997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

About to pull the trigger on my first 911. Need last minute help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 03:10 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Not sure about tejoe's neck of the woods but you couldn't buy that car in my neck of the woods for anywhere near $ 41 K. If you have a Porsche dealer do the PPI they will check all that needs to be checked. CarFax is BS except for the number of owners. Get whatever repair records the owner has. If you're getting all the books and all three keys that's an indication the car wasn't a repo or a wholesaled vehicle. ( I have never sold nor purchased a car that didn't have all the keys and books.) Mileage for a 5+ year old car is about right. If it's the car you want and it checks out OK buy it and enjoy it. Too many opinions on sites like this one to make anything more than an informed decision and in the end it's your money and your decision. As for an extended warrantee, that shouldn't be too hard to get for a car with only 35 K miles on it. You can search this site, and others, for opinions in that department as well.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:18 PM
mihink is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by LiquidLobotomy
Sounds like a fair price, and a lot of car for the money. Others can chime in better than me on an after-market warranty. Good job setting up a thorough PPI; if the dealer truly "mirrors" the cpo process, then they'll confirm the lack of accident damage.

For some reason, it seems there are big differences in price between 05s and 08s, even though the models are essentially the same. I've had my 07 C2 for a couple of weeks now and paid $10k higher than your deal, but it's a year newer with a third of the mileage and 2-year CPO coverage.

Good luck with the transaction and let us know how it goes. Very exciting, isn't it!?
That's a good deal, especially for low mileage car.
The PPI is scheduled for Friday..eagerly anticipating the results. If ANY red flags show up...I'll look at a local '07 C2 this weekend which looks nice based on description/pics/etc.
Wish me luck fellas!

Last edited by mihink; 04-06-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Dadio
Not sure about tejoe's neck of the woods but you couldn't buy that car in my neck of the woods for anywhere near $ 41 K. If you have a Porsche dealer do the PPI they will check all that needs to be checked. CarFax is BS except for the number of owners. Get whatever repair records the owner has. If you're getting all the books and all three keys that's an indication the car wasn't a repo or a wholesaled vehicle. ( I have never sold nor purchased a car that didn't have all the keys and books.) Mileage for a 5+ year old car is about right. If it's the car you want and it checks out OK buy it and enjoy it. Too many opinions on sites like this one to make anything more than an informed decision and in the end it's your money and your decision. As for an extended warrantee, that shouldn't be too hard to get for a car with only 35 K miles on it. You can search this site, and others, for opinions in that department as well.
Everyone is entitled to their opinions..but the prices really are all over the place, maybe the prices differ based on location. I saw Texas and Midwest/Southern cars tend to be lower priced than the 2 coasts. No official data to support, but based on my research that's what I felt.
I did call a LOT of Porsche dealers..they really DO NOT bargain much, almost everyone calling it "sportscar season" so no budging on price.

The car does have 2 keys (should it have 3 keys??) and all the books and includes the receipt for the latest 30K service done from the dealer. The owner was very upfront with me, however I insisted on a PPI and he agreed without hesitation.

Time will tell if this is MY car

Old 04-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by SerGeam
I was very excited to buy my first Porsche, and I was looking into the 997 C2S. Now that I read all the RMS and IMS issues I don't know what to do. I've been dreaming about owning a Porsche since I was a child.

I might just go for an M3 or S4... But I will never get away from that "What if..." feeling.
Buy a CPO one and don't worry about it. You have to remember, most people join forums for the first time b/c they have issues. Those people who has issues are usually more vocal. You are not going to see, "I love my Porsche" threads everyday. it doesn't work that way. I had RMS/transmission leaks that was fixed under CPO warranty, not a big deal. I still love my Porsche.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:37 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
To mihink:

First, I respect your thoughts, concerns, and diligence - and hope that you get what you want at the price YOU are comfortable with regardless of what all of us "smart guys" write.

Since I'm not in the market I don't spend time looking at prices very often, but out of curiosity I just spent a few minutes looking at 2006's.

ChicagoMotorCars, which has an excellent reputation, has a 2006 C2S with 41,000 miles, original sticker $100,375, asking $46,800. There is another C2S, also pretty well loaded and with 26,000 miles, in Farminton Ct. asking $45,960. Both of these, when new, would have commanded $18-23,000 more than the base C2.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by tejoe
To mihink:

First, I respect your thoughts, concerns, and diligence - and hope that you get what you want at the price YOU are comfortable with regardless of what all of us "smart guys" write.

Since I'm not in the market I don't spend time looking at prices very often, but out of curiosity I just spent a few minutes looking at 2006's.

ChicagoMotorCars, which has an excellent reputation, has a 2006 C2S with 41,000 miles, original sticker $100,375, asking $46,800. There is another C2S, also pretty well loaded and with 26,000 miles, in Farminton Ct. asking $45,960. Both of these, when new, would have commanded $18-23,000 more than the base C2.
Thanks for looking for me...
The Chicago car is Automatic (do not want).
The Connecticut car was researched.. it was involved in an accident as noted on Carfax, I taked to the seller...apparently 3 body panels were replaced/repainted (do not want this car as resale will be terrible if there already is an accident llisted on Carfax)

Old 04-06-2011, 06:06 PM
SerGeam is infamous around these parts
@ Mihink - Sorry for derailing from the subject of your Thread, but it is a hot topic for me !

@ Ynot,

I am not going to extrapolate the IMS and RMS incidents because it is naive to do so. The internet is packed with bad feedback, whereas good feedback remains under the shape of a great smile on the face of the Porsche driver that is enjoying his machine.

While I can not afford a new 997, i will certainly stay away from 2005 and 2006 997. I am just thinking of waiting a bit more for the new model to come out so that 997.2 prices would decrease a bit.

I have read various mechanical perspectives saying that the 3.8 is just a 3.6 bored out and that makes it more prone to failures. I would like the C2S, but if the 3.6 is more reliable I would get that. I just don't know what to believe anymore.

I know Porsches are vulnerable to oil leakages, I've read numerous magazines and reviews. I wouldn't have a problem dumping 1L of oil every 5k kilometers, if it is designed to do so.

I understand that the probability of running into an RMS / IMS failure is lower if you drive the car on a daily basis (I have no clue how true that is). If an analogy holds with a wet sump engine, I would make sense. (A certain type of acid forms on the oil pan of a wet sump engine if not driven for a while, if started after a long storage time it is recommended to drive at least 50km to burn it all). That's what I was told by someone that used to race at Nurburgring.

I remember my first car was a 1999 Chrysler Intrepid which had enormous engine failures on the 2.7 L engine (bad oil circulation system, running petrol based oil which decomposes at lower temperatures resulted is oil sludge). I ran synthetic, changed every 7500 km and never had a problem with it. So it would not be the first time living with a fear of an engine failure ! But then again, swapping an intrepid engine is one thing, swapping a Porsche engine after paying 60k for the car...

Thanks again for your thoughts and recommendations !

Last edited by SerGeam; 04-06-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:34 PM
SerGeam is infamous around these parts
Is the IMS gone on the 997.2? But that I heard has issues with Carbon built up :|

Last edited by SerGeam; 04-06-2011 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:57 PM
BMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond reputeBMiller33 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SerGeam
I was very excited to buy my first Porsche, and I was looking into the 997 C2S. Now that I read all the RMS and IMS issues I don't know what to do. I've been dreaming about owning a Porsche since I was a child.

I might just go for an M3 or S4... But I will never get away from that "What if..." feeling.
That my friend would be your loss. Quit sweating it, do your research, and buy the car you want. A little more IMS info here that may help you sleep better at night.

http://www.lnengineering.com/ims.html

Last edited by BMiller33; 04-07-2011 at 08:04 AM. Reason: grammar hack
Old 04-06-2011, 09:41 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mihink
I had a Cayman S that was unfortunately totaled in a head on with Bambie...so now in the market for a Carrera

Found an '06 C2 with 19" wheels/Bose/heated seats/bi-xenon/6MT/autodim mirrors/wheel spacers/stainless steel exhaust/CD cahnger/a bunch of other little stuff with 35K miles, No Navi or power seats (which I don't care about). Got him down to $41000. 2 owner car. No OEM warranty left.
it would be good deal if car had CPO warranty left. if you know of a very good reputable local porsche shop - take car to them and let them look at it. all wearable items must be (at least empirically) checked - clutch, condition of transmission (syncros), check if throttle body is reasonably clean inside, when you buy a car with no warranty it needs a bit more attention to details.
overall if car is good - just get it and enjoy it.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Unhappy UPDATE: PPI Completed..

Just got a call from the P-car dealer, PPI done. Here is the result:

THE BAD:
1. Front bumper(both sides), left quarter panel, hood have been repainted or replaced.
2. Front brakes only 20%, rears 30% - need replaced
3. Brake fluid - black, needs flushed
4. Headlight washers not working with leaks under the car - needs replaced or connections checked, requires removal of front bumper to do
5. All 4 tires at 4-5mm, will need replacement soon (about 3-4K miles left)
6. All 4 wheels have been refinished
7. Cigarette lighter not working, possibly bad fuse
8. Lots of paint chips on front bumper

THE GOOD:
1. DME report notes no revs in 4,5,6 only a few in 3, rest are in 2
2. RMS dry - no leaks
3. Car structurally fine - no signs of frame damage
4. All electronics work
5. Service records indicate recent service including oil change/spark plugs at 32K miles
6. Test drive good - no pulling to the sides, no abnormal noise, clutch is tight

Dealer estimates approx. $4000 which includes new tires all around to bring it back to spec or CPO condition

What should I do??? Talked to seller who was 'shocked' at all the needs, states he can have his 'local' mechanic do it cheaper...that worries me, how can I prove it was done correctly?

That was the best $225 I spent for a car, great piece of mind before dropping major coin on someone else's problem...especially for one that looks mint in pics, but has underlying problems.

Selling price before PPI was $41K...it is even worth going after this car or too much of a headache Should I bargain the seller down to $38K (which I doudt he will agree to) for all the upcoming costs??

Help me out fellas.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:31 PM
LiquidLobotomy is infamous around these parts
I'd walk, no make that run, away. What the heck happened to cause repaint/replacement to the front, a side panel AND THE ROOF???

All 4 wheels have been refinished?

Needs work on the brakes?

This car sounds like you described it: someone else's problem. You can do better and there are many, many cars out there with none of these issues.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by LiquidLobotomy
I'd walk, no make that run, away. What the heck happened to cause repaint/replacement to the front, a side panel AND THE ROOF???

All 4 wheels have been refinished?

Needs work on the brakes?

This car sounds like you described it: someone else's problem. You can do better and there are many, many cars out there with none of these issues.
The roof is OK..the hood was replaced or repainted.
You are right..I can get a better car (hopefully).
Anyone selling a good condition '06-07 C2 or CS at reasonable price..you have a willing buyer with $$$ in hand

Old 04-08-2011, 03:49 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
PPI is invaluable as shown by your experience. Keep looking to get the car you deserve, not a frustrating money pit that's going to require extensive servicing. That car was obviously not well taken cared of judging by the extensive bodywork and wheel repair.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !Burg Boxster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mihink
Talked to seller who was 'shocked' at all the needs
Aren't they all...

His 'shock' is telling in it's own right or he was playing dumb as a fox. Even if he was shocked on the repainted areas (it's possible), he should not have been on the maintenance. However, if he truly was, or you think he truly was, then that's an indication of how he didn't maintain the vehicle.

You sir, for that price premium and based on your desires, deserve
a much better vehicle. Keep looking, there are plenty more out there.

Good luck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: About to pull the trigger on my first 911. Need last minute help.