997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Battery is bad - question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 04:31 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
Battery is bad - question

I'm too far from a dealer (35 miles) and my battery won't hold a charge. I read that there are non-OEM batteries that are fine, but my question is about memory. Or, anything else that I need to know if I have someone switch it out for me. If I just have someone unhook the old one and put in a new battery, is there any issues that driving it a bit after won't fix? Anything I need to know? Thank you ahead for your help.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:43 PM
///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute///MJFDDS has a reputation beyond repute
No issues with memory or any function of the car. Just PASM failure at start-up which will clear within a few minutes of driving.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:03 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
No issues with memory or any function of the car. Just PASM failure at start-up which will clear within a few minutes of driving.
PSM failure and you just need to turn the steering wheel a couple of times and maybe reset the windows - check Owner's Manual Index - Battery - Putting Vehicle into Operation. BTW, Walmart MAXX 94R direct fit replacement - about $80 + much better warranty than Porsche

Old 04-05-2011, 05:32 PM
zeplow is infamous around these parts
Just changed mine a few weeks ago and if you plug in your battery tender into the lighter (if you have one) while you make the change, you won't have a single error message.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:44 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by zeplow
Just changed mine a few weeks ago and if you plug in your battery tender into the lighter (if you have one) while you make the change, you won't have a single error message.
Just be careful with the loose battery cables if you're putting power through the lighter outlet.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:38 PM
-Rick- is infamous around these parts-Rick- is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
PSM failure and you just need to turn the steering wheel a couple of times and maybe reset the windows - check Owner's Manual Index - Battery - Putting Vehicle into Operation. BTW, Walmart MAXX 94R direct fit replacement - about $80 + much better warranty than Porsche
Awesome, thanks for that, rep points for you

Old 04-05-2011, 08:57 PM
djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !djantlive Is a GOD !
make sure you have the radio code. or else your radio will be unuseable.

walmart battery works great. cheaper than ones from autoparts store too.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:18 AM
Originally Posted by djantlive
make sure you have the radio code. or else your radio will be unuseable.

walmart battery works great. cheaper than ones from autoparts store too.
No radio codes in a 997.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:35 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ///MJFDDS
...ditto. Autozone or Walmart are among the best batteries at big box locations

Old 04-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
I had to replace the batteries in both the 997 and the 987. I did it the old fashion way and just removed the old one, put in the new one and started the car. I lost none of my settings (seats, radio etc.) and had the obligatory PSM light that goes away in less than a mile.

Best,

matt

Old 04-06-2011, 02:03 PM
michaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud ofmichaeldantep has much to be proud of
I had to get the dealer to come get it (towing is covered). I'm now unsure if it's the battery or the starter. It "seems" that if the car is allowed to cool or is cold, it will start. However, if I drive it for a while and it's hot. Then, I shut it off to say run in the store and come back out to start it, it's dead! It tries to turnover and everything draws down (dash lights etc.) but can't. So, it seems it's either one cell opening up on the battery or the starter. Dealer can't reproduce as of today, so who the heck knows?

Old 04-06-2011, 03:12 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Perhaps you have a bad starter cable - a known problem on cars of your car gen.

Old 04-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by adias
Perhaps you have a bad starter cable - a known problem on cars of your car gen.
When I bought the car 12/2009 and had starting issues, they replaced it, so you're right about it being an issue. However, I hope it hasn't gone bad again. Anyway, hopefully the dealer will figure it out assuming they can replicate the non-starting issue. Of course it started right up for the mechanic.