997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Broken bolt off CAT. converter. Need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 08:32 AM
JohnAMG is infamous around these parts
Broken bolt off CAT. converter. Need help

I was trying to remove the center muffler by removing the the nuts that are secure to the flange off the cat. converter. Well one of the bolt on the right converter broke off Now, what should I do at this point? Can I remove the broke bolt off the cat. flange? Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

John

Old 04-10-2011, 09:53 AM
I was able to remove the broken bolt. Thank goodness the bolt is pressed fit and I was able to "Moderately" tapped the bolt out. Off to Homedepot I go to find a non-rusting bolt/nut combo.

John

Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
+1, drive the bolt out with a punch and get replacement hardware. If your car is a low mileage garage queen you might get the nuts off. My car had 15000 miles on it and I used PB Blaster 3 times before trying to remove the nuts. The boltd still broke. So, my Tubi cat back will have new stainless bolts and nuts.

Old 04-10-2011, 08:13 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JohnAMG
I was able to remove the broken bolt. Thank goodness the bolt is pressed fit and I was able to "Moderately" tapped the bolt out. Off to Homedepot I go to find a non-rusting bolt/nut combo.

John
I find home depot's selection to be blech. If you can wait, I'd suggest ordering from McMaster-Carr. You can find just about any fastener there. Even nice A286 Stainless ones, super strong and won't rust!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Originally Posted by Alan C.
+1, drive the bolt out with a punch and get replacement hardware. If your car is a low mileage garage queen you might get the nuts off. My car had 15000 miles on it and I used PB Blaster 3 times before trying to remove the nuts. The boltd still broke. So, my Tubi cat back will have new stainless bolts and nuts.
My car went through 2 winter here in south of Buffalo NY, and the bolts and nuts are rusted. I tried to be careful with the second bolt and guess what, it broke too. The one I am dreading to do is the top bolt which is a pain in the *** to get to. How did you unscrew the top bolt in your installation? I used a long 13mm socket with swivel and 6" extension before but it was tough. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

John

Old 03-23-2012, 08:13 PM
RS4-Brian is infamous around these partsRS4-Brian is infamous around these parts
I'm glad I found your post here...I just broke 2 of these bolts off removing mine for the tubi install...guess I'l head to Lowes in the morning and finish her up. Gotta love this site.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:02 PM
MileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the roughMileHigh911 is a jewel in the rough
When I installed my Tubi I had several "stretched" bolts. None broke, but clearly would if used again. No one had them. You can get American sizes at ace hardware, but not metric. The guys at napa advised me to call a tow truck company, as they supposedly have metric nuts and bolts ( weird I thought ). I ended up ordering some from Fastenal. Good luck

Old 03-27-2012, 06:13 PM
redliner2856 is infamous around these parts
Unhappy Bolt size for 2009 porsche 997.2 cat converter

Hi John, I saw your thread about broken cat. converter bolts. I know the nuts are 8mm. in size but since you did this what are the bolt sizes in terms of length, and, I guess they would be 8mm bolts right? Do you just fit these regular bolts through the existing pressed fit bolt holes? Any washers recommended? Sorry this is my first time doing this and am totally frustrated! Anyways sorry to have bothered you, but I know this happened to you and any help would be MUCH appreciated.
Regards, Ron

Old 03-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by redliner2856
Hi John, I saw your thread about broken cat. converter bolts. I know the nuts are 8mm. in size but since you did this what are the bolt sizes in terms of length, and, I guess they would be 8mm bolts right? Do you just fit these regular bolts through the existing pressed fit bolt holes? Any washers recommended? Sorry this is my first time doing this and am totally frustrated! Anyways sorry to have bothered you, but I know this happened to you and any help would be MUCH appreciated.
Regards, Ron
I bought the bolts, nuts and washer from Home Depot. I don't remember the size but I bought slightly longer ones for ease of handling and the diameter is smaller than 8mm so the new bolts can pass through hole. The ones I broke are the 2 on the base of the flange but if I had broke the top one that would be a ***** to tap out. Good luck.

John

Old 03-27-2012, 06:58 PM
redliner2856 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JohnAMG
I bought the bolts, nuts and washer from Home Depot. I don't remember the size but I bought slightly longer ones for ease of handling and the diameter is smaller than 8mm so the new bolts can pass through hole. The ones I broke are the 2 on the base of the flange but if I had broke the top one that would be a ***** to tap out. Good luck.

John
Thanks for your reply! Will try Home Depot also.

Ron