997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Lug Nut Soft Sockets

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 03:21 PM
cesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura about
Lug Nut Soft Sockets

I’m on the Pelican Parts website looking for a 19 mm socket for my aluminum nuts on the rear wheels of my C4S. I see three options that vary in price and did not know if anyone had any experience with any of them.

They have:
1. Lug Nut Soft Socket, 1/2" drive, Not For Use With Steel Lug Bolts/Nuts, For Aluminum Lug Nuts Only for $26.95;
2. Impact Duty Soft-Walled Lug Nut Socket - 19mm, 1/2" drive for $29.40; and
3. Protecta Socket Set (17mm, 19mm, 21mm), 1/2 inch drive for $19.00.

I see the merit in having the soft inside as the first socket has so as to not scratch the aluminum. I also see the merit in having a soft outside as the second socket has to not scratch the wheel. The funny thing is, the third option has a soft inside AND outside and comes with a set of three AND is the cheapest. Am I missing something or is the third option the best one?

The link is:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/shopcart/PORS/POR_PORS_PTOOLS_pg2.htm

Thanks,
Craig

Old 03-09-2011, 03:34 PM
monojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nicemonojohn is just really nice
I used a soft socket on my 72 911 S because the aluminum lug bolts were anodized black and I didn't want to scrape them up. It worked great.

I don't use one on my 997S because they are just bare aluminum. I change the wheels fairly often and they look fine and I haven't messed up the wheels.

But, the soft sockets aren't that expensive and it's fun to buy new tools.
I may have to put the soft in/out socket on my Xmas wish list.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
well...

1 - even if you have alum lugs, I still wouldn't use as it'll break... it's not well made at all IMNSHO

2 - really just protects the wheel (can still scratch the bolt) just look at the pic

3 - no experience w/ but looks better than #2, mostly b/c of price. Harbor Freight used to sell a nearly identical 3pc set too (can't remember price) but PP's price is decent enough if you have other things coming. Otherwise, check out a local HF store before ordering.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:39 PM
cesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
well...

1 - even if you have alum lugs, I still wouldn't use as it'll break... it's not well made at all IMNSHO

2 - really just protects the wheel (can still scratch the bolt) just look at the pic

3 - no experience w/ but looks better than #2, mostly b/c of price. Harbor Freight used to sell a nearly identical 3pc set too (can't remember price) but PP's price is decent enough if you have other things coming. Otherwise, check out a local HF store before ordering.

Thanks Burg Boxter. I agree with your read. I'm buying the brass wheel hanger tool from Pelican anyway, so will throw #3 in.

Old 03-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
re: wheel hanger bolt, why not just get the OEM Porsche one from Suncoast... you could get 2 / almost 3 for the price of one from PP. The Porsche one is aluminum so it's a little softer w/ even less chance of scratching wheels. I have HRE P40s in brushed and use 2 of them when installing each of my wheels. Just a thought as it's only $8.95... even be less IF they have 20% coupon event running

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...=997S_wheelacc

Old 03-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
re: wheel hanger bolt, why not just get the OEM Porsche one from Suncoast... you could get 2 / almost 3 for the price of one from PP. The Porsche one is aluminum so it's a little softer w/ even less chance of scratching wheels. I have HRE P40s in brushed and use 2 of them when installing each of my wheels. Just a thought as it's only $8.95... even be less IF they have 20% coupon event running

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...=997S_wheelacc

OK, this website officially ROCKS! Have any thoughts about the PP flat top jack stand with rubber cushion? Worth the $?

Old 03-09-2011, 05:21 PM
w/o a link to know the price I'm gonna take a stab and say no, not worth the $. PP, in my experience, tends to be pricey on commodities/tools but can be competitive sometimes on specialty parts/accessories. However, it's always good to cross shop and like you're doing, ask here or use the search feature.

For jack stands, I use ones like these. Picked 'em up from a local parts store a few years ago for much less per pair (I think mine are 3T rated too ). Then, I went to Lowes and bought a can of the plastic-dip and dunked the tips a few times so they are rubberized/scratch resistant (did the same to the socket I use on my breaker bar too FWIW ). Regardless, it's just the jack points and unless you're a major concours guy, the scratching is negligible. You'll probably get more gashes in your front bumper from curbs/inclines

Good luck

Old 03-10-2011, 06:00 PM
OKB
OKB is infamous around these parts
you can buy them at many dealers, in sets for all lugs, they are basically a deep 6 pt socket with a teflon tube, or sleeve around the outer surface and it keeps the metal from touching the lug hole in the wheel.