997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

iPod cable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 01:58 PM
Market Top is infamous around these parts
iPod cable?

Just bought a used 2010 C2S (promise pics when it stops raining ), but the former owner forgot to include the cable that connects the iPod to the PCM. A trip to the apple store, website, and Porsche website yielded no results. Plenty of pictures but no order number. Any idea where to get one? Also, will the single cable (labeled iPod) also charge it?
Thanks

Old 03-05-2011, 02:21 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
any dealer should be able to get it for you or...

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...2s_electronics - this cable is required for newer ipods and I think needs to be plugged into both the iPod and USB connectors for charging - the single cable, without the USB tail, works for older ones.

Last edited by stevepow; 03-05-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:23 PM
Thanks! I should probably keep this website handy.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:27 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
The USB cable that came with my iPhone 4 charges my iPhone when plugged into the USB port. It doesn't recognize the iPod on my iPhone but charges both iPhone and an older iPod.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:31 PM
Now I have to go get a new iPod. Have an "old" Nano but I guess for $150 and 8G of hard drive, the new Nano probably makes sense to get - and just keep it in the car.

Old 03-05-2011, 04:04 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
Or get an 8GB+ USB/flash drive. Makes more sense.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:09 PM
gellie is infamous around these parts
Can someone please expaln to me what the USB connection is used for? I dont see where it would plug into my Ipod/Iphone? Thanks

Old 03-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by gellie
Can someone please expaln to me what the USB connection is used for? I dont see where it would plug into my Ipod/Iphone? Thanks
I've never used one by itself in the car but my owners manual makes it sound like you can store songs in various formats on a flash drive then plug it into the car and the PCM will read it. I bought the cable from Sun Coast and my iPod connects seamlessly. Pretty sweet actually.

edit: re-reading your post...if you are only using a flash drive/USB then it has nothing to do with your iPod. Download straight from your computer hard drive.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:50 PM
Use that USB connector for other MP3 player or USB flash drive. If you have the latest PCM iPod/iPhone Y-cable from Porsche, plug one end into the USB connector and the other end (DIN) to the iPod connector. Plug the other end (docking) into the dock connector on your iPod/iPhone. The USB connector is needed to charge your late-model iPod/iPhone.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:07 PM
not sure i understand. I just upgraded my Ipod and noticed tis not charging in the car. I have the "original' single cable it came with that wass working perfectly with my old Ipod. I also have a USB input next to the Ipod input that i have attached a USB lfash drive that works fine. Are you saying that if i purchase rhis new cable I'll have to input one end to my Ipod and the USB to where i currently have my uSB flash drive?

Old 03-21-2011, 02:13 PM
not sure i understand. I just upgraded my Ipod and noticed tis not charging in the car. I have the "original' single cable it came with that wass working perfectly with my old Ipod. I also have a USB input next to the Ipod input that i have attached a USB lfash drive that works fine. Are you saying that if i purchase rhis new cable I'll have to input one end to my Ipod and the USB to where i currently have my uSB flash drive?
Yes, if you want to charge your iPod at the same time. Otherwise, you don't have to plug it in and the iPod will work until it runs out of juice.
All late-model iPods and iPhone require 5V to charge and that's what the USB connector is for. Older models of iPods do not have this requirement.

Last edited by TooSixy; 03-21-2011 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Thats not going to work. I guess ill go back to the old Ipod and my flash usb. Thx

Old 03-21-2011, 02:21 PM
That's why I had suggested earlier that a 8GB USB drive would make more sense than a 8GB iPod (to be used exclusively with the PCM).

Old 03-21-2011, 05:32 PM
True, only if it accepted non comprssed music. I hate having to re-rip my music to MP3 format.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:25 PM
GregM3 is a name known to allGregM3 is a name known to allGregM3 is a name known to allGregM3 is a name known to allGregM3 is a name known to allGregM3 is a name known to all
not sure i understand. I just upgraded my Ipod and noticed tis not charging in the car. I have the "original' single cable it came with that wass working perfectly with my old Ipod. I also have a USB input next to the Ipod input that i have attached a USB lfash drive that works fine. Are you saying that if i purchase rhis new cable I'll have to input one end to my iPod and the USB to where i currently have my uSB flash drive?
You need the y-cable to play and charge your iPod Touch while it remains in the car. The single cable that came with your car will recognize the iPod Touch but t won't charge it. The single cable you have will charge and play other iPods however (Nano, Shuffle and iPod Classic) It will work (recognize playlists, artists, etc.) like its supposed to.

I just went through this myself on my 09 and since I don't need a Touch in the car I bought a 120G iPod Classic and kept the single input cable that came with the car rather than buy the y-cable. I keep my iPod touch in the house now.

Hope this helps.
Greg

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: iPod cable?