car well, sometimes i wish i had a cab

Old 03-30-2011, 09:38 AM
box986 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
just received the HRE c90 yesterday..

couldn't wait to install it !

but 1st..

i wanted to weigh the wheels/tires.

the old wheels:

oem carrera sports

front: 19x8.5 235/35/19 47.40 lbs

rear: 19x11.5 305/30/19 61.80 lbs
Just weighted my new setup, I could have gone with 19" Ultraleggera and save even more weight but with my RE050 is almost worn out and the 20" OZ + new tires cost about the same as 19" wheels by itself.

20X8.5 OZ Ultraleggera , 245/30/20 Continental DW 46.95 lbs
20X11 OZ Ultraleggera , 295/25/20 Continental DW 51.80 lbs

I am happy with the bigger look while I shave some weight off the rears!

Old 03-30-2011, 10:11 AM
Former Vendor
HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !
the new wheels:

HRE C90

front: 19x8.5 235/35/19 42.70 lbs

rear: 19x11 305/30/19 46.85 lbs !!!

difference in weight

front: -4.7 lbs

rear: whopping -15 lbs

the new rear weighs less than the old front !
Nice lil HRE diet your Porsche went on =)

Old 03-30-2011, 12:38 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Lon@HRE
Nice lil HRE diet your Porsche went on =)
thx !

it made a tremendous difference on the Pcar ! car is more nimble, smoother, and definitely faster !

by far, the best mod i did so far !

2- PS2 tires
3- OEM SSK
4- Cargraphics Exhaust
5- 9500CI
6- SmarTop

RSS plenum is up there somewhere, too.
other mods: Dension 500 w/ BT, Rennline pedals, BMC filter, TA sides, HOEN light, Chromed exhaust tips..

Old 03-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !HRE_Wheels Is a GOD !
Since weight savings on wheels is typically multiplied by the rolling inertia, you will feel a difference in performance with 5lbs and 15lbs weight savings on each corner. I'm no engineer, but you can feel 1-2 lbs a corner, and at the gas pump.

Your car is definitely coming along very nicely.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:12 AM
Sharkys is infamous around these parts
Nice Wheels. Can anybody translate weight savings to the equivalent HP gain and in 0-60 mph and quarter mile times? I heard 100 lbs is worth a tenth (.10) of a second in the quarter mile - all things being equal. I fiddled around with an online calculator (some time ago) and I do not remember the site. Not sure saving 300lbs on a stock 997 is even possible without ripping out the entire interior and then some.

Old 04-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Sharkys
Nice Wheels. Can anybody translate weight savings to the equivalent HP gain and in 0-60 mph and quarter mile times? I heard 100 lbs is worth a tenth (.10) of a second in the quarter mile - all things being equal. I fiddled around with an online calculator (some time ago) and I do not remember the site. Not sure saving 300lbs on a stock 997 is even possible without ripping out the entire interior and then some.
Let us know if you find that calculator.

Don't forget, it helps on MPG not that most Porsche owners care about that. But it shows that lighter wheels definitely improve performance.

We have a demo that you spin one of our wheels and try to catch the rotating wheel. Then we compare it to a spinning OEM wheel, and trying to catch it while rotating. Big difference.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:10 PM
awcayenne is a jewel in the roughawcayenne is a jewel in the roughawcayenne is a jewel in the rough
So nice!

Old 04-09-2011, 06:28 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
the new wheels:

HRE C90

difference in weight

wow, that's a substantial difference. So, the question from someone who doesn't know any better is why are the OEM wheels so heavy? Does the lighter wheel bend/crack easier than the OEM?

Old 04-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by Sharkys
Originally Posted by Lon@HRE
Let us know if you find that calculator.

Don't forget, it helps on MPG not that most Porsche owners care about that. But it shows that lighter wheels definitely improve performance.

We have a demo that you spin one of our wheels and try to catch the rotating wheel. Then we compare it to a spinning OEM wheel, and trying to catch it while rotating. Big difference.
the consensus is that 1 lb unsprung weight loss is equivalent to 10 lbs of vehicle weight..

so let's say i've lost 35lbs (conservative figure, since i actually lost 39.4 lbs).. that's same as losing 350 lbs of vehicle weight (sprung weight) !!

that translates to 0.3500 faster 1/4 mile..

and then there is the MOI (moment of inertia).. but that's another story.

if u r interested, read:
http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-articles/unsprung-weight-part-1-a-29057/
and
http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-articles/unsprung-weight-part-2-a-29058/

Old 04-11-2011, 12:14 PM
Former Vendor
the consensus is that 1 lb unsprung weight loss is equivalent to 10 lbs of vehicle weight..

so let's say i've lost 35lbs (conservative figure, since i actually lost 39.4 lbs).. that's same as losing 350 lbs of vehicle weight (sprung weight) !!

that translates to 0.3500 faster 1/4 mile..

and then there is the MOI (moment of inertia).. but that's another story.

if u r interested, read:
http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-articles/unsprung-weight-part-1-a-29057/
and
http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-articles/unsprung-weight-part-2-a-29058/
Great info!

Old 04-11-2011, 12:17 PM
911CSLover is infamous around these parts911CSLover is infamous around these parts
the new wheels:

HRE C90

difference in weight

Your wallet had the most significant weight reduction of the bunch!

Old 04-11-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by michaeldantep
wow, that's a substantial difference. So, the question from someone who doesn't know any better is why are the OEM wheels so heavy? Does the lighter wheel bend/crack easier than the OEM?
it prob has to do with cost and reliability.

not all Porsche wheels are heavy, tho..
certainly not the ones on the gt3 rs..
they prob figure that most people who drive the non-gt3/gt2 cars don't care about the wheel weight.

forged wheels are expensive.. and unless Porsche charges $8-10k for a set, they won't make enough profit since they prob have to buy it from a vendor (they dont have a in-house wheel manufacturing facility as far as i know)...

cast wheels are cheaper to produce and i 'm sure Porsche wants to make sure they are strong enough to withstand the rigorous driving we put them through (read zero liability)..thus the heavy weight ..

Porsche knows that people who care about wheel weight will prob change it themselves and not pay the extra premium to buy it from Porsche.