997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Going from 911S to M3..PART II

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 12:59 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Going from 911S to M3..PART II

Well fellas, could really use your advice now...the M3 was real nice but like others said the 6sp was OK... I also had to lean a bit forward to shift...something that could become annoying after a while. On way home decided to test drive a Panamar 4S...well boy was I impressed. At first didn't like the look of the car but pictures do it no justice. Looks MUCH nicer in person. It is also pretty quick for a big car....comparable to the 550i sport BUT...big price difference. A 2011 550i with M sport package goes for @ 975 month typical 36mo/10k year. A panamara 4S close to 1,700 for same terms. Thoughts??

Old 04-10-2011, 01:02 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
wow, those are all really very very different cars.
Can't say that I found any issues with the driving position in the M3....

The other two cars you mentioned are 2.5 ton beasts. They are good cars, but are 180 degrees out of phase with the 911.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:56 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
You are going through the exact same dilemma I did but I didn't own a Porsche but rather an M5 and I started at BMW and ended up at Porsche. The 6speed in the M3 was not my favorite and I was addiment on a manual tranny.

So this is what happened to me not in any specific order:

- Sold M5 - I could not stand the paddle shifting stuff.
- Tested an M3 - I just didn't love it, maybe too similar to the wife's 135 and the shifter in the 1er was actually better.
- Tried an '08 M6 in 6speed but wanted a 2010 and they were not making them anymore - I was not going back to the old Idrive.
- Tested the 550 in 6 speed but I really wanted a more sporty package and it was the just the beginning of production - hoping the new ///M5 ends up in manual (looks like it will).
- Then went over to Porsche and while I loved the Panamera - even the looks don't bother me - I have to have a manual car.
- Tested a 911 Cab S and then my buddy was returning is '05 Carrera S and I saw the my child hood dream - Targa4S in the show room and pulled the trigger.

You really can't directly compare a Panamera to a 550 but definitely both amazing rides and definitely the best looking sedans on the road. I think the Panamera may drive a little better but the 550 is jammed with technology and has a much better value offering at the price point. If the Panamera came in a 6speed I would be brutally torn between the two and with the wife getting a Cayenne to replace her 1er later in the year would probably go BMW just to have something different.

Last edited by uhn2000; 04-10-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:07 PM
KK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud ofKK Moto has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by JohnM
wow, those are all really very very different cars.
Yep....

Old 04-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
i strongly suggest you try out a 6speed manual M5

Old 04-10-2011, 09:16 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 07speed
Well fellas, could really use your advice now...the M3 was real nice but like others said the 6sp was OK... I also had to lean a bit forward to shift...something that could become annoying after a while. On way home decided to test drive a Panamar 4S...well boy was I impressed. At first didn't like the look of the car but pictures do it no justice. Looks MUCH nicer in person. It is also pretty quick for a big car....comparable to the 550i sport BUT...big price difference. A 2011 550i with M sport package goes for @ 975 month typical 36mo/10k year. A panamara 4S close to 1,700 for same terms. Thoughts??
If you need a sedan for business/family, nothing beats a Panamera. If you already have a sports car even the Panamera V6 will do - better balanced, actually, and no slouch.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:43 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
There are two topics : 1) The car and 2) The lease price . I'll comment on both.

1) The car -- I drove a 4S and I have an M3 . The Panamera is by far the better car . The 550 does not appeal to me at all . It just isn't great at anything wheras the M3 is great for what it offers and so is the Panamera .
The M3 offers a lot though . Since it has this cousin like appearance to the other 3 series cars no one bothers it at a mall or movies or if parked outdoors overnight . A Panamera 4S on the other hand calls a bit more attention .
As for the M3 shifting .. I did get accustomed to it but I agree with you . It's not ideal.

2) The Lease -- BMW offers one of the best leases I have seen and Porsche offers one of the worst . That alone makes a leased Porsche a dealbreaker . If you lease because you feel that a business vehicle gets a break .. compare those same numbers if you kept a purchased car for 6 years rather than handed it back .

My vote goes to buying the Panamera 4S or leasing the M3 .

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-10-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:49 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Go for the V6 Panamera 4.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:03 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by adias
Go for the V6 Panamera 4.
It still will price high to lease and coming out of a 997.2S the extra Hp is going to be missed . Personally .. at 1700 a month to lease a 4S (only to have no equity and no car after 3 years) .. why not just go all out and buy a Panamera Turbo and keep it 6 years ?

1700 X 72 months = 122K . That's almost what a modestly equipped , discounted , Panamera Turbo costs . If he kept the car 6 years he is left holding a car worth about 65K compared to leasing more cars and having zero.

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-11-2011 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:47 PM
Larry: I was not commenting on financing. I think that the V6 is plenty peppy and more balanced, especially if one also owns a sports car.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by adias
Larry: I was not commenting on financing. I think that the V6 is plenty peppy and more balanced, especially if one also owns a sports car.
Price is and has been part of a his decision making process .
The fact that a Pana 4S costs almost double to lease over a 550 sport plays a role. The difference is so huge it can't be ignored .

If he absolutely MUST lease .. BMW is the route ( using his pricing on the thread) .. and his first chooice the M3 .. trumps everything .

Old 04-11-2011, 07:27 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Price is and has been part of a his decision making process .
The fact that a Pana 4S costs almost double to lease over a 550 sport plays a role. The difference is so huge it can't be ignored .

If he absolutely MUST lease .. BMW is the route ( using his pricing on the thread) .. and his first chooice the M3 .. trumps everything .
Good points... the biggest decision getting out of the 911S is the need for more room...my next car HAS to be a 4-door (or a 2 dr coupe with a decent size trunk). The 550i with M package and carbon fiber rear deck lid spoiler is a real looker but at the ned of the day still a 5 series with TONS on the road. The 4S is more exclusive but like Larry said, I am tired of throwing away tons of money every year on lease cars. Saw a usd M6 (big trunk), 6sp but had 29k miles..think it's too much??

Old 04-11-2011, 07:38 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 07speed
Good points... the biggest decision getting out of the 911S is the need for more room...my next car HAS to be a 4-door (or a 2 dr coupe with a decent size trunk). The 550i with M package and carbon fiber rear deck lid spoiler is a real looker but at the ned of the day still a 5 series with TONS on the road. The 4S is more exclusive but like Larry said, I am tired of throwing away tons of money every year on lease cars. Saw a usd M6 (big trunk), 6sp but had 29k miles..think it's too much??
lol.. last time i checked, M6 was a beast with SMG () , only 2 doors.. and hardly any back seat space..

i know u said 2 door with big trunk is ok but..

stay focused, buddy

Old 04-11-2011, 07:48 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yrralis1

2) The Lease -- BMW offers one of the best leases I have seen and Porsche offers one of the worst . That alone makes a leased Porsche a dealbreaker . If you lease because you feel that a business vehicle gets a break .. compare those same numbers if you kept a purchased car for 6 years rather than handed it back .
I agree w/ Larry,

Along with the crappy $ rates for P-car leases, they usually only alow for like 5k miles per year

Old 04-11-2011, 08:49 PM
uhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant futureuhn2000 has a brilliant future
M6 with 26k is acceptable, the truck is large. If your buying from a dealer might be able to extend the warranty. Although one of my favourites, the 5er is not an exclusive car - its BMWs highest profit vehicle line and they are going to make and sell as many as the market demands. I heard there is even a wait list on certain models. Dunno man its a tough call. Finance with owners choice (balloon)?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Going from 911S to M3..PART II