997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Should I sell my 2008 C4S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 08:09 AM
Mark Ducati is infamous around these partsMark Ducati is infamous around these parts
The more and more I read about threads like this, I tell ya, I am blessed that I've always had nice new cars... Corvettes, Bimmers, Porsche now...

I've never kept a car more than 2-3 years...

When I got married, my wife convinced me that I was throwing money away by "leasing" cars... yeah, she's right if I plan to keep a car... but I don't. I trade cars like I wear shoes...

I was thinking of buying a nice used F430 or Gallardo or perhaps even a Murcielago and keeping it a looooong time...

I think I need to revisit my lease thinking.... IF I'm ALWAYS going to have a car payment... might as well lease and get a lower payment???

Reason I comment on this was regarding the comment earlier about do you "love" your car?

Me... EVERY new sports car I've had, there was always an initial "infatuation"... but I don't think I've ever "fell in love" with any car, always just lust...

So back to your query... what's your attitude about cars? Do you plan to keep it as a collector? Is it a daily driver?

My thought for the Italian sports car dream was to buy one and then give it to my son in 20 years when he gets married...

The world's going to end in 2012 anyways... get what you want now Especially before we run out of gas/oil

Old 03-14-2011, 10:34 PM
NYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of lightNYCPCAR is a glorious beacon of light
AKACAJ,
MMC doesn't care about establishing a long term customer relationships. At that dealership there will be someone who wants to buy the turbo S, only to park it in a 700.00 a month parking spot, to take it out 2 times in the summer, to only sit in 3hrs worth of traffic to the Hamptons, never getting up past 60 MPH and trade it in for a Lambo because he wanted yellow. What I'm saying is your 100k, my 100k+ means nothing to them. People go in there and pay list price, it's crazy, and it's almost expected.

They tried to sell me a car that was actually in an accident 4 weeks before a I put a deposit down on it...carfax..so simple.

1 year later I then made a cash offer for a Turbo because they had the exact car I wanted, they wouldn't budge so I walked out and then they called me for 3 weeks after that.

You have a great car and I wouldnt trade unless your going to trade up to a turbo IMHO. The wow factor will evaporate within a few hours of NYC traffic. Drive your 08 for a while and pick up a used one a few years from now.
Best,
NYCPCAR

Old 03-14-2011, 10:51 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by akacaj
... I don't know why I have this itch to get a PDK car...
Oh, I think you do... you made it patently clear in this thread - How do you work the clutch when you shift gears?.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:32 AM
akacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by adias
Oh, I think you do... you made it patently clear in this thread - How do you work the clutch when you shift gears?.
LOL Yes thats a big reason but not really the main reason. I am not afraid of challenges and learning to drive manual has been a lot of fun. But i think the itch comes from me always wanting the latest tech. PDK just sounds super cool when I hear about how it works.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:40 AM
akacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NYCPCAR
AKACAJ,
MMC doesn't care about establishing a long term customer relationships. At that dealership there will be someone who wants to buy the turbo S, only to park it in a 700.00 a month parking spot, to take it out 2 times in the summer, to only sit in 3hrs worth of traffic to the Hamptons, never getting up past 60 MPH and trade it in for a Lambo because he wanted yellow. What I'm saying is your 100k, my 100k+ means nothing to them. People go in there and pay list price, it's crazy, and it's almost expected.

They tried to sell me a car that was actually in an accident 4 weeks before a I put a deposit down on it...carfax..so simple.

1 year later I then made a cash offer for a Turbo because they had the exact car I wanted, they wouldn't budge so I walked out and then they called me for 3 weeks after that.

You have a great car and I wouldnt trade unless your going to trade up to a turbo IMHO. The wow factor will evaporate within a few hours of NYC traffic. Drive your 08 for a while and pick up a used one a few years from now.
Best,
NYCPCAR
I didn't get my car from MMC I got it from Ray Catena in NJ. I have taken my car to MMC for a new tire as well as changing the yellowing stone guards. I did get the same impression as you. Luckily I had tire insurance but they were nice enough to change the stone guards under warranty.

If you search the porsche site now for pre owned vehicles you will notice that their cars are priced at least 10k higher than everyone else.

But it is Manhattan and they do have to pay higher rent.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:45 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Mark Ducati
a)
I think I need to revisit my lease thinking.... IF I'm ALWAYS going to have a car payment... might as well lease and get a lower payment???
b)
So back to your query... what's your attitude about cars? Do you plan to keep it as a collector? Is it a daily driver?

a) surely. if you know 2-3 years is a top of what you want and you do fit into lease milage limits - why not?

b) i am not rich enough for lease, i try to keep car i like for 10 years. if i do not like - it is an other question, i will usually try to talk myself into liking it and if it will not work out - I sell it, usually it was a $3-$4K hit.

i kept 3 cars so far, did not like 2 cars. it is probably way below an 'average' mark of how often people do that, but, well, i am just a poor shmuck with some money and will always be like that no matter how much i make.

Old 03-15-2011, 01:08 PM
zschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud of
I sold my 06 C2S 6spd and bought a 09 C4S PDK. Thinking the PDK and DFI would be a improvement. NOPE. I didnt care for the PDK or the loud DFI fuel injectors. The car reminded me more of a Lexus than a Porsche. Sold the 09 and bought a 993 with the intention of picking up a 08 Turbo in the future. Save your $$$ and enjoy the hell out of your car. Its perfect.....

Old 03-15-2011, 02:29 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zschicago
I sold my 06 C2S 6spd and bought a 09 C4S PDK. Thinking the PDK and DFI would be a improvement. NOPE. I didnt care for the PDK or the loud DFI fuel injectors. The car reminded me more of a Lexus than a Porsche. Sold the 09 and bought a 993 with the intention of picking up a 08 Turbo in the future. Save your $$$ and enjoy the hell out of your car. Its perfect.....
Thanks for your experience. I had a blast driving a 2011 PDK C2S cabriolet but wondered whether I would miss the 6speed. I'm taking a DCT M3 vert out for a spin this week, I'm interested to see how this compares to the PDK.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:09 PM
Schunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to all
Sold my 2004 GT3 and bought a 2007 C4S 6 speed w/ 9k miles for $60k as a daily driver. It's a great DD, but doesn't have the exciting factor of GT3. Plan on getting a new GT3 when it comes out in 2-3 yrs. I would hold on to what you have, and move on to something that you will really love whether it be a Turbo, GT3, or other car that you will want to keep for a long time. For me, I ended up getting 2004 360 Spider for my "excitement"; it's a 6 speed, and I love it! I miss my GT3 greatly though. I plan on keeping my 2007 C4S until it no longer runs; it's a great car to drive every day in any weather w/ plenty of fun factor.

Old 03-15-2011, 03:18 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Schunmd
Sold my 2004 GT3 and bought a 2007 C4S 6 speed w/ 9k miles for $60k as a daily driver. It's a great DD, but doesn't have the exciting factor of GT3. Plan on getting a new GT3 when it comes out in 2-3 yrs. I would hold on to what you have, and move on to something that you will really love whether it be a Turbo, GT3, or other car that you will want to keep for a long time. For me, I ended up getting 2004 360 Spider for my "excitement"; it's a 6 speed, and I love it! I miss my GT3 greatly though. I plan on keeping my 2007 C4S until it no longer runs; it's a great car to drive every day in any weather w/ plenty of fun factor.
Did you use the GT3 as a DD? My friends that have the 997.1 and .2 GT3s universally complain about the heavy clutch in the traffic that is ubiquitous in my city.

How is the maintenance on the 360? Any truth to the $10K timing belt changes (requiring complete engine removal) and 3K headers?

Old 03-15-2011, 03:32 PM
Schunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to allSchunmd is a name known to all
I don't think 996 GT3 is a practical DD; clutch is too heavy, and it does not have bells & whistles for safety or creature comfort. 997 GT3s are much better, but the clutch is just as heavy although for me 997 GT3 could have been a DD; I just didn't want to spend money twice since I definitely want the new GT3 in 2-3 yrs.

360 Spider does run on a belt which needs to be changed every 3-5 yrs (most of us change them every 5 yrs unless drives a lot). It does not require the entire engine to be removed; $10k is for the F355, not the 360s. Belts alone cost between $1600 to $3000 depending on where you get it done; our local dealer has a special going on now for $3000. Annual service is about $700-1000. Clutch can be costly, but 6 speed transmission lasts a while, most likely longer than F1.

Bottom line is yes it does cost more to maintain 360 than a Porsche, but it has a completely different feel when you drive it. I love them both, but I can't live without a P-car; I've had 4 of them, and they are my bread & butter work horses + lots of fun w/ relatively low maintenance issues!