997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Considering Porsche Speedster

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Haen has a spectacular aura aboutHaen has a spectacular aura aboutHaen has a spectacular aura about
Considering Porsche Speedster

I would not be buying the car as an investment but I am hesitant about potentially massive depreciation. What should I expect the market for the car to be like over the next couple of years? I don't want to spend the money to buy a new Speedster if it's going to be selling on par with used GTS convertibles in a couple of years. If depreciation is expected to be modest than I'll probably go for a new one but if it's supposed to drop substantially in the first year or two, I would rather wait it out and pick up a clean used example at a nice discount.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:33 PM
away is infamous around these parts
Neat car but IMHO it's going to depreciate. Surely not as much as the standard S cab but the only direction is down.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:47 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
unless u r gonna baby this car, i would not recommend it for normal use.. the steep price doesnt justify it.

besides the limited production, the three main diff between the speedster and the gts are :
1) raked front windshields
2) the hump covers in the rear for the roof and
3) no space behind the front seats.

it is heavier in the rear, slower all around, difficult to work the top, and u will end up missing the little room in the back..

but if u got money to burn and want the exclusivity, go for it !

btw, i really cannot see one of these coming on the market at a 'nice' discount in couple of years since there will only be 100 coming to the states... but who knows.

Last edited by crazycarlitos; 03-24-2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:05 PM
NC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant futureNC 997 has a brilliant future
I assume I feel the same way about last year's Sport Classic as you do about a new Speedster. The difference is that the Sport Classic was never intended to be imported to the U.S. (not that I could afford one if it had been - I can't) and yet the car still blows me away every time I see a photo or video clip of one. If you look at the bottom line, the Sport Classic isn’t that much different from a GTS coupe, certainly not more than twice the car at more than twice the price.

So.. my .02 cents (and we all know what that's worth). Cars like the Speedster and the Sport Classic aren't intended to be 'drivers'.. they're collectibles meant to be put away for those (very) special occasions, or put in deep pocketed collector's collections. It makes little economical (or emotional) sense to spend over $200K for a car that isn't twice the car a nicely equipped GTS Cab is, although the price of admission is nearly twice what it is for the GTS.

However, like the man said above, if you can afford it, and won't be happy with anything else, then by all means, pull the trigger. Just know that you're liable to take a huge hit when it comes time to move it. If you know that going in, and can live with the consequences, then I say 'go for it'..

Old 03-24-2011, 04:58 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
I would think a good indicator would be to see what the Sport Classics are reselling for in Europe right now. Those models are about 6+ months ahead of the Speedster and both are limited production models.

The Carrera GT originally sold for $440k (I think?) and prices seem to have bottomed out around $200k. Of course, this is a whole different car with total production numbers around 1300. With only 356 Speedsters, I don't ever see the price dropping below $100k before they turn around and start appreciating. Still a big hit if you sell at the bottom of the market! My guess is that if you buy it and hold onto it for a couple of years and put say 10k miles on it, it would still resell for around $160-175k.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:25 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
May want to check Porsche leasing residuals for an estimate in two or three years. No one has a crystal ball just like CGT's sunk two years ago with recession. There seems to be a lot of new Speedsters available, so maybe you can get a good deal and if really like it and it is affordable, why not - life is too short. Any new Porsche is going to depreciate a lot.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:21 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think any of the current Porsches are collectable. The next one will be better and Porsche will keep making numerous "special edition" each year.

Buy a Speedster only if you have too much disposable income and have no other way to spend it.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:40 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
I don't think any of the current Porsches are collectable. The next one will be better and Porsche will keep making numerous "special edition" each year.

Buy a Speedster only if you have too much disposable income and have no other way to spend it.
I concur...

Old 03-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Plp39503 has a spectacular aura aboutPlp39503 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
unless u r gonna baby this car, i would not recommend it for normal use.. the steep price doesnt justify it.

besides the limited production, the three main diff between the speedster and the gts are :
1) raked front windshields
2) the hump covers in the rear for the roof and
3) no space behind the front seats.

it is heavier in the rear, slower all around, difficult to work the top, and u will end up missing the little room in the back..

but if u got money to burn and want the exclusivity, go for it !

btw, i really cannot see one of these coming on the market at a 'nice' discount in couple of years since there will only be 100 coming to the states... but who knows.
I don't know much about Speedsters, but if it's slower all around, should it be called a Slowster?

Old 03-24-2011, 08:55 PM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
This car is a passion buy. If you love it go get it. But you have to really simply want it.

best of luck..

Matt

Old 03-24-2011, 09:08 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
I really wanted the GTS until i saw 2 used ones on ebay..under 300 miles
just totally tank.bidding on one got to 101k and msrp was 128..car was 2 weeks old
ouch.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:24 PM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
You want exclusivity?

Buy the 918 instead.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:03 PM
tonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud oftonka858 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
You want exclusivity?

Buy the 918 instead.
or 4 speedsters

Old 03-25-2011, 12:57 AM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
Tough to call.. its a sweet looking ride. Its also rare and unique regardless of how it may be compared to a GTS. Like I say... value is about perception and when you are that rare you can somewhat set your own prices. Here in Canada I am still shocked at how Porsches hold their value in general.