997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

GT silver vs Platinum silver

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:55 AM
w00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond reputew00tPORSCHE has a reputation beyond repute
GT silver vs Platinum silver

We all know that color is something so personal. GT silver vs Platinum silver: I am under the impression that the GTS has a bluish hue/shade and the PS has a greyish hue to it . I have a few questions since I have not seen PS in person.

1. Have you seen both in person ?
2. Which one do you like and why ?
3. Does PS have the same depth/clarity as GTS ? (coz as nice as arctic silver was, it was a little flat (which quite a few
actually prefer), I always felt that GT silver had that depth and clarity to it's silver)
4. Does PS also change color with every passing hour of the day ?
5. With PS in the mix now, does one feel the need to pay the premium price that GT silver command ?

Photos as always is appreciated. I'll start with mine which is GT silver.

Attached Images     

Last edited by w00tPORSCHE; 03-30-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
I have to see both colors side by side to tell the difference and even then it depends on the lighting. As for my preference, the two colors are too similar in the sunlight to my eye to justify a prefence for one over the other. As for the upcharge ? The GT silver isn't worth the cost of the upgrade to me (which at trade in/re-sale time will net you $0 recovered $$'s over the Platinum Silver).

Old 03-30-2011, 02:14 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have seen both and really like them . My preference goes to Gt Silver . In my opinion the Gt silver is my favorite silver color on the car . On the other hand if you chose a bright interior color (I think you were consideting carerra red) the platinum which is darker yet neutral offsets it nicely . Although terracotta with Gt silver is the classic Porsche combination.

I gotta say .. I like them both. Hard to choose .

Old 03-30-2011, 07:16 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I saw PS on a Cayman S last week. Like it a lot. On a 911 you can't go wrong with either one. I did notice however when I had GT Silver on my Boxster S it did change colors throughout the day.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:14 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
this prob will not help.. but i just finished a nice bottle of wine and more.. =)

i love my gtsilver, and i'd gladly pay premium $ for it , again !!!

i m sure the other silvers are nice, too. '-)

the only other color i'd pay extra dough for is the atlas gray..

Old 03-30-2011, 10:59 PM
THE BUTCHER is infamous around these parts
I HAVE SILVER , CANT TELL WHICH ONE I HAVE
looks bright in sunlight , looks a grey in the shade
I thought it was GT silver , now I am not sure
is it on a code some where on the car

Old 03-31-2011, 08:02 AM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
THE BUTCHER,

My 2006 paint code is under the fuel filler flap. Some are on the door jam.

Added info:http://www.automotivetouchup.com/pai...es/porsche.htm

Last edited by na011; 03-31-2011 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 03-31-2011, 08:12 AM
ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !
I like them both, but prefer the GT Silver. To me the PS sometimes has a slight gold cast, which is not my favorite. In most lighting I like it, just not when I see a little gold color. I think the GT looks deeper or brighter....

Old 03-31-2011, 08:12 AM
RED 997 is infamous around these parts
Silver

Hello. Dont know about platinum silver but when I was first considering artic vs. gt silver I found this photo on one of the forums, maybe this one. It shows the difference between the two. Gt is the darker one. I have gt silver now and really like it. Good luck!

Attached Images  
Old 04-02-2011, 03:46 AM
1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all1BlinkGone is a name known to all
From what I've seen in photos (there's my disclaimer, gang) PS looks like it has just a hint of brownish smoke to it. A very slightly pewter cast.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:50 AM
PRS 7 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dadio
I have to see both colors side by side to tell the difference and even then it depends on the lighting. As for my preference, the two colors are too similar in the sunlight to my eye to justify a prefence for one over the other. As for the upcharge ? The GT silver isn't worth the cost of the upgrade to me (which at trade in/re-sale time will net you $0 recovered $$'s over the Platinum Silver).
This.

It was my favorite until PS was introduced. Small differance to me but big $ differance. A pre-owned GTS car I would go with but new I would go PS.

I was browsing at a PS GTS with exterior paint pkg and it is nice. Let me see if I can post the pic which lit up my saliva glands.

The GTS is sold but these show the subtle hues of PS. I see some blue, gold and even some purplish bits. My eyes are old though.
You can't go wrong with either color IMO.

Attached Images    

Last edited by PRS 7; 04-02-2011 at 05:59 AM. Reason: pics
Old 04-02-2011, 08:29 PM
NazofToronto is infamous around these parts
I went with GT Silver in the end. I found white to be too common for GTS, and Platinum silver had too much of brownish hue.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:15 AM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Silvers don't appeal to me at all and I had an Arctic Silver C4S for 4 years....I was tired of it and it's just far too common....I would go so far as to say after one ownership experience I'd never get one again.

That's just me and how I feel. Of all of the Porsche silvers the one I do like is Polar Silver. I saw a Polar silver 964 with a red interior that was gorgeous but that silver has so much blue in it it's almost not a silver.

Anyway; my opinion on the silvers.

Tom

Old 04-03-2011, 05:13 PM
0luke1 is infamous around these parts
I'm not a big fan of silver, either. But my GT silver car looks good far longer than my black 996.

It's also nice that GT is the acronym for Grand *********.