997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Is Consumer Report right on 997s problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 04:26 PM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Interestingly if you follow their reports back by year the "least reliable" model year changes. I think the problem is with the low #'s. Also remember they are comparing a given model year to all other cars of that year, not to last years car. Overall "average" arent they? As always, buy the the newest Porsche you can afford.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:49 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Ironically, CR is the reason I looked at a Porsche in '09 when I got mine - wasn't even something I was thinking about until I sorted their ratings by top score and saw the Carrera at the top - and got reminded that I always wanted one. They have more competition now in '11, but still lead (just above the Corvette) with very high overall scores: 96/100.

At the time I figured even if it wasn't "all that", how bad could it be...

Old 04-18-2011, 06:29 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Reliability was a factor for me, I got a 2007 .

Actually, the wife likes CR so we have a subscription. I've tracked this pretty closely. The 2007 was the most reliable, then one year it wasn't anymore. Then it became reliable again! Seems that the references they have on 911s allow the reporting to become skewed easily. My fellow board members with reliable histories are not an especially good sampling either. That said, the 997 reputation and the reputation for Porsche in general has been very good. As mentioned before the differences between 2006 and 2008 are negligible; there shouldn't be any difference in the reliability of those years.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:48 PM
cbzzoom is infamous around these parts
It's nonsense.

For one thing the cars from 2006-08 are basically identical, so to say one year is good and another is not shows their data is bad.

But generally Consumer Reports just has a major sample size problem with Porsche.

They have in the past rated the 911 and Boxster extremely high (much higher than we know they deserve) due to sample size problems; they completely missed the pre-2006 reliability problems and proclaimed those cars "best in class". Now they seem to be rating some years low due to sample size problems.

Michael Karesh can rant about this issue forever :

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...fficient-data/

Old 04-18-2011, 07:56 PM
coco0045 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cbzzoom
It's nonsense.

For one thing the cars from 2006-08 are basically identical, so to say one year is good and another is not shows their data is bad.

But generally Consumer Reports just has a major sample size problem with Porsche.

They have in the past rated the 911 and Boxster extremely high (much higher than we know they deserve) due to sample size problems; they completely missed the pre-2006 reliability problems and proclaimed those cars "best in class". Now they seem to be rating some years low due to sample size problems.

Michael Karesh can rant about this issue forever :

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...fficient-data/
Thank you Gary and all for the feedbacks. It's definitely more reassuring hearing from actual owners. I was deeply bothered since I know Porsche is a finely built machine (I have 99 Boxster and wife 11' Cayenne--all without much problems..well the 11' is too new to tell..knock on wood). I'm relieved now.
CBZZ just made a comment saying, "they completely missed the pre-2006 reliability problems." What's wrong with the 2005 then? Is there a difference between the 05 vs. 06-08 models then?

Old 04-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Originally Posted by coco0045
CBZZ just made a comment saying, "they completely missed the pre-2006 reliability problems." What's wrong with the 2005 then? Is there a difference between the 05 vs. 06-08 models then?
Sorry I didn't mean to imply there was anything specific wrong with 2005. We were just talking about the reliability of 2006-08 models so I was separating that range from the years that came before.

As for the general "problem years" in the past - it appears you had one! (a 99 boxster) and it was fine, which goes to show that problem years doesn't mean all the cars or bad or even a majority.

If you want to read about the M96 problems see the Excellence buyers guide or Pelican summary :

http://www.excellence-mag.com/resour...ide/1035392063

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...e_Failures.htm

Old 04-18-2011, 09:04 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cbzzoom
If you want to read about the M96 problems see the Excellence buyers guide or Pelican summary :

http://www.excellence-mag.com/resour...ide/1035392063
Wow. You can even read about the 997 Boxster!

Sorry, couldn't resist poking fun at their site editing mistake. I agree with all you said.

Gary

Old 04-18-2011, 09:15 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I have almost 16000 miles on my on my 09 2S with zero issues.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:02 AM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Like Alan C, I have 14K miles on a 2009 C2s, and it has been trouble free! My last car was an M3, and I thought it was very reliable too. But, I did look through my list of dealership receipts, and noted that I had 3 problems with the M by 14K miles. None major, except the engine rebuild recall.
The 2009 I have now has only some small rattles and some iPod interface glitches. Otherwise, I have been staying away from the dealer! (except oil changes)
Consumer reports is an OK guide for reliability, but is not scientific. It is self reported. In that, the owners subjective biases can become evident. The idea is, if enough people fill out the survey, it minimizes the subjectivity. I look at CR as just one facet of my buying decision. Then I look at forums like this. It is the reason I don't have an Evora right now!

Old 04-19-2011, 08:34 AM
coco0045 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for clarifying the models. These postive comments are great! Wow..Evora really? I was actually looking into that car as well. The inability to see out the back turned me off right away. I stopped my research as I walked out of the dealer's showroom. Owners aren't happy with the Evora? I guess I can see why.
Oh last silly question, specially is there a differences between 05 and 08 models (exterior, interior & engine wise)?

Old 04-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by coco0045
Evora really? I was actually looking into that car as well. The inability to see out the back turned me off right away. I stopped my research as I walked out of the dealer's showroom. Owners aren't happy with the Evora? I guess I can see why.
Apparently the Evoras have absolutely terrible build quality. As in, don't park it outside when it might rain because you can't be confident it will keep water out. Warping dashboards, plastic popping off, etc.

I don't believe in anecdotal data points, but I have a 2006 997 and it's been perfect. 45k miles and it feels as strong as ever.

Oh last silly question, specially is there a differences between 05 and 08 models (exterior, interior & engine wise)?
06-08 is nearly identical, some Porsche lawyer would have to point out the fine points that are different (maybe revised PCM ?)

05 has a bunch of little differences; certainly the IMS, maybe also the coolant tank/cap ? some other things. I suggest searching to find old threads on this.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:23 PM
0luke1 is infamous around these parts
I've put 8K on my 2007 since buying it in October. Not a single problem. Much sturdier and trouble free than my 996. I won't bore you with the mechanical and service department tragedy that was my Caddy STS-V.

Get a CPO car if you're really worried. My dealer is a little tough on the cost items (like oil changes) but makes up for it with service. I never wait for anything.