997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Buying suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:30 PM
LiquidLobotomy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by pvanosta
viv-1,
Based on the above requirements (automatic, reliability, safety features, $15K), I would strongly recommend looking for a Boxster S tiptronic.
It ticks all the boxes and will be fun for the both of you.

I know people who bought a used Boxster as a beater, hoping the engine would break so they could shoe-horn something big and dangerous in its place.
40,000 miles later, it is still humming along without a care.

Anything else at that price point, will be older and more delicate in terms of reliability.

As an example, I saw a 2000 Boxster S- Tip with 63K miles for $14,995 (asking).

My $.02
This.

The Boxster is a fabulous car in its own right, and would be a world-class decision for a "2nd car." Put the top down, find a winding road and you're in heaven.

I know you've mentioned it twice, but you need to seriously discuss a manual tranny with the better half. Like you, I just came from a 6-speed manual 3 series and Porsche's is so much better/refined it's not even in the same ballpark. Can she drive a stick at all? If so, suggest a test drive (or three) with a combination of tips and manuals just to make sure this is a deal breaker. At the risk of beating my chest a bit, my wife insisted on a manual for her Audi station wagon and loves driving my Carrera.

So I'd limit your search to the Boxter, or a 964/993 Carrera. These two models run from 1989 through 1998 and would be a righteous introduction to the marque. The 964 also heralded the introduction of the tiptronic, but you already know my opinion on that. Don't go down the road of a 944; I had a 944S2 a while back and, while it was a great car, you would have to get very lucky to find one better than a modern 911 or Boxster. YMMV.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:13 PM
SilverSled is infamous around these parts
Whatever you do try to get something that is CPO'd.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:20 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
In case there was any doubt these cars can run forever....

http://www.renntrack.com/forums/show...ievers&p=19041

Jason

Old 04-21-2011, 09:29 PM
simsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond reputesimsgw has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pvanosta
viv-1,
Based on the above requirements (automatic, reliability, safety features, $15K), I would strongly recommend looking for a Boxster S tiptronic.
It ticks all the boxes and will be fun for the both of you.
Sounds like a good fit to me also.

Gary

Old 04-22-2011, 07:40 AM
llngoc is infamous around these parts
Can't agree more. My first Porsche was a 2000 Boxster with manual and it was tons of fun to drive even though it was not fast.

Heck, even my wife's current Cayenne is a ton of fun to drive. It drives better than most Japanese "sports" sedan and even our (now gone) BMW Z3.

Originally Posted by simsgw
Sounds like a good fit to me also.

Gary