997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Center Muffler Bypass

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:41 PM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Center Muffler Bypass

Looking for any feedback/experience from those have that installed a Center Muffler Bypass. I have a GTS (with PSE) and really enjoy the exhaust note when it's activated, but still interested in something a little more aggressive, but not overwhelming or outright obnoxious.

Any added drone?
Was the exhaust note change really noticeable?
Did you DIY or have a garage install?
Preferred vendor? I've been looking primarily at SharkWerks since the design is more of a cross-over than an X-Pipe or 180-deg bend.

It seems like a straight-forward mod which should have immediate effect, while still utilizing the PSE functionality, so I'm interested, just looking for more info.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:08 PM
OKB
OKB is infamous around these parts
I am looking for one. I dont think the sound will matter to me I know it will be slightly louder. there are sharkwerks, billy boat, fabspeed( i dont like the design), and agency power.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:24 PM
996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough
Sharkwerks quality and finish and the fitting is purfectttt...and they are standup guys im getting there exhaust next week for my 2k10 Carrera.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:50 PM
OKB
and AWE

Old 04-22-2011, 12:28 AM
vraxinus is infamous around these partsvraxinus is infamous around these parts
i would recommend you go to sharkwerks for this..i just got the sharkwerks bypass for my 2011 C2S last month or so and i wouldn't say that you REALLY can notice the difference but you DEFINITELY will notice the difference..not just from the sound but the power also..the low end torque doesn't change but it increases instead!

Old 04-22-2011, 06:53 AM
dallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant futuredallascajun has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by vraxinus
i would recommend you go to sharkwerks for this..i just got the sharkwerks bypass for my 2011 C2S last month or so and i wouldn't say that you REALLY can notice the difference but you DEFINITELY will notice the difference..not just from the sound but the power also..the low end torque doesn't change but it increases instead!
Thanks for the feedback. Who did the install? I'm contemplating it as a DIY project. It looks fairly straightforward, and since I wouldn't be cutting anything or removing any body panels, I think I could do it w/out screwing anything up.

But you never know....

Old 04-22-2011, 07:46 AM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to beholdSuncoastRyan is a splendid one to behold
We used the AWE crossover pipes on a project car for the 12hr Sebring race a while back...

The sound was awesome! Aggressive when on throttle, no drone on long distances and we really liked the sound as soon as you started the car... The quality was excellent and we had a technician install them without any issues. Overall a great product.

We have these listed on our website if you need pricing:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//997GENMUFDEL.html

Let me know if you have any other questions, we are happy to help!

ryan@suncoastparts.com

Old 04-22-2011, 08:40 AM
mmmazing is infamous around these parts
I have one from sharkwerk. Installed it myself in about 2 hours. Love it.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
PB Blaster is your friend.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:50 PM
OKB
its easiest to work on the exhaust if you take the rear bumper off and the heat shields

Old 04-22-2011, 07:52 PM
akbjr is infamous around these partsakbjr is infamous around these parts
sharkwerks

mine being installed monday on 09 C4S with PSE, will let you know how it sounds.

I had previously installed headers and cats, but too loud for me.

akb

Old 04-22-2011, 09:02 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
for the 997.2 cars you can go with Sharkwerks or AWE and use the cross over pipes to by pass and remove the center muffler. There is only a slight very slight change in sound. This was exactly what some where looking for. I've been in cars with this mod and from the inside of the car the exhaust note still sound stock with only a light increase of volume outside the car. There is no drone by removing the center muffler.

I did the opposite for a while and removed the 2 side mufflers and used the center muffler only. The car was lound very very loud. Sounded awesome at the track but on the street it was loud and droned at highway cruising speeds. The center muffler sound not muffle the sound hardly at all. I'm puzzled on why Porsche even uses this center muffler.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:45 AM
OKB
havent you seen the comercials about how 911s are such great all-around cars? theyre not just sports cars anymore.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:45 PM
tcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to beholdtcouture is a splendid one to behold
+1 for SharkWerks.

T.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by akbjr
mine being installed monday on 09 C4S with PSE, will let you know how it sounds.

I had previously installed headers and cats, but too loud for me.

akb
Very interested to hear your impressions after getting it installed. I'm itching to pull the trigger, but being patient.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Center Muffler Bypass