997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Is Consumer Report right on 997s problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 02:19 AM
coco0045 is infamous around these parts
Is Consumer Report right on 997s problems?

I saw on CR that 2006 997s had major Engine & Electrical problems (black circles) while the 2008 had bad ratings for the Electrical system. In their review of the 2009, CR listed Engine cooling and Minor transmission as worrisome problems. Interestingly, the 2007 was by far the best year (all excellent ratings). So my questions is--as owners do you agree?

I'm looking to get a 997 soon but this limits my choice to only 2007. I've always trusted CR ratings, but looking around I see many happy 997 owners even among the "bad" years. I'm emotionally conflicted by this. Please shed some light.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:31 AM
Tarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond reputeTarek307 has a reputation beyond repute
I dont have a 997 (so i should probably not say anything) but i'd suggest maybe doing a search on google, you may find some good forum posts, from all over the world regarding this

Good luck with your car search, i'm in Scottsdale as well..ended up finding mine in San Francisco, flying out there and driving her back!

Old 04-18-2011, 04:40 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
I am guessing the ratings for the 2009 and 2010 are average due to early PDK issues and the new fuel system. For the earlier mdels, I am guessing the enine issues are with teh RMS anf IMS. In addition, the PCM has been a problem area for the model from what I have read. I would view the 2007 and 20o8 as almost identical with the same engine improvements/updates. The only difference I know of is that the 2008 came with "extended nav" included when ordering nav.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:43 AM
jacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nice
No issues with my 2010 6 speed Carrera after 15,000 miles. These are very well engineered and constructed cars, quite suitable for use as daily drivers.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:45 AM
jacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nice
"Duh, 2009, purchased in 2010" Sorry

Old 04-18-2011, 08:42 AM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
I don't think Consumer Reports is the best source for reliability data on a relatively small production, expensive vehicle like a 911. It's not a Ford or a Camry.
Any reported issues are likely to be disproportionately highlighted.

FWIW, I have had zero issues with my 2006 C2S Cab.
Not with the engine, not with the electrics. And this is my daily driver, as were all my previous 911s.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:11 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
I have no problems at all with my 2008 C2S but it only has ~6000 miles on it.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:28 AM
wwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of lightwwilliams88 is a glorious beacon of light
26000 miles on an 09 C2. No issues other than a flat tire. I'm not sure what Consumer Reports considers cooling systems issues, but I haven't seen any discussion here for 09 and later. Main issue was fuel pump failures on some 09's, PDK glitches, and the ongoing debate about the DFI and soot. Mine does not burn oil, nor do I have a soot issue. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
my 06S has 36k on the clock, incl quite a few track miles and so far [jinx warning, jinx warning] no problems with electrical, RMS or IMS. i did just have the clutch replaced but i chalk that up to a fluke and track time.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:08 AM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
Forgot to mention:
My 06 C2S has 43500 miles on the clock and still on original clutch.
And I am a 'spirited' driver (have the tickets to prove it )

Old 04-18-2011, 10:13 AM
henrysko is infamous around these partshenrysko is infamous around these parts
Of all the places to research reliability of used cars, CR ranks lowest on my scale.

That being said, first hand opinions from actual Owners always carries the most weight.

And mine...bought used 8/09, so in 20 months and 9K miles, amazing and absolutely flawless.

Good luck with your hunt!

Old 04-18-2011, 10:21 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
I would say that info is unreliable.

Reasons:

The 2006 thru 2008 997's were identical. There is no reason that a 2007 would score higher than a 2006 or 2008.

The only major change in the 997 line up is the move to a beefier single ROW IMS bearing after the 05 model year.

So, I would not give those CR ratings much merit.

Jason

Old 04-18-2011, 02:32 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pvanosta
I don't think Consumer Reports is the best source for reliability data on a relatively small production, expensive vehicle like a 911. It's not a Ford or a Camry.

Any reported issues are likely to be disproportionately highlighted.
I agree completely. Moreover, I very much suspect they have relatively fewer readers who own Porsches than among the general population -- and next to none on staff. Just speculating, but it seems likely. That means that what you're reading is essentially a distilled version of what some staff member got from an interview with "a Porsche mechanic" or from a quick trawl through the internet. I seriously doubt they consider that the sincere intent to buy a high-end luxury sports car among their subscribers is high enough to put a priority on researching cars like Aston-Martin, Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Porsche. (Listed in alphabetic order of course, not by importance.) Although they try for objectivity, they are human, less intensively trained in the practices of professional objectivity than scientists, and without the enormous peer pressure created by collective belly laughs at their expense in the formative post-graduate years of a career. In other words, the write-up probably reflects a collective satisfaction in the thought that people who spend all that money on a car (in lieu of World Hunger and what have you) are getting screwed, getting saddled with a machine that isn't even as reliable as a Prius.

I use Consumer Reports on the rare occasion we need a new major appliance. Good people, but human like the rest of us. Their advice on cars is fine when you're sure your purchase priorities match their corporate/editorial view of the world in general and automobiles in particular. For exotic cars... no.

Don't worry about buying any Porsche beyond the normal diligence you'd put into buying a very expensive used car. Check the prices for cars configured the way you hope to have one, and get a local expert to do a pre-purchase inspection. And enjoy it knowing you have one of the finest cars built. Period.

For another specific report, consider our 2009 Carrera S. It was originally sold in 2008 to the first owner. We bought in late 2009 from a dealer north of Los Angeles with 11,300 miles showing. We've driven it for an additional 12,500 miles already.

We live in the "High Desert" of Southern California, which refers to the part of the Mojave Desert that's half a mile or more above sea level, so we have the very high ambient temps of the desert combined with the reduced mass of cooling air flow at this altitude. Those combine to expose the weaknesses in cars.

Air Conditioning: Problem free. Very effective and we never even think about it, which is the strongest possible testimony from desert dwellers.

Tires: Hold their pressure better than any recent car of ours, as determined by a race-grade pressure guage. Specifically, I adjusted the pressure on one occasion after the single time we serviced it because the dealer put the pressures at the "full load" recommendation and we never carry more than the "light load" weight. The second occasion was after a PCA track day when I learned the car balances better with one more pound in the fronts than recommended. For me at least. Otherwise, no adjustment has been required at all. This is a commendation for the quality of factory wheels more than anything.

Oil Consumption: Half a quart in those twelve thousand miles. I bought some of the right oil just in case my peace of mind needs to add a pint when I don't have a day to take the car to the dealer. I bought it and I've never cracked a single quart in the eighteen months we've owned the car. Right now, it's about half a quart low and we're due for service in the next couple of thousand miles. (I like to change the oil every seven thousand or so, though it's much faster than the factory schedule. That's why the earlier visit to the dealer. This coming occasion will be the first scheduled maintenance of our ownership.)

Engine temps: On the road and at the race track, the coolant temperature needle might as well be painted on after the first couple of miles to warm up. The oil temperature takes an extra few miles to catch up and then runs a consistent slight differential above coolant temp as it should. Neither is ever a problem, nor even something that demands my attention. I doubt I'd know what they run specifically if I weren't a retired engineer who's been both a pilot and race driver. But I am all three and can testify that the temperatures remain constant not only in stop-and-go freeway traffic but under the continual full-power demands of a track at desert temperatures.

I wouldn't hesitate to give this car to my aged aunt as a daily driver. Except the excitement and simple joy of driving it might cause her to refuse to return it.

Buy the most recent one you can afford, simply because they keep getting better with every new model, but buy one. You'll love it.

Gary

Old 04-18-2011, 03:02 PM
EJ-997 is infamous around these parts
I got my 08C2S in Aug 08. It has 18000 miles. Only problems have been the cd player had to be replaced and the tires replaced.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:25 PM
chinsky is infamous around these parts
I agree with Gary and others. I have an '08 C4 Cab that I brought new as a leftover in the spring of '09. In these two years, I've put over 33k on it in daily driving, all conditons, with winter and summer tires. I have had one or two minor warranty items (bad cupholder door) but it is solid in every sense. It still feels as tight as it did after the initial break-in. Time will tell if it proves as durable as my BMW and Saabs (150-190k on those) but I'm extremely optimistic (knocking on my wooden head right now). Mine is a 6 speed so I can't comment on PDK or Tip.

I added a fair bit of oil during the first 12k and I spend a fair bit on tires and wheels. The potholes in NJ eat the wheels up. But these expenses are well worth the thrills and smiles. This is about as much fun as you can have on 4 wheels (unless you count "parking").

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is Consumer Report right on 997s problems?