997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Garage kept Vs outdoor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 11:49 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Garage kept Vs outdoor

Every Porsche I have ever owned has been a garage kept car . As my Honda and M3 add more miles I do consider the next daily driver . I can not bring myself to park my 911 outside but could i do it with a Panamera ? i don't know.
One thing I am sure of .. a black Porsche outside would defy any detailer .

Oddly enough the Honda has taken the outdoor life pretty well .

So my question is has anyone ever owned an outdoor Porsche and how well did it wear ? The question can include those who bought used cars which may have spent the first part of ownership outdoors.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:51 AM
Comet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to allComet is a name known to all
my 911 stays outdoors
but we have awesome weather year round and it is in the shade all day (except when driven)
it is just an inconvenience when it rains, but all my cars in Lebanon get treated that way and I never had problem with paint or anything

Old 04-20-2011, 07:02 AM
terpsred has a spectacular aura aboutterpsred has a spectacular aura about
I know several outdoor P-Car owners. The paint, light housings, rubber, and dashboards take a real beating from the UV and other Mid Atlantic weather/birds/bugs/Pollen/Etc.

I have more cars than garage space so some car has to sleep outside. It is NOT the Porsche. My Silver Honda Pilot has done just fine since 2004 camping outside year round.

I'm continually impressed with how well Honda's keep up with the everyday life. Paint, interior, and mechanicals are still in great shape for being nearly 8 years old.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:15 AM
jacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nicejacques1960 is just really nice
I live in Baltimore and have had no problems at all; a NOAH breathable cover is more than adequate protection year round. A quick pass with a California duster and some glass touch up and all is well. No worries

Old 04-20-2011, 07:33 AM
tnoice is infamous around these parts
Unless it has tinted windows and the owner used a sunshade to prevent the UV damage to the interior, I would have to lean towards a garage kept car. It all depends how it was taken care of when it was parked outside. In our area, I would never have the Porsche spend a night under the stars. Our weather changes on a moments notice.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:59 AM
ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !ConcreteRon Is a GOD !
My 2006 Cayenne, now with over 80000 miles has spent its entire life outside and faired much better than I would have thought. I think the important part is frequent washings (Weekly in my case) and good wax protection at least three or four times per year. I also was diligent in removing bird droppings and other harmfull stuff ASAP.
Funny, Larry, that you say maybe a Panamera. I am not sure I could bring myself to leave the 911 or Cayman outside (Certainly not the BLACK...Cayman). Looking to replace the Cayenne in the next six months or so and will have to leave whatever I get outside.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 AM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
I've got a red Subaru and a silver Mazda 3 that mostly live outside. The Porsche always gets a spot in the garage, and the Subaru lives in the garage when there's room, but is the first car (obviously) to get kicked out.

What I've noticed is that the silver Mazda fares much better than the Subaru. Darker paint is not only tougher to maintain in general, but it raises interior temperatures inside the car as well. But it's also an unfair comparison because the Subaru is our Colorado car - meaning it goes on camping trips, down bad roads to remote trailheads, gets filled with dirty gear, etc. The Mazda is just the point A to point B car for airport duty and around town stuff.'

But the Porsche that lives in the garage is ALWAYS easy to wash - never requires any deep cleaning except for occasional bugs on the front end. The cars that sit outside are a few levels harder to wash - they always have some stains, and things that are baked into the paint. And they need to be waxed at least twice a year.

Personally, I'd have a hard time parking any Porsche outside, but I think you could do a lighter colored Panamera, keep it well protected with wax/sealant, and be just fine. It sounds like you are quite meticulous with your cars, so I really don't think you'd have a problem.

Of course, I've got a buddy who buys his cars to USE them, and never worries about what they look like! I'm sure his stress level is considerably lower than ours

Old 04-20-2011, 10:33 AM
sizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond reputesizquik has a reputation beyond repute
I bought mine used and keep it parked in a carport. It gets a bit dusty sometimes but other than that, no issues other than the occasional squirrel foot prints across the hood. That said I bought a silver car knowing that I would be parked outside. I would not have bought a high maintenance color like black for instance.

Old 04-20-2011, 11:13 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
My Porsche lives in the garage.

On an interesting side note. There are a lot of Porsche's at a lot of dealers that sit outside for significant amounts of time.

For example, there are several Porsche's at my local dealer that have sat outside for approaching a year now. As others have said, frequent washing really keeps the paint/clear looking fresh more than anything else.

Jason

Old 04-20-2011, 03:24 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
i can't imagine parking my Pcar outside..

my DD is parked outside and it does take its toll in time from the sun, rain, dust, tree sap and pollen, bird ****, and maybe worse if u have jealous neighbors..lol

be careful with any car covers.. if ur car has dust, u can scratch the paint.. if u have moisture underneath, u can also have problems.

Larry, build a new garage..
like this guy https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...e-project.html

now that's a garage !!

Last edited by crazycarlitos; 04-20-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:28 PM
surfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond reputesurfah has a reputation beyond repute
Porsche and Element are both garaged. Sun out here is brutal and rain is unpredictable. Much easier to keep the P-car clean as it is garaged at work and home.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:14 PM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
I keep the car outdoors most of the time, however every time I park I cover it with the outdoor Porsche car cover that I have.

I won't cover it however if the car became dirty during driving. In such case I will wash it first.

The car cover I think is the next best thing.

Also I am thinking of getting a canope to cover half my driveway. It will definitely help...

Get a car cover. It takes no more than 1 minute to cover/uncover the car. I think it will make a bit difference in the longrun...

Old 04-20-2011, 10:05 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Personally, I'd have a hard time parking any Porsche outside, but I think you could do a lighter colored Panamera, keep it well protected with wax/sealant, and be just fine. It sounds like you are quite meticulous with your cars, so I really don't think you'd have a problem.
I agree with you and others who shared that sentiment . I wrote a long post and then came back to it to shorten it.

The gist of it was that i feel the biggest confusion I face is wrestling with parking a car outside and considering the next daily driver as a Porsche Panamera . Then to add to the confusion is that there are so many Panamera cars to choose from with a huge range in price and performance .

I keep coming back to my M3 . It's ideal to park outside but the next generation M3 is supposed to be a Turbo and I lack confidence with BMW Turbo engines. It's also a contender .

Parking outside , combined with price , and the need for daily use make the choice tough.

Last edited by yrralis1; 04-21-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:11 PM
Originally Posted by ConcreteRon
My 2006 Cayenne, now with over 80000 miles has spent its entire life outside and faired much better than I would have thought. I think the important part is frequent washings (Weekly in my case) and good wax protection at least three or four times per year. I also was diligent in removing bird droppings and other harmfull stuff ASAP.
Funny, Larry, that you say maybe a Panamera. I am not sure I could bring myself to leave the 911 or Cayman outside (Certainly not the BLACK...Cayman). Looking to replace the Cayenne in the next six months or so and will have to leave whatever I get outside.
I've considered a Cayenne but I really like the Panamera . Oddly enough I would feel more comfortable parking a Cayenne outdoors . It's odd that i feel this way because a Cayenne is not an inexpensive car . I guess my perception of an SUV is more as an oudoor utility vehicle . I look at a 997 and it just seems so much more fragile when sitting outside in the hot sun or a rain storm.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Recalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really niceRecalcitrant is just really nice
Originally Posted by jacques1960
I live in Baltimore and have had no problems at all; a NOAH breathable cover is more than adequate protection year round. A quick pass with a California duster and some glass touch up and all is well. No worries
This.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Garage kept Vs outdoor