997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Oh Boy! Luggage Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:31 PM
jumpinjohn is infamous around these parts
Oh Boy! Luggage Suggestions?

I have pondered and pondered waiting for the 2012 models, and after 35 years, finally decided to get my dream car! It will be here in about a month... A brand new C4s!

Anyway, I was looking at the luggage options, and I can't tell if Porsche makes any that is specifically made to fit in the odd shapes of a 911.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,
-J

Old 04-21-2011, 09:48 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Soft luggage in the front . The rear seat can take a decent sized suitcase but I prefer soft luggage even for the rear to reduce scratch risks.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
Check out suncoast they have a few options:
http://www.suncoastparts.com/category/9972s_floormats.html

Old 04-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Norman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really niceNorman75 is just really nice
And contrats on the car!!!

Old 04-22-2011, 06:19 AM
slant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura aboutslant83 has a spectacular aura about
TravelPro 22" rollaboard Crew8

Old 04-22-2011, 07:36 AM
cesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura about
The Porsche website has some high end options:

http://shop4.porsche.com/usa/baggage/

Otherwise, I agree with the other poster that soft luggage is the best way to go in both areas.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:01 AM
jumpinjohn is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the suggestions! I will probably just take some measurements and go shopping... Several years ago, Ferrari offered specific pieces that were custom made to fit in their cars. There were some interesting shapes, but every nook was strategically utilized. Don't know if they still do, but I thought perhaps Porsche did the same thing.

Right now it is not a big deal. An old duffel bag will do fine. We just can't wait to drive! Did I mention it is a cab? Will definitely post pictures when she comes in. Been hanging around here for a while absorbing as much as I can.

Thanks to all!
John

Old 04-22-2011, 08:27 AM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
John,
I was in the same boat as you, last september.
The fron trunk will hold a decent carry on bag, while the back seat has ample room for soft bags.
I took mine on a weekend road trip to San Francisco to ttend a friend's wedding (from Newport Beach). I took my girlfriend and had no problem taking enough luggage in my cab for a long weekend for two. Enjoy!

Old 04-22-2011, 08:43 AM
cesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura aboutcesmorris has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jumpinjohn
Thanks for the suggestions! I will probably just take some measurements and go shopping... Several years ago, Ferrari offered specific pieces that were custom made to fit in their cars. There were some interesting shapes, but every nook was strategically utilized. Don't know if they still do, but I thought perhaps Porsche did the same thing.

Right now it is not a big deal. An old duffel bag will do fine. We just can't wait to drive! Did I mention it is a cab? Will definitely post pictures when she comes in. Been hanging around here for a while absorbing as much as I can.

Thanks to all!
John
I have seen some fitted things when we visited the P Museum last year (two bags that apparently fit perfectly into the front) but if I recall they said they fit perfectly in a C2 front and not the smaller C4 front. This seems to be the same thing: http://www.supercarhub.com/Fitted-Lu...rsche-997.aspx

There is also a black waterproof and washable luggage compartment liner I wanted to get for the front trunk that had the same issue in that it was perfect for a C2 but didn't fit a C4.

There are some uber high end things out there on google if you want to look for that (mainly out of the UK). I called home and my wife said what we have that fits is a 21" tumi roller bag and we put a soft sided bag on top of it. Those fit fine.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:10 AM
FI Flyer is infamous around these parts
The Porsche extra-lightweight PTS luggage is wonderful. It comes in colors that match Porsche exterior colors and the extra large trolley case is a perfect fit for the front trunk of my C4S (in other words it fits in the smaller trunk of the all wheel drive car.) I also have two of the medium size ultralight PTS trolly cases. They fit perfectly on the shelf formed when the rear seats are folded down. (I also believe that two medium cases can fit in the front trunk but I am not certain.) They have handles in just the right places to be easy to lift in and out of my car's 'frunk.' The fact that they are light is very much a plus when trying to load/unload them without bumping or scraping anything.

Although they are described as ultralight -- which they are -- they are also sturdy and well constructed. Good wheels and solid pull-out handles. I use them for air travel and they have never been anything but satisfactory. They are light but made of a plastic which is sturdy and not at all fragile.

Branded by Porsche, they are made by Rowena with an extra handle to make lifting them out of the Porsche's trunk easy.

In short, this is an enthusiastic recommendation.

Last edited by FI Flyer; 04-22-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:40 AM
Plp39503 has a spectacular aura aboutPlp39503 has a spectacular aura about
I've used several Tumi 20" or 22" roll-ons in the front. They also fit in the rear. I've been able to fit a Tumi roll-along duffel bag in the back, or I recline the passenger seat, put a thick towel over it and put the bag there (secured by the seat belt). I travel just about every week, haven't had any problems.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:23 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Old 04-22-2011, 06:58 PM
72offsuit is a jewel in the rough72offsuit is a jewel in the rough72offsuit is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by FI Flyer
The Porsche extra-lightweight PTS luggage is wonderful. It comes in colors that match Porsche exterior colors and the extra large trolley case is a perfect fit for the front trunk of my C4S (in other words it fits in the smaller trunk of the all wheel drive car.) I also have two of the medium size ultralight PTS trolly cases. They fit perfectly on the shelf formed when the rear seats are folded down. (I also believe that two medium cases can fit in the front trunk but I am not certain.) They have handles in just the right places to be easy to lift in and out of my car's 'frunk.' The fact that they are light is very much a plus when trying to load/unload them without bumping or scraping anything.

Although they are described as ultralight -- which they are -- they are also sturdy and well constructed. Good wheels and solid pull-out handles. I use them for air travel and they have never been anything but satisfactory. They are light but made of a plastic which is sturdy and not at all fragile.

Branded by Porsche, they are made by Rowena with an extra handle to make lifting them out of the Porsche's trunk easy.

In short, this is an enthusiastic recommendation.
So if the choice is 1 x-large or 2 medium in the "frunk", which holds more?

Old 04-23-2011, 05:22 AM
FI Flyer is infamous around these parts
I'd guess that one XL holds more than 2 medium. Since they can both fix in the "frunk", I'd have to assume that the XL holds more because it has two less interior 'walls' than the pair of mediums. But you con make sure by adding the exterior dimensions of two mediums to see if it is the same or larger than the XL.

Old 04-23-2011, 01:45 PM
boomasta is infamous around these parts
I have a C4S and as I understand it the trunk in the front is actually smaller than a C2...

My wife's Rimowa (the carry-on's) fits exactly in the trunk, but then you really don't have space to fit anything else. You can usually try to fit big luggage sets with the rear seats folded down but getting it in and out is a PITA, and you have to be very careful not to scratch the seatbacks or the paint.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oh Boy! Luggage Suggestions?