997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Adding MF Wheel & Voice Control together

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 04:29 AM
Spectro28 is infamous around these parts
Adding MF Wheel & Voice Control together

Hi All --

Am planning to 'upgrade' my 2010 C2S 6 speed DD to keep my hands on the wheel on my commute.

Got quote from a dealer service advisor (HBL Tysons) to install parts I buy from Suncoast. Service advisor advised 2h for the MF Wheel and 4h for the Voice Control. Didn't know if it would be less, but that's what the Installation and Modification Instructions called for. I already have bluetooth phone, so the mic is installed, and I would think there has to be some overlap of disassembly/reassembly for the two procedures (which I do have printouts of).

It's $130/h labor. That's getting VERY expensive for this upgrade.

Your thoughts?

BTW - as far as Suncoast, MF Wheel is better with their normal price, Voice Control with the 20% discount coupon. They quoted me $16 shipping, no tax. Nice.

Cheers -
Marc

Old 03-23-2011, 06:35 AM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
I don't know about the MFSW since my car already had that but to add VC to a car that has evertything else is putting a module in, getting a code from Germany, and then reprogramming the car to accept the code. I had this done when I bought my car. It does not take four hours. The biggest piece was getting the code from Germany and that was only because you wait on Germany. Now something may have changed in the last two years but that is the way it was then.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:02 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Spectro28
Hi All --

Am planning to 'upgrade' my 2010 C2S 6 speed DD to keep my hands on the wheel on my commute.

Got quote from a dealer service advisor (HBL Tysons) to install parts I buy from Suncoast. Service advisor advised 2h for the MF Wheel and 4h for the Voice Control. Didn't know if it would be less, but that's what the Installation and Modification Instructions called for. I already have bluetooth phone, so the mic is installed, and I would think there has to be some overlap of disassembly/reassembly for the two procedures (which I do have printouts of).

It's $130/h labor. That's getting VERY expensive for this upgrade.

Your thoughts?

BTW - as far as Suncoast, MF Wheel is better with their normal price, Voice Control with the 20% discount coupon. They quoted me $16 shipping, no tax. Nice.

Cheers -
Marc
steering wheel if it is same process as it was with 997.1 car is a perfect simple DIY job that will take about of 30-40 min.

of voice control box - no clue. is it a past of PCM block now so it has to come out or is it just an additional box you put into optical ring? anything in those cars is kinda simple enough to do if you got hands growing out of proper place, so to say.

Old 03-23-2011, 03:07 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
There is probably no overlap in the two installs beyond both require the tech to open the car door, put the paper mat inside and sit in the seat. Well, and disconnecting the battery. To think of it, there is a button on the end of the lower left stalk that activates the voice control.. so that may require steering wheel removal anyway... so there is some overlap.

Beyond that, both have to be enabled with codes on via a PIWIS and the codes are keys that are provided by Germany that probably match your car's master code with the feature.

Neither is a completely do-it-yourself project. At a minimum you would need to visit a dealer to get the codes applied to enable the control modules for the steering controller and the voice system.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Bought the parts from Ryan at Suncoast today. Will report back on the install story.

The PIWIS activation and various special tools needed seems to have it make sense to use the dealer. Am planning to use HBL Tyson's Porsche to do the work, they seem on top of things.

Thanks!
Marc

Old 04-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Smile

Will report back on the install story.
Hi All --

Had the install done yesterday at HBL Tysons Corner Porsche. Very happy with the service I received, came out to $520 for the install of the MF wheel faceplate and voice control module. That's $1537 for the whole package, compared to $1210 for these options if the car had been ordered this way. Not bad.

For the voice control module, I already had Bose and Bluetooth, so the mics were already there, it was just the new stalk module that had to be installed.

I am glad to have done this -- good functionality for my Daily Driver.

I'm looking to sell the mics and old steering wheel face, check the Parts For Sale board on Rennlist if you're interested.
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ferrerid=81505

Thanks!
Marc

Last edited by Spectro28; 04-06-2011 at 04:51 PM.