997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Should I sell my 2008 C4S?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:50 PM
akacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to behold
Should I sell my 2008 C4S?

I purchased it last year with 6k miles on it and payed a pretty penny. 78k before taxes, wheel insurance etc. So almost 90 when all said and done. It was a spontaneous decision, I didn't really know anything about Porsche. Other than amongst others the poster car I always wanted. I love the car but now I hear there is a new model (991?) coming out soon. I am worried how that will affect the value of my car. Does it make sense to sell it now and then buy a 2010 when the 2012 comes out? Enjoy it this summer and sell it at the end? Hold on to it for a few years since the worst is probably over?

What would you do?

By the way the car now has 12k miles on it and is in mint condition.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:00 PM
911 James is infamous around these parts
Cars always lose value (unless your a collector). IMHO I would sell if I were buying a 991 or a 993 but not just because they are coming out with a new model. Nice Car btw. There will be a model after the 991....

Old 03-08-2011, 01:11 PM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
You can sell it if you want but I think you'll be surprised what they're booking for these days, you're going to want to sit down if you hand it to a wholesaler or dealer, believe me!

Old 03-08-2011, 01:16 PM
akacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to beholdakacaj is a splendid one to behold
I am wondering if I can trade in to a 2009 C4S PDK for a lost of 10 - 15k?

Old 03-08-2011, 01:24 PM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
To give you an idea, I was offered $37-40k by Porsche dealers on my '06 with 44k miles. I know it's 2 years older and a lot more miles but they were pretty low offers. I had more offered to me through a wholesaler and BMW offered me $44k. I paid $70k 2 years ago.

I think trading to a .2 for those figures is unlikely. In order to get into a .2 C4S which currently have hugely inflated prices anyway due to supply (there aren't many $70-$75k .2 S's out there at the moment) you would need to be offered $60k + in trade in. It's possible but I expect they'll be in the mid $50's rather than $60's.

I also feel trading to a .2 does nothing for you, they're going to depreciate just as badly when the new one comes out. If it was me and you're craving a new 911, either sell it now privately or just wait and trade it vs the 991.

Old 03-08-2011, 01:43 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
You have a great car. Keep it and enjoy it as you have been. Not worth the hit you'll take IMO.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Former Vendor
Wheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond reputeWheel Dynamics has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PSTT07
You have a great car. Keep it and enjoy it as you have been. Not worth the hit you'll take IMO.

Well said....

Old 03-08-2011, 06:21 PM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PSTT07
+ 2 for that. Please enjoy the car ... which is why you bought it in the first place. The '08 C4S is a very nice car. But on the other hand if evertytime you drive it you are surrounded by a cloud of unhappiness then it is time to move on and get into another car (but YOU WILL take a big hit). There is (and will always be) plenty of supply of 997s (and 991s). So they will depreciate unlike air-cooled cars where there is demand but not adequate supply (hence they will maintain their value). Hence people who got 993s a few yrs ago have driven it for 3 to 6 yrs and can still sell their cars for the same price they bought it for.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Mikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to beholdMikli is a splendid one to behold
+3

Is not worth paying another 20k for a .2 upgrade. Saving it for your next 991.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:44 PM
911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute911xpress has a reputation beyond repute
You might be surprised - You might get $58-65K as a trade (more privately) and with the spring weather coming up, that could work in your favor as well.

Nice car BTW.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
Where did you buy MMC? I bought my car there 7 months ago and paid 90k before tax. A month after I got it I saw another car on their lot that had a really great color/option combination and I asked them just for info what would be my trade in if I wanted to swap.. The car I was looking at was 95k sticker and they asked for 25k to do the swap... So one month and 500 miles after purchase they would have given me only 70k for my car.. I kept my car and am very happy with it

Old 03-08-2011, 06:57 PM
WhipE350 is infamous around these parts
If I understand this was your first Porsche...do you love the car every time you get in it, can't wait to drive it, like looking at it in your garage? Either you love the car or you don't, if you don't and you have the money to move on then move on...but if you love the car then don't worry about what else is coming out...or just buy two!

It is a beautiful car!

If I could justify it I would sell the benz and get a 09 Boxster 'S' or a 07 991 Carrera 'S'...but I still wouldn't sell my 2000 Boxster 'S' because I love working on it.

Take a 35 min test drive in some other Porsche and see how you feel back in yours.

Good luck.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:32 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Tough question .
Financially it's a loss to sell or trade in a car when there's nothing wrong with it . On the other hand it's also expensive to keep a car when you are already thinking about the next car . It's even worse if you are are discussing trading that car in for a 2012 car .
Think about this .. you lose 20K on this car and another 20 on the next . That adds up. Then 2012 comes along and and you buy a 991 . Add all that up and you could have bought a Mclauren Mp4 -12c but instead you are driving a 991 ?

No easy answer .. it's a decision that you'll have to face on your own

Last edited by yrralis1; 03-08-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:40 PM
You guys always tell me what I need to hear instead of what I want to hear. But hear me out. I realize that it wont be a 1 to 1 trade in but I figure 15k isn't so bad. If I had leased the car it would have cost me at least that much for the year. With the current car I only have 1 year of warranty left. I will probably need new tires by the end of this year. My dash is telling me it needs service... In other words a bunch of expenses coming up.

With a 2009 PDK 4S I will gain an additional year of warranty, more horse power, PDK transmission with launch control. Updated look, LED lights front and back etc. (just paid $750 for aftermarket LED's on mine which I assume I can re-sell). Newer tires, less miles, updated PCM and GPS... i must be missing something.

According to KBB I should be able to get close to 70K on a trade in. I wont have to pay tax on that amount and I can hopefully find a low 80K 997.2.

When all said and done if I decide to trade in my 997.2 in two years. Wouldn't the 997.2 command a higher price at that point than if I had my 997.1? So in other words I get my $15k back.

I don't plan on buying a 2012 I was just assuming that when it comes out the 997.2 will be in higher demand in the used car market.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:42 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Another way to look at it, is ANY newer car you buy will likely depreciate faster than your current car, since most cars depreciate fastest in the first couple of years. So the longer you keep yours before buying another, the less money you'll lose in the long run. The only way to change this is to get a higher than market price for your current car, and get a fantastic (below market) deal on the next purchase.

I think if you like your car, keep it and enjoy it to the utmost. Too much worrying about depreciation and miles on the odometer just detracts from the joy of having one of these cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Should I sell my 2008 C4S?