997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

TA side skirt installation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 11:11 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
TA side skirt installation

just purchased a nice set of used TA side skirts.

tried researching DIY for install and came up with two threads

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-question.html and https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tion-tips.html

Justatoy:Are these Techart side-skirts you bought?
OK.....just went down and checked my car.I had to get a mirror and a light as the car is so low I cannot see underneath,LOL!
I think those 'plugs' as you call them.....are just that and may be covered with under-coating material from the factory making them hard to pull out!
I do not think that the side-skirts mount through those holes.....but cannot remember for sure as it has been a while and MY 'customs' do not mount that way!
What I would do IS jack the car up so that you will have enough room to be able to drill holes.
Clean ALL surfaces with a wax remover.This will allow a good bond for the two sided tape.Before drilling the holes mount the side-skirts with the two sided tape then drill the holes accordingly.

Do NOT get me wrong...you can use screws(they are the easiest way) and IF you do,maybe use stainless screws with washers.....using JUST screws doesn't leave very much surface area to hold the side-skirts and may pull through!
If I remember correctly there are two layers of metal close together in there(and for the life of me cannot remember how close) and you will NOT want to drill both layers......otherwise you will drill into the interior of the car.I I had to cut the plastic push pins shorter to work.
Remember always PLAN.......Start with a small hole.It is easier to make a hole bigger rather than try to put metal back,LOL!

vivid racing: test fit the side skirts first to make sure you dont have to do any sanding and they fit flush. Once that is done, have them painted. Wipe down the part of the body the side skirts will fit to with some rubbing alcohol. Line the side of the side skirt that touches the body with 3M double sided tape. Press the side skirt in place and hold it there for about 5 minutes. Drill in the front wheel well and rear wheel well 1 or 2 screws to secure the side skirt. The underside should fit with the factory clips. If not, drive the holes and then use screws, clips, zip ties, whatever. http://www.vividracing.com/forums/pr...mes-alive.html

good advices..
but still have few more questions.

1- what size/type screws? what length? screws for metal?

2- what does 'drive the holes' mean?

3- how much should paint job cost? its painted black right now.

4- do it myself or just take it to a shop? how much with paint/install do u think?

thx in adv

Old 03-23-2011, 07:41 PM
awcayenne is a jewel in the roughawcayenne is a jewel in the roughawcayenne is a jewel in the rough
Old 03-24-2011, 11:16 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
thx awcayenne !! that vid helps a ton !

now if someone can just tell me which type of screws they are using.. thx in adv

Old 03-25-2011, 10:32 AM
BoxsterG is infamous around these parts
call them up they will be happy share info.