997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

20's for the street 18's for the track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 07:38 PM
WTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant future
20's for the street 18's for the track

I have been thinking about this setup for a while.. i have 2 sets of factory wheels and will probably sell them to fund some street and track wheels.

I have Bilstein Damptronics and getting the gt3 control arms soon.. anyways. (all yet to be installed)

I was thinking of getting 2 sets of OZ wheels one for street one for the track/autocross and i love the look of the 20's Ultraleggera/street hankook tires and the 18" alleggerita for autocross/DE with R compounds.

My question is.. will the proper track/autocross alignment/ride height setup for the 18's effect the 20" wheels when on the street? as far as rubbing / extreme tire wear etc. I know the track alignment will burn tires more but thats a different subject i mean just smoke them outright because of the bigger size.

Thanks,

Old 03-14-2011, 07:50 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
For dual purpose I would recommend Porsche OEM ROW height and OEM Performance alignment. Car handles well and is not hard on tires.

Old 03-14-2011, 07:52 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by WTFitsCarter
I have been thinking about this setup for a while.. i have 2 sets of factory wheels and will probably sell them to fund some street and track wheels.

I have Bilstein Damptronics and getting the gt3 control arms soon.. anyways. (all yet to be installed)

I was thinking of getting 2 sets of OZ wheels one for street one for the track/autocross and i love the look of the 20's Ultraleggera/street hankook tires and the 18" alleggerita for autocross/DE with R compounds.

My question is.. will the proper track/autocross alignment/ride height setup for the 18's effect the 20" wheels when on the street? as far as rubbing / extreme tire wear etc. I know the track alignment will burn tires more but thats a different subject i mean just smoke them outright because of the bigger size.

Thanks,
I have been wanting to ask this for awhile....I have two sets of factory 19s, one for winter and one for summer. I want to start tracking my car and was going to use my summer tires but it seems like others have indicated that 18s are the way to go. Why? Should I get yet another set of wheels? I would love to here the pros and cons about all of this. Are low profile tires not good for the track? Why does Porsche come standard with 19s if it is not better. I hope it is not just for looks? Thanks in advance for the responses.

Hope this doesn't drive things too much on a tangent.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:03 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lowpue
I have been wanting to ask this for awhile....I have two sets of factory 19s, one for winter and one for summer. I want to start tracking my car and was going to use my summer tires but it seems like others have indicated that 18s are the way to go. Why? Should I get yet another set of wheels? I would love to here the pros and cons about all of this. Are low profile tires not good for the track? Why does Porsche come standard with 19s if it is not better. I hope it is not just for looks? Thanks in advance for the responses.

Hope this doesn't drive things too much on a tangent.
Yes it is for looks, there are more 18" tire choices, as well a little bit more side wall is good for the track.

Old 03-14-2011, 08:06 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed. 18 x 8.5/10 and 245/295 Hoosiers are a great setup. Please give me a call to discuss! Thanks.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 03-14-2011, 08:27 PM
WTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant future
What about the alignment?? Will the setup for the 18's. Be ok for the 20's??

Old 03-14-2011, 08:31 PM
Agreed. 18 x 8.5/10 and 245/295 Hoosiers are a great setup. Please give me a call to discuss! Thanks.
Damon I sent you an email about the 20's last night. I was asking about the black/graphite my email address is chris.carter@emerson.com

Old 03-15-2011, 06:27 PM
Damon and others, you can easily run a 315/30/18 Hoosier R6 on an 11" wheel for the rear, as well on the front I prefer a 245/35/18. A 235/40 in the front is a little taller then the rear (unless you can find a 35 series for the rear).

Old 03-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by WTFitsCarter
What about the alignment?? Will the setup for the 18's. Be ok for the 20's??
Running an OEM performance alignment works fine for me on 18"s for the track, and 19"s for the street. 20" wheels shouldn't be that much different.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:48 PM
lowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud oflowpue has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Damon and others, you can easily run a 315/30/18 Hoosier R6 on an 11" wheel for the rear, as well on the front I prefer a 245/35/18. A 235/40 in the front is a little taller then the rear (unless you can find a 35 series for the rear).
Would you recommend taking 5mm spacers off for the track??? A little worried about rubbing.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:40 AM
cl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to behold
I run 18's with Bridgestone RE55 R Spec for the track and OEM 19's with PS2's for the road. Damptronics and GT3 LCA's with 1.8 degree neg cam. and a half inch drop. I also got a a corner weight balance after the damptronic install. It took a bit to dial in, but it works for me. C2S is my Daily driver and no probs. You shouldnt have any problems with your 20's ...

Old 03-16-2011, 06:38 AM
Would you recommend taking 5mm spacers off for the track??? A little worried about rubbing.
It depends on the offset of the wheels. I have run mine on the track a few times (with the OEM wheels).

Old 03-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan
It depends on the offset of the wheels. I have run mine on the track a few times (with the OEM wheels).
Just to clarify, 5mm spacers with 18" OEM wheels and no Problems? I also have the Sport PASM with 20mm lowering? Wonder if that will cause problems? In any case, My wife will kill me when she finds out I will be buying another set of wheels/tires for the track....that means I will have a summer, a winter and track set. How will I explain

Old 03-16-2011, 10:38 AM
machina has a spectacular aura aboutmachina has a spectacular aura about
Just to clarify, 5mm spacers with 18" OEM wheels and no Problems? I also have the Sport PASM with 20mm lowering? Wonder if that will cause problems? In any case, My wife will kill me when she finds out I will be buying another set of wheels/tires for the track....that means I will have a summer, a winter and track set. How will I explain
Just make the wheel/shoe analogy. She dosent wear her pumps to jog in right?

dr

Old 03-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by machina
Just make the wheel/shoe analogy. She dosent wear her pumps to jog in right?

dr
Love it. Thanks! Hope it works

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 20's for the street 18's for the track