997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Rod Antenna Option on 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 10:39 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
NO answer for the OP, but here are a a few 'facts' for whatever it's worth.
1) My reception with BOSE is a D-
2) Took it back to the dealer twice, no luck. Second time the service manager (who I like) told me in a friendly joking manner that Porsche is not much concerned about radio reception in their sports cars ( he also said the same thing about air conditioning).
3) Took it to an audio shop; he too said the radio was crap; of course he wanted $1200 to put in a decent one.
4) A couple of years ago on this forum people made fun of resales with rod antennas.
5) I still have a couple of older cars - a 98 and a 2000 and not Porsches - with windshield antennas that work great with both AM and FM.

I guess that I'm lucky that I don't use the 911 for long trips, that I have some decent CDs, and I'd rather listen to the engine anyway.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:26 AM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tejoe
I guess that I'm lucky that I don't use the 911 for long trips, that I have some decent CDs, and I'd rather listen to the engine anyway.
Me too on all those points. On the other hand, I tried my AM reception today. Put it on that seeker function that loads the memories with the strongest stations. I didn't listen long enough to identify the stations by call sign, but a couple of them referenced activities in Los Angeles, which is about 70 air miles away over a mountain range. Likely the broadcast antennas are on top of some of the peaks in that mountain range, but still, the reception was as good as I ever expect from AM on all six (eight? What is it?) stations.

I'd say the AM reception in my Bose is practical even for the remote area where we live. Given the limited use of AM in any case, that's probably the same as saying "practical for all modern purposes."

Gary

Old 05-08-2011, 06:14 PM
vrnkc is infamous around these parts
Picture of AM rod antenna

Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2011, 08:23 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by vrnkc
That works. They didn't just slap something on the fender. It looks nicely integrated and the slant matches the lines of the car. Definitely acceptable for anyone who listens to AM in the area where they own the car.

Gary

Old 05-08-2011, 09:20 PM
cesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by vrnkc
Interesting. I think on the Targa (and I assume the Cab) they put it in the right fender.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by cesmorris
Interesting. I think on the Targa (and I assume the Cab) they put it in the right fender.
It looks like that rod is right where they put the little dorsal fin for satellite reception, so the same wiring harness channels would work. Where do they put the fin on the Targa and Cab?

Gary