997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.
View Poll Results: Does Brand Matter Anymore?
Yes
87.18%
No
12.82%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Does Brand Matter Anymore?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:12 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Does Brand Matter Anymore?

A simple question which could be asked on every car forum; the results could be telling.

There are so many mind-numbing debates are out there over which car is a better performer: GTR v 911 TT; 911 S v M3/ ZO6; Cayman S V M Coupe/ TTRS; let alone the Mustang GT/ GT350/ Laguna Seca/ etc.

I largely believe the answer is "yes" sadly for many reasons which we may not be willing to answer truthfully. My biggest example is the Phaeton v BMW 7 Series/ S Class and now the Hyundai fancy-pants sedan (which I think will ultimately have the same fate as the Phaeton). Simply because when people aspire to vehicles such as those listed, with the luxury, refinement, comfort, performance, etc., it depicts a milestone and a certain status which fulfills our inner narcissist.

Regarding performance cars I surmise "brand" matters even more than luxury cars despite the overwhelming majority of owners (many on 6S excluded) do not ever reach a level of maximizing their cars' performance beyond office-bragging, stop-light encounters and ultimately garage queen status.

I suspect we are all victims of brand marketing and it is our competitive nature which brings this out.

And if this turns into a prolonged X is better than Z, please close the thread (moderator).

Last edited by KK Moto; 04-04-2011 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:35 PM
PSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nicePSTT07 is just really nice
IMO...brand does matter. Performance is one of the features that factors into my decision but certainly isn't the only one. For this much $$$ it better make me happy and leave me smiling each and every time. The turbo does this for me time and time again!

Old 04-04-2011, 07:19 PM
brendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond reputebrendo has a reputation beyond repute
yes, brand is relevant. the way the question is posed, "does it matter anymore?" i think the only answer is yes.

now, do i buy porsches solely because of the brand? no. there are days i am proud to have a porsche badge (and a jillion hats and swag) and there are other days when i wish i was stealth.

on the track, it's an appliance. it does what it's meant to do reliably

Old 04-04-2011, 08:41 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by brendo
yes, brand is relevant. ......

on the track, it's an appliance. it does what it's meant to do reliably
Well said.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:55 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Brand definitely matters because much of what be buy in cars is emotional, irrational , and intangible. There are people that buy strictly based on logic and that is why cars like the Hyundai Genesis are such good sellers. Cars that give you 80% of the luxury you get for a lower price, and without the badge.

But also with brand comes certain things such as how they drive, look or feel on the road. And how you as an owner feel about it and if you are proud to share your choice with others. Sometimes enthusiasts will buy a less capable, or less reliable car in some areas because its intangibly better in other areas.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Regarding performance cars I surmise "brand" matters even more than luxury cars despite the overwhelming majority of owners (many on 6S excluded) do not ever reach a level of maximizing their cars' performance beyond office-bragging, stop-light encounters and ultimately garage queen status.
I agree . I feel that the data used to justify the comparison is not enough to depict the entire experience . Lap times and zero to sixty data doesn't express the ease of process or the satisfaction of the driver in achieving the number .

On the other hand "brand" is merely a name . Sometimes it's a stamp to describe a history but if it's cheapened (often the case) it loses the appeal . The hot "brand" of today may not be regarded the same tomorrow . Examples like the legendary GM cars like Cadillac (of the 1950's ) or pre "bangled " BMW's of more recent times could be cited as examples where a "brand" had the name but lost a lot of appeal .

In my opinion one must evaluate the merrit of a "brand " in the present and hold it to the same level of accountability as if it had never wore a badge .

Old 04-05-2011, 07:18 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yrralis1
In my opinion one must evaluate the merrit of a "brand " in the present and hold it to the same level of accountability as if it had never wore a badge .
Problem is that for a lot of people that make it to the P-car level it is all about the brand. It is a status symbol and almost nothing more. Sure would could all say that we bought our cars cause it was "blah blah blah" but I will admit that I wanted a slice of the "yeah its a Porsche...and its mine" pie. I dont flaunt it, but there is nothing wrong when a hot girl finds out what you drive and it instantly make her look at you with a bit more

Old 04-05-2011, 08:42 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
I guess saying I don't care, would be a lie. I used to buy American and Japanese before I brought my first German car (BMW M3). I like how solid German car feels, when you close the door, you hear the 'clunk', just feels very solid and very safe. Can't say the same for American and Japanese, feels like if you slam the door too hard, it'll fall apart. The quality both interior/exteriors feels a lot better in German cars. Although they are years behind the Japanese in techno gadgetry.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:52 AM
Dr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of lightDr. Bill is a glorious beacon of light
Of course brand matters. Why do you think Rolex sells over a million watches a year when a $10 Timex is likely more accurate?

Old 04-05-2011, 09:56 AM
JT997 is infamous around these parts
I do think that brand matters, in many of the ways everyone has stated so far, but also because of the brand's history. Obviously, every brand has a different history, or story. I chose Porsche, let's not kid ourselves, there is a bit of the status thing going on, but also because of their strong history. They have obviously earned all of our respect because of what they have been able to do in the sports car world since they have been around. As a designer myself, I respect what their designers and engineers do, and I feel I have a truly great piece of machinery, and quite possibly automotive history. Porsche has shown me that they know how to make a car. The same can't be said for a smaller, or younger upstart company.

Either that's how I really feel, or Porsche's brand marketing has really brainwashed me.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:52 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Maybe not in cereal, vitamins, and canned beans. You can buy the name brand or you can buy the store brand and pretty much end up with the same product.

In what you choose to drive, brand makes a helluva big difference. I choose to drive a Porsche rather than drive a Corvette, a Mustang, Camaro, or Kia for a number of reasons: style, performance, cache, etc, etc, all of which each brand model offers in different ways. The only place that the brand didn't make much of a difference was in Soviet Russia, where the state determined if you drove, what you drove, and where you drove it.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:09 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by yrralis1
That is exactly it - the brand is nothing if the product doesn't deliver what the brand represents - whether it is performance, driving pleasure, luxury, status, economy, reliability, safety, etc.

I think that is often the problem with American cars is that they have no clear brand identity and too many similar cars under different brands.

Most car brands have an identity:

Porsche - sports car, you've seen us on the track - often.
Toyota - reliability
Mercedes Benz - German luxury and engineering
Hyundai - value
Jeep - take your Land Rover anywhere, we'll come wench it out if it gets stuck!
Chevrolet -....what is it? Something for everyone, but no one in particular? Or "economy Buick"? How does one capitalize on that sort of branding?

So yes, branding does matter and done well matters quite a lot.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Originally Posted by stevepow

Porsche - sports car, you've seen us on the track - often.
Toyota - reliability
Mercedes Benz - German luxury and engineering
Hyundai - value
Jeep - take your Land Rover anywhere, we'll come wench it out if it gets stuck!
Chevrolet -....what is it? Something for everyone, but no one in particular? Or "economy Buick"? How does one capitalize on that sort of branding?
Nicely summarized. I suppose the same argument could be made for someone searching for an "appliance" to drive to and fro, that's it.

I largely agree with most of the comments and I posed the original question as a slice of introspection since there are clearly other cars that will compete or out-compete dollar-for-dollar my 911. I have definitely learned and appreciated the value of the Porsche engineering.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:39 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by JT997
I do think that brand matters, in many of the ways everyone has stated so far, but also because of the brand's history. [...] As a designer myself, I respect what their designers and engineers do, and I feel I have a truly great piece of machinery, and quite possibly automotive history. Porsche has shown me that they know how to make a car. The same can't be said for a smaller, or younger upstart company.

Either that's how I really feel, or Porsche's brand marketing has really brainwashed me.
It's certainly how I feel as well and for the same reason. We both know how much the corporate culture affects what a designer can accomplish, and the Porsche reputation for engineering is not just marketing. Most people know they've always been the center of engineering for German cars of all makes, but they also do automotive consulting worldwide. When you hire the top engineers and give them a setting that expects and demands top quality work, it generates the results you'd hope for.

The trick is not to lose the culture. When that happens, the brand staggers on until it stumbles into a grave.

Gary

Old 04-05-2011, 08:01 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by simsgw
It's certainly how I feel as well and for the same reason. We both know how much the corporate culture affects what a designer can accomplish, and the Porsche reputation for engineering is not just marketing. Most people know they've always been the center of engineering for German cars of all makes, but they also do automotive consulting worldwide. When you hire the top engineers and give them a setting that expects and demands top quality work, it generates the results you'd hope for.

The trick is not to lose the culture. When that happens, the brand staggers on until it stumbles into a grave.

Gary
Porsche has also been lately very good at pushing the price points not only in there niche market but also in other markets. I feel that the halo cars and great marketing push Porsche into more of a prestigious brand than other luxury brands like MB or BMW. That being said to own a Porsche you have to not mind paying a premium, yes the cars are of utmost quality but you also pay for that!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does Brand Matter Anymore?