997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

tire tread design question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 04:45 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
thx Damon, for chiming in with ur expertise !

Originally Posted by EJ-997
I have about 1000 miles on my hankooks and they have very good grip (compared to contis), especially in the wet. I don't understand why yours would be loose?
perhaps, cause i had less than 100 miles on them ?? not sure..

Old 03-09-2011, 12:01 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Incidentally, we have also done hydroplane resistance tests on many directional tires and found that the difference in how they evacuate water is negligible if flipped backwards, too. Check out our tech section, it's a great resource on tires.....
Nothing like hearing it from the experts....Thanks

Old 03-09-2011, 03:52 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
i am trying hankook v12 (directional) in the rear right now.. but it seems loose compared to the Pirellis..
Loose.

The reason is because the Pirelli tires have both larger, tighter treadblocks than the Hankook does. It's a more stable tire, even when new. The HK's are new, too so the tread depth is deeper. As a a result the tires are "squirming" under the car and feel different than the front. It's natural on a new tire, especially if coming off of very worn tires that are actually the most stable when worn down.

This is a textbook example of what could happen when mixing tires on a car. The two axles are fighting each other in the way they handle.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 03-09-2011, 05:20 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by damon@tirerack
Loose.

The reason is because the Pirelli tires have both larger, tighter treadblocks than the Hankook does. It's a more stable tire, even when new. The HK's are new, too so the tread depth is deeper. As a a result the tires are "squirming" under the car and feel different than the front. It's natural on a new tire, especially if coming off of very worn tires that are actually the most stable when worn down.

This is a textbook example of what could happen when mixing tires on a car. The two axles are fighting each other in the way they handle.
Damon, did you guys at tirerack do any tests of Nitto NT05? I know you do not supply it, but just curious to know.