997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Center Muffler Bypass

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 09:46 PM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
This is probably the first mod that I will do to the car. I am expecting a slight increase in volume but nothing overdramatic...

I am assuming that no guaranty issues will o cur with this mod, right?

Old 04-28-2011, 08:44 AM
akbjr is infamous around these partsakbjr is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wjohnson36
Very interested to hear your impressions after getting it installed. I'm itching to pull the trigger, but being patient.

OK

So the bypass has been on for a week roughly. I went through headers and 200 cell cats previously which were too loud for a DD IMO.

With PSE off there is a slight change from 2K RPM onwards, I am sure I can hear it. As the engine warms up it sounds a bit better.

With PSE ON there is a definite change in rumble and also a nice rasp after 3K which reminds me of the header cat system I had on previously. Sounds awesome and not as crazy as the header cat system, and feels a bit better also. I do beleive the sound has changed in tone in the last few days and I think will continue to do so as it breaks in. Its only been 50 miles or so since I got it done. I am not sure a video would do justice but I can try.

Anil

Old 04-28-2011, 08:45 AM
Originally Posted by kouzman@yahoo.c
This is probably the first mod that I will do to the car. I am expecting a slight increase in volume but nothing overdramatic...

I am assuming that no guaranty issues will o cur with this mod, right?

Kouz,

its after the CAT so you will not have an warranty issues. I see you are in Canada, do you know a Naveen Power by chance?

akb

Old 04-28-2011, 08:59 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I do beleive the sound has changed in tone in the last few days and I think will continue to do so as it breaks in.
What physical property do you think will break in as a function of time/miles?

Old 04-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Alan C.
What physical property do you think will break in as a function of time/miles?
I was told that some carbon deposits will improve the sound with time.

akb

Old 04-28-2011, 10:18 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Thanks for the feedback and short-term results. I'm thinking I'll go ahead with this in a few weeks. Any/all additional feedback or vids would be great!

Old 04-28-2011, 02:39 PM
996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough
i just put my order in for the SW exhaust I will write up when I get it installed. You cant go wrong with it

Old 04-28-2011, 07:36 PM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by akbjr
Kouz,

its after the CAT so you will not have an warranty issues. I see you are in Canada, do you know a Naveen Power by chance?

akb
that's good to know...

Actually i am located in New York...

I might pull the trigger on either the AWE or the Sharkwerks unit in the coming weeks...

I will definitely report and try and make a couple of videos...

Old 04-28-2011, 08:14 PM
that's good to know...

Actually i am located in New York...

I might pull the trigger on either the AWE or the Sharkwerks unit in the coming weeks...

I will definitely report and try and make a couple of videos...
I a sure both are good, you will not be disappointed with sharkwerks, customer service, shipping, packaging, all was top notch.

anil

Old 04-29-2011, 06:23 AM
Mark Ducati is infamous around these partsMark Ducati is infamous around these parts
I bought the FabSpeed X-Bypass pipe... sound? Yes, maybe like 10 more decibles, but its not an in your face change.... then again, the last exhaust mod I did was add the Mild-2-Wild switch remote which opens the two middle butterfly valves on my Z06 permanently. THAT $225 mod made a huge difference in sound compared to the primary bypass pipe for the Porsche.

As for extra power... none that I could notice.

IMNSHO, if you're going to do the primary bypass, you might as well do the secondary bypass pipes too... that's where all the sound and power will come from as I understand it.

But... I've also read that the secondary pipes make the car no longer sound like a Porsche and it can be obnoxiously loud... loud doesn't scare me, I then had electric cutouts placed just after the cats on my Z06.... now that was obnoxious having 565 horses screaming from a 7 liter V8!

So I guess it depends on what you're looking for... and again, these are just opinions on what I've read... if you're after pure power and dont care so much about the quality of sound, do the primary and secondary bypass with a dyno/tune... if all you care about is more sportier throaty sound that sounds "tuned", go with an aftermarket catback system (I'd still dyno and tune though).

Old 04-29-2011, 12:38 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
I a sure both are good, you will not be disappointed with sharkwerks, customer service, shipping, packaging, all was top notch.

anil
Thanks Anil and glad you like it
Originally Posted by 996CABOVA
i just put my order in for the SW exhaust I will write up when I get it installed. You cant go wrong with it
Cheers for the support Justin:P
OK

So the bypass has been on for a week roughly. I went through headers and 200 cell cats previously which were too loud for a DD IMO.

With PSE off there is a slight change from 2K RPM onwards, I am sure I can hear it. As the engine warms up it sounds a bit better.

With PSE ON there is a definite change in rumble and also a nice rasp after 3K which reminds me of the header cat system I had on previously. Sounds awesome and not as crazy as the header cat system, and feels a bit better also. I do beleive the sound has changed in tone in the last few days and I think will continue to do so as it breaks in. Its only been 50 miles or so since I got it done. I am not sure a video would do justice but I can try.

Anil
Very nice to hear Anil. I'm going to try and get a video for you guys with the PSE as well on a local car. It was originally meant to be somewhat of an alternative to the PSE when the cars came out since we weren't able to order PSE initially but it's neat that it works in conjunction with it I stayed away from headers/cats on mine too due to CELs etc...
Any added drone?
Did you DIY or have a garage install?
We send out instructions with it but there's no drone etc... since you're still using the side mufflers and it's certainly a DIY...
Originally Posted by 996CABOVA
Sharkwerks quality and finish and the fitting is purfectttt...and they are standup guys im getting there exhaust next week for my 2k10 Carrera.
Thanks man and you should have a tracking #
Originally Posted by vraxinus
i would recommend you go to sharkwerks for this..i just got the sharkwerks bypass for my 2011 C2S last month or so and i wouldn't say that you REALLY can notice the difference but you DEFINITELY will notice the difference..not just from the sound but the power also..the low end torque doesn't change but it increases instead!
Thanks for the kind words and for the keen eye out there we minimized welds and bends as much as possible to keep it straight. Compared to the stock 180 degree bends we were happy to easily pick up a few ponies that way

Thanks for the feedback. Who did the install? I'm contemplating it as a DIY project. It looks fairly straightforward, and since I wouldn't be cutting anything or removing any body panels, I think I could do it w/out screwing anything up.

But you never know....
It is really easy. No bumper removal or even lift required Figure an hour or two...

Originally Posted by mmmazing
I have one from sharkwerk. Installed it myself in about 2 hours. Love it.
Danke!

Originally Posted by tcouture
+1 for SharkWerks.

T.
Thank you sir! SW folks are heading up for the Canadian GP soon:P

Old 05-02-2011, 01:19 PM
09 C4S with factory PSE. Recently installed Sharkwerks bypass. I tried to make a video with the PSE on and off while idling and driving, lots of wind but at the beginning and the end of the clips you can hear the difference. Many state that there is no difference after install but I have to say I disagree. Videos are tough to use for discrimination of slight differences but in reality it is very good. Thanks to Alex at sharkwerks for great service.

Having BMC air filters installed later this week, will post an update if I hear any difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5GAxv-40nI

akbjr

Old 05-02-2011, 04:26 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Great vid, thanks for posting! I'm still on the fence with this one. I've been looking for some comparison videos of before/after the installation as I just have a hard time gauging the difference from memory.

Something tells me I'll end up doing it, but if anyone here plans on installing the bypass, try to record a video before you do the install, and then one after. That would be a great comparo.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Great vid, thanks for posting! I'm still on the fence with this one. I've been looking for some comparison videos of before/after the installation as I just have a hard time gauging the difference from memory.

Something tells me I'll end up doing it, but if anyone here plans on installing the bypass, try to record a video before you do the install, and then one after. That would be a great comparo.

What I will try and do is some videos of the car with the stock. I will try and shoot many clips in order to get a good sample. Then when I install it, I will try and shoot the exact same type videos for a disrect comparison.

In the next two-three weeks I will have something compiled.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:20 PM
What I will try and do is some videos of the car with the stock. I will try and shoot many clips in order to get a good sample. Then when I install it, I will try and shoot the exact same type videos for a disrect comparison.

In the next two-three weeks I will have something compiled.
THANKS! Looking forward to it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Center Muffler Bypass