997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2007 911 Turbo to 2005 911 C2S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 10:32 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
2007 911 Turbo to 2005 911 C2S

Sorry to partially re-thread, but recently I posted about my purchasing experience of a launch edition 2005 911 C2S (sport chrono, full leather, sport seats, sport chrono, etc.). After a week of ownership I have to say on some fronts the C2S is funner to drive. The exhaust note is certainly better than the turbo and the car just seems more nimble all around. I do miss the wooosh of the turbos and the explosive acceleration which was essentially unmatched in my region regarding other cars I see on the road. However, as a way to get back into the P-car fold I have to admit I am having a blast, and the C2S is by no means a slouch. I had cross shopped a brand new M3 coupe and my butt dyno feels like the 911 gives up nothing on acceleration despite being down 60 horses.

The car is essentially flawless with 13k miles, excellently optioned, and incidentally had a k40 calibre radar/laser detector with the jammer/shifter option installed by the previous owner. I know there has been a lot of bad rap regarding this system but it has already saved me one ticket in the week of driving. Overall I am extremely happy to be back in the flock and although overall I do miss my old chubby Turbo, the C2S goes very far down the road of consolation and brings a smile back to my face after 7 months of purgatory spent behind the wheel of a 2010 Toyota 4Runner (although she will still get winter duty).

-Getz

Old 04-14-2011, 10:48 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I can relate . I have all three cars mentioned in your post and I also had the launch car you are driving now.

I actually like having them all . Even though I would be happy with any one of them alone having all three offers this sense of automotive completeness .

Old 04-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Sharkys is infamous around these parts
Congratulations on the 05 C2S Launch Edition purchase from another 05 C2S Launch car owner. On the street, how much do you really give up compared to the Turbo when it comes to HP? I love HP, but I love NA engines more.

Old 04-14-2011, 11:22 PM
getz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud ofgetz has much to be proud of
Pretty big difference between the two cars in city driving. For an NA car the C2S does really well at moderate RPMs in regards to torque, but the turbo was an absolute beast when spooled up. Modulating the turbos acceleration was a lot like turning on and off a fire hose (pretty difficult to get the stream "just right"). In my limited time in the C2S I notice the car really tends to wake up past 4k rpms and emits a very pleasurable wail in the 7k range. I find myself goosing it for fun every time I hit a tunnel.

As far as the power difference (120 horse and more impressively almost 200 ft/lbs with overboost), if you every find yourself next to a Turbo at a stop light and he is giving you the look......just let him go bye.

Thanks for the welcome, and it feels great to get back behind the wheel of Porsche.

Last edited by getz; 04-14-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:38 PM
Sharkys is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the comparison. I think I would prefer the GT3 or GTS but HP is HP and there is no substitute. I leave racing for the track (but that was not the case back in HS or even College), but street races almost always start out tentatively on the first light and sometimes the only light. That said, if a turbo came alongside, my only chance would be to clutch like there was no tomorrow and let off midway through 2nd congrats again!

Old 04-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Originally Posted by Sharkys
Thanks for the comparison. I think I would prefer the GT3 or GTS but HP is HP and there is no substitute. I leave racing for the track (but that was not the case back in HS or even College), but street races almost always start out tentatively on the first light and sometimes the only light. That said, if a turbo came alongside, my only chance would be to clutch like there was no tomorrow and let off midway through 2nd congrats again!
Not a big street racer myself as well (actually an ER doc and see on occasion the repercussions), however I did enjoy the fact that I could essentially pass anyone anytime I wanted in that car. Although I doubt where I live that I will notice much of a difference in that regard. Launching that turbo with awd was like getting flung off a aircraft carrier via one of the takeoff assist slingshots they use. It was pretty awe inspiring. I will hopefully enjoy the C2S for 5 years as I promised myself that when I turn 40 I am going to trade it in on a new turbo. It is so nice to see others who suffer from the same irrational money losing compulsive disease known as auto enthusiasm.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:35 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Modulating the turbos acceleration was a lot like turning on and off a fire hose (pretty difficult to get the stream "just right").
The lack of precision in the 997.1 Turbo changed dramatically with modifications. I noticed it almost intantly diminish with software, intercoolers , intake , and exhaust but it wasn't until I upgraded the turbos and added a race exhaust that the car became nearly as precise as a normally aspirated car but with a tremendously greater punch .

From a standstill a hard pedal push can throw the driver back so hard . If not seated correctly a driver might get whiplash.

The real strength of the car is when rolling . Most of the modded Turbo contests target that 30-130 range and I think they are spot on calling it the sweet spot for the car . A modded 997tt can embarrass a lot of cars in that range . another thing about the highly modded car is that it does not let off steam at the top end of the gear . It basically slams the driver into the next gear .

The 997S (even with mods) can't do this but what it does do is offer a lighter feel and more front end clearance for practical daily street driving . I also like the suspension more in the lighter 997s car and even changing the entire suspension in the Turbo can make it better but its still a heavier AWD car.
The 997S is a very well rounded car and that launch 05 car has a nice option configuration. It does give you all that you really need .

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-15-2011 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:28 AM
omes is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by getz
It is so nice to see others who suffer from the same irrational money losing compulsive disease known as auto enthusiasm.

Thanks for the personal acknowledgement!

Old 04-15-2011, 08:20 PM
docfink is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by getz
Sorry to partially re-thread, but recently I posted about my purchasing experience of a launch edition 2005 911 C2S (sport chrono, full leather, sport seats, sport chrono, etc.). After a week of ownership I have to say on some fronts the C2S is funner to drive. The exhaust note is certainly better than the turbo and the car just seems more nimble all around. I do miss the wooosh of the turbos and the explosive acceleration which was essentially unmatched in my region regarding other cars I see on the road. However, as a way to get back into the P-car fold I have to admit I am having a blast, and the C2S is by no means a slouch. I had cross shopped a brand new M3 coupe and my butt dyno feels like the 911 gives up nothing on acceleration despite being down 60 horses.

The car is essentially flawless with 13k miles, excellently optioned, and incidentally had a k40 calibre radar/laser detector with the jammer/shifter option installed by the previous owner. I know there has been a lot of bad rap regarding this system but it has already saved me one ticket in the week of driving. Overall I am extremely happy to be back in the flock and although overall I do miss my old chubby Turbo, the C2S goes very far down the road of consolation and brings a smile back to my face after 7 months of purgatory spent behind the wheel of a 2010 Toyota 4Runner (although she will still get winter duty).

-Getz
Hey doc,
May I ask why you let go of the turbo?

Old 04-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
One might reasonably consider a modified VF-E supercharger to provide the HP and TQ without the Turbo bloat, lag, or need for precise spooling.

Of course, adding FI to a non-FI block is not for the feint of heart. However, mine has been flawless over 18 months and 15k miles of street and track driving.

The benefit of an SC is that the power curve is perfectly linear, no whiplash, just plenty all the way through the RPM band. The .bmp file shows power at the wheels to be 441...
CATTMAN

Attached Images  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
HP TQ.bmp (150.1 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by Cattman; 04-15-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by docfink
Hey doc,
May I ask why you let go of the turbo?
Interesting question. I call it a momentary lapse of reason. My wife gave birth to our 3rd child (unexpectedly conceived while on an IUD ) and I thought it was time to play the grown up responsible dad role, and figured the Turbo was a superfluous expense. WORST DECISION EVER.

I traded it in on a Toyota 4runner (luckily for the same price I had purchased it for a year earlier). After 9 months of driving the 4Runner, I begged and begged and begged my wife until she finally acquiesced. She isn't the Turbo, but she is still a kick in the pants. What kills me is that I searched for almost a year looking for that Turbo, and finally found the perfect one owner 8000 mile example with an MSRP of 156k in 2007. I bought her for 86 grand at the time so got a very good deal, but I in all honesty still wish I had her. Also as part of the deal to get the C2S I had to buy my wife a minivan. Well I guess I at least have a solid winter car in the 4runner.

No regrets though as I think at the price point I got into the C2S it should hold pretty good value over the next 5 years, and when payed off represent a nice down payment on another Turbo.

PS
Very jealous of your X51 power kit.

Last edited by getz; 04-15-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Originally Posted by Cattman
One might reasonably consider a modified VF-E supercharger to provide the HP and TQ without the Turbo bloat, lag, or need for precise spooling.

Of course, adding FI to a non-FI block is not for the feint of heart. However, mine has been flawless over 18 months and 15k miles of street and track driving.

The benefit of an SC is that the power curve is perfectly linear, no whiplash, just plenty all the way through the RPM band. The .bmp file shows power at the wheels to be 441...
CATTMAN
I was captivated by your build read at the time of its undertaking. I think it is a great option, but agree with you in the need for intestinal fortitude. I am already somewhat hesitant owning a 2005 with its dual roller IMS design. I would certainly fret over the SC system. But heck you have one hell of a fast ride and the exhaust note must sound wicked.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:50 PM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I actually like having them all . Even though I would be happy with any one of them alone having all three offers this sense of automotive completeness .
Larry, your collection is not complete without a GT3, and you know it.

Congrats to Getz on C2S. It is more than enough car for fun and daily use.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:29 PM
teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !teflon_jones Is a GOD !
Congrats on the car!!!

But I don't know how you could ever go Turbo to NA. So much more power and so much more capable.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:31 AM
Originally Posted by teflon_jones
Congrats on the car!!!

But I don't know how you could ever go Turbo to NA. So much more power and so much more capable.

Tough choice, although the C2S was about 35 grand cheaper. Given my druthers I would stay in a turbo, but no regrets with C2S and instead of driving a 12 year old honda civic in the snow I now have a brand new 4Runner Limited to pull snow duty as well as fill in when I need to haul all 3 kids at once.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2007 911 Turbo to 2005 911 C2S