997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Going from 911S to M3..PART II

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 06:35 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Spectro28
Drove a new M3 SMG yesterday, and a used 135i 6M. Felt like the SMG was much less elegant than the PDK, my wife had the same reaction. Loved the 135, great car, and it, or the 1 Series M may be my next car. The inline six was so much smoother than the big 8 - the M3 felt like you were *driving around* the V8, like it was the pivot point and you were aiming the car around it all the time. The 135 felt like a nimble sports car. Now, that said, I was also not enjoying the SMG, and that could've been a big part of the experience.

YMMV,
Marc
If you drove a new M3 yesterday you drove a DCT not an SMG. However, your experience is still the same. The DCT seems to be much improved over the SMG. I currently have a 2007 M5 and love the SMG, although I never use auto mode which is not good.

Last edited by Michael_s; 04-17-2011 at 04:34 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:19 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
A bit of the problem with taking a DCT M3 for a test drive is all the selectable controls. If you don't know how to set them it makes a big difference. You need to set the DCT to level "5" - that is the shift speed. Below 4 or 5 it doesn't blip the throttle for downshifts. At medium throttle, shifts are smooth as glass. Full throttle, the thing can hammer you back in your seats. At medium RPM, the V8 throttle blip is really cool. If you need an auto, it is at least equal to the PDK. Interestingly, with the PDK and the DCT, there have been very few issues. Initially the DCT suffered from some off the line shift lag that was corrected with software. The PDK has the stupid push pull paddles, which can be retrofit or are now available with "BMW style" + right and - left paddles. Good luck with the 1 M - the whole year's run has been presold. The wait list is a long one as well. Too bad, it will be a really fun car.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:36 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Good luck with the 1 M - the whole year's run has been presold.
Every time I see a BMW with a Turbo engine it leaves me with questions of reliability . Maybe it was reading all those posts when the 335i came out in model year 07 as well as the decline of the 7 series . With the 7 , BMW finally de Bangled the styling a little only to face Turbo reliability issues .

I happen to love Turbo cars . I hope BMW does well with the 1M .
I still feel the Cayman R will blow it away and the 1 series is quite small inside .

Old 04-17-2011, 06:13 AM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Well fellas I drove a 2011 550i M package yesterday with the 8sp auto sport tranny and was very impressed. I think this car will give me best of all worlds, luxury (comfort) performance (sporty) and convenience (roomy and spacey). The M pakcage front and rear fascias and side skirts really make a big difference in the look of the car. Especially in white where you can see all the lines and details. And the oyster/black two-tone interior is a real looker. Might have a winner. Will test drive the Panamara 4S one more time before deciding. The lay out of the 4S i like much better but surprised at the color combos. No good two-tones like you can get in the 911. Except changing the dash color(think red and blue) all colors are pretty monotone..a little disappointing.